The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

I see I'm not the only one who thinks Stocky's room is like foreign country compared to the rest of GMG  8)
Quote from: James on May 08, 2014, 03:38:13 PM
Yea .. Maconie speaks his mind .. you gotta love that. Welcome abroad.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

EigenUser

Quote from: North Star on May 08, 2014, 03:44:30 PM
I see I'm not the only one who thinks Stocky's room is like foreign country compared to the rest of GMG  8)
Haha, that's really funny. I totally missed that!

I think James' goal is to round us all up in there and send the spaceship to Sirius. Stockhausen's final piece -- a true opus posthumous.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on May 08, 2014, 03:44:30 PM

Aye, the land of running/stagnant water!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

Quote from: karlhenning on May 09, 2014, 02:01:18 AM
Aye, the land of running/stagnant water!
Indeed it is the thread for oxymorons.
Stockhausen's music is like that  >:D

EigenUser

Why is GMG showing "Cool Coffee Machines" at the top Amazon banner so much recently (instead of "Really Big Boxes" or "Recently Discussed", etc)? Is this the new listening trend? I mean, I love modern music, but don't we have to draw the line somewhere and have at least some standards and discriminating tastes?

Seriously, though, is anyone else seeing this?

Edit: Maybe it's because I posted this recently --
I also wonder how many members of NARAS who voted for this disc actually listened to it (or anything in the classical category, for that matter). This collection—excuse me, compendium—contains some of the composer's gnarliest music. Fonogrammi, Anaklasis, Partita, and De natura sonoris I consist almost entirely of noise—often wonderful, imaginative noise, but noise nonetheless. When listening to De natura sonoris I, for example, I was so captivated by a strange percussive sound that I went back to listen to it again—only to find it missing. Turns out on closer examination that it was the ice maker in my refrigerator dumping cubes into the hopper. It fit perfectly into the texture of the piece. Indeed, if Mr. Penderecki is listening, I strongly recommend that he consider scoring his next work for a Bosch side-by-side refrigerator-freezer with automatic ice dispenser in the freezer door. It's amazingly musical. - See more at: http://www.classicstoday.com/review/naxos-penderecki-grammy-winner/#sthash.jiZMUf9D.dpuf
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

North Star

Quote from: Gordo on May 09, 2014, 11:17:32 AM
This is a highly debatable thought.
The best usually are  8)
QuoteIt assumes, I guess, for instance, "the banality of evil".
I certainly agree that not every deed has beauty, although every deed, no matter how bad, has the potential of creating more beauty, too.

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Quote from: North Star on May 09, 2014, 11:35:51 AM
every deed, no matter how bad, has the potential of creating more beauty, too.
You have never watched Gigli I take it.

North Star

Quote from: Ken B on May 09, 2014, 11:38:07 AM
You have never watched Gigli I take it.

"The violent story about how a criminal lesbian, a tough-guy hit-man with a heart of gold, and a mentally challenged man came to be best friends through a hostage" with Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez? OK, I see that this movie must be a perfect counter to my statement. Unless perhaps someone realized, seeing this, that movies could be better..

My photographs on Flickr

Wakefield

Quote from: North Star on May 09, 2014, 11:35:51 AM
The best usually are.

Oh, yes, I said "debatable", but I was just avoiding to be rude.  ;) ;D
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

North Star

Quote from: Gordo on May 09, 2014, 02:14:32 PM
Oh, yes, I said "debatable", but I was just avoiding to be rude.  ;) ;D
Would you think it to be rude of me if I wrote here what I thought about replies like 'I was just avoiding to be rude'?  0:)
Again, I don't think Confucius was referring to the Holocaust, or any action, but physical objects.

My photographs on Flickr

EigenUser

Quote from: EigenUser on May 09, 2014, 11:09:50 AM
Why is GMG showing "Cool Coffee Machines" at the top Amazon banner so much recently (instead of "Really Big Boxes" or "Recently Discussed", etc)? Is this the new listening trend? I mean, I love modern music, but don't we have to draw the line somewhere and have at least some standards and discriminating tastes?

*ahem*

Not important, but I'm so curious every time I see that banner.

Apparently, this is a really cool coffee machine:

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on May 09, 2014, 02:59:30 PM
*ahem*

Not important, but I'm so curious every time I see that banner.

Apparently, this is a really cool coffee machine:

There's a Stockhausen concerto for that one.

Wakefield

Quote from: North Star on May 09, 2014, 02:53:51 PM
Would you think it to be rude of me if I wrote here what I thought about replies like 'I was just avoiding to be rude'?  0:)
Again, I don't think Confucius was referring to the Holocaust, or any action, but physical objects.

I know, kindness is highly undervalued these days. O tempora, o mores.

It wasn't your original argument, but I guess it's a nice emergency exit.  >:D  ;D

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

North Star

Quote from: Gordo on May 09, 2014, 03:57:15 PM
I know, kindness is highly undervalued these days. O tempora, o mores.

It wasn't your original argument, but I guess it's a nice emergency exit.  >:D  ;D
My 'original argument' was that I agree regarding deeds, and that Confucius' words make more sense if Everything = every thing.

My photographs on Flickr

Wakefield

Quote from: North Star on May 09, 2014, 04:03:28 PM
My 'original argument' was that I agree regarding deeds, and that Confucius' words make more sense if Everything = every thing.

Perfect! I don't want an argument. I agree on everything, every thing.  :)
-- Voltaire

North Star

Quote from: Gordo on May 09, 2014, 04:11:17 PM
Perfect! I don't want an argument. I agree on everything, every thing.  :)
I'm glad we have settled this thing.

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ken B on May 09, 2014, 03:21:07 PM
There's a Stockhausen concerto for that one.

Concerto? That's a recent photograph of Stockhausen.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

EigenUser

Quote from: karlhenning on May 09, 2014, 06:48:19 PM
Concerto? That's a recent photograph of Stockhausen.
He really let himself go, didn't he?

EigenUser

Quote from: EigenUser on May 09, 2014, 11:09:50 AM
Why is GMG showing "Cool Coffee Machines" at the top Amazon banner so much recently (instead of "Really Big Boxes" or "Recently Discussed", etc)? [...]

More agitated, yet still politely: *ahem*