Author Topic: The Carter Corner  (Read 206283 times)

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: The Carter Corner
« Reply #1520 on: January 10, 2021, 01:21:06 PM »

The Carter I’ve been exploring is In Sleep, In Thunder on the above CD. It’s a piece which seems to grow on me, gets more interesting each time I go back to it.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Archaic Torso of Apollo

• Veteran member
« Reply #1521 on: January 10, 2021, 01:59:36 PM »

The Carter I’ve been exploring is In Sleep, In Thunder on the above CD. It’s a piece which seems to grow on me, gets more interesting each time I go back to it.

I've got that disc, though I mainly listen to the Triple Duo on it. I posted my discontent with Carter's vocal works a couple pages back. Maybe I should give them a try again.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Offline Leo K.

• Veteran member
  • Author of 'False Barnyard'
    • Conceptual Music
  • Currently Listening to:
    Sibelius, Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Bach
« Reply #1522 on: February 18, 2021, 08:45:34 AM »
Carter's Three Occasions for Orchestra is one of the greatest things I've heard. Wow. (Conducted by Oliver Knussen)

Online ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #1523 on: February 18, 2021, 09:00:48 AM »
Carter's Three Occasions for Orchestra is one of the greatest things I've heard. Wow. (Conducted by Oliver Knussen)
Indeed! I must revisit those (I also have the Knussen recording). I had the privilege of seeing the Three Occasions live here in Madrid in 1997, with the London Symphony conducted by none other than Pierre Boulez. The following evening, the same forces perfomed Carter's Symphony of Three Orchestras:)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 01:35:23 PM by ritter »
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
„Gibt es kein Hinüber?
Sind wir schon da?
Wie konnt' es geschehen?
Sind wir schon drüben?“

Offline Leo K.

• Veteran member
    • Conceptual Music
« Reply #1524 on: February 18, 2021, 09:34:13 AM »
Indeed! I must revisit those (I also have the Knussen recording). I had the privilege of seeing the Three Occasions live here in Madrid in 1997, with the London Symphony conducted by none other that Pierre Boulez. The following evening, the same forces perfomed Carter's Symphony of Three Orchetsras:)

WOW I would have been in heaven to hear Boulez conduct those live!!

Offline Alex Bozman

« Reply #1525 on: February 18, 2021, 12:50:33 PM »
Indeed! I must revisit those (I also have the Knussen recording). I had the privilege of seeing the Three Occasions live here in Madrid in 1997, with the London Symphony conducted by none other that Pierre Boulez. The following evening, the same forces perfomed Carter's Symphony of Three Orchetsras:)

The Symphony of Three Orchestras is one of my favourite Carter pieces, would love to see it live. Though I did see Knussen conducting the Symphonia at the Bridgewater Hall.

Online ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #1526 on: February 18, 2021, 01:22:57 PM »
The Symphony of Three Orchestras is one of my favourite Carter pieces, would love to see it live. Though I did see Knussen conducting the Symphonia at the Bridgewater Hall.
Knussen doing the Symphonia must have been quite something! I saw it here in Madrid (the Spanish National Orchestra conducted by Diego Masson).

Cross-posted from the WAYLTN thread:

Oliver Knussen conducts the London Sinfonietta in Elliott Carter’s Three Occasions for Orchestra.

Great stuff! (hat tip to Leo K.)...

EDIT:

And now revisiting the first work by Carter I ever listened to, the wonderful Oboe Concerto (Holliger / Boulez / EIC).

« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 01:32:40 PM by ritter »
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
„Gibt es kein Hinüber?
Sind wir schon da?
Wie konnt' es geschehen?
Sind wir schon drüben?“

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Béla Bartók (1881 - 1945)
    Magyar tánc a faluban
« Reply #1527 on: February 18, 2021, 08:03:39 PM »
Sounds like I’m going to have to listen to Carter’s Three Occasions for Orchestra! Thanks for the heads-up, Leo! And Rafael, that sounded like an amazing concert.
“Competitions are for horses, not artists.”

Offline Leo K.

• Veteran member
    • Conceptual Music
« Reply #1528 on: February 19, 2021, 09:40:47 AM »
Sounds like I’m going to have to listen to Carter’s Three Occasions for Orchestra! Thanks for the heads-up, Leo! And Rafael, that sounded like an amazing concert.

I hope you enjoy - I also enjoyed his 5th String Quartet yesterday, but there is always something special with Carter's orchestral writing, it dazzles!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Béla Bartók (1881 - 1945)
    Magyar tánc a faluban
« Reply #1529 on: February 19, 2021, 08:20:45 PM »
I hope you enjoy - I also enjoyed his 5th String Quartet yesterday, but there is always something special with Carter's orchestral writing, it dazzles!

Thanks, Leo. I did enjoy it for sure. I posted in the ‘Listening’ thread that it sounded like what if Berg had lived well into the post-war era. Another Carter work that impresses me to no end is his Piano Sonata. Such a marvelous work. I need to let his SQs sink in some more --- they’re quite complex.
“Competitions are for horses, not artists.”

Offline springrite

• Veteran member
    Lots of Bach, Brian, Mahler, Rubbra, Beethoven and Buddhist chants
« Reply #1530 on: February 19, 2021, 10:19:28 PM »

Two of my favorite Carter works!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Offline CRCulver

« Reply #1531 on: February 20, 2021, 02:23:07 AM »
I have also been on a Carter binge recently, including the Fourth String Quartet which I had never managed to crack before.

Around the 100th birthday celebration, anti-atonal ideologues claimed that people were only interested in Carter because of his longevity, and interest in his music would swiftly fade after his death. I'm happy to see from the replies here that this isn't quite the case.

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
    Myaskovsky, Schnittke, Pettersson and others
« Reply #1532 on: February 20, 2021, 11:58:30 AM »
I love seeing people like that be proved wrong. Idiots.

Offline Leo K.

• Veteran member
    • Conceptual Music
« Reply #1533 on: February 24, 2021, 06:25:26 AM »
I'm listening to his 1st String Quartet this morning it is such a refreshing work and it does sound revelatory in it's conception as it progresses with this feeling of changing meter or the ebb and flow of the meter.

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #1534 on: February 24, 2021, 04:18:37 PM »

The other day I heard this work, and I must say I did enjoy it. It's rather different from the music I usually listen to. Music to stimulate your brain, and that's precisely been my experience with this composer.
«Music is liquid architecture; architecture is frozen music.»

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Offline (poco) Sforzando

• Veteran member
« Reply #1535 on: February 24, 2021, 04:37:52 PM »
Knussen doing the Symphonia must have been quite something! I saw it here in Madrid (the Spanish National Orchestra conducted by Diego Masson).

Cross-posted from the WAYLTN thread:

But the work on that CD really to hear is the Concerto for Orchestra. I consider that one to be Carter at his greatest, along with the first three quartets. Knussen does a beautiful, well-recorded performance. It was premiered by the NY Phil under Bernstein, whose recording I have been told is insecure and full of inaccuracies. But it has plenty of sweep and power. I've heard it live only once, under Leon Botstein at Carnegie Hall, in a somewhat underpowered and disappointing rendition.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."