Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon

Started by Danny, April 07, 2007, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

the 10th piano sonata in c, Op.137 - a two-page fragment of this unfinished piece is all that survives - the score is not available online from what I have found, and IMSLP forbade it from my Colonial location for download, alas ...  if anyone has access to a cover page or the first page and can provide it, I would carve his/her name into granite that has been stable for millennia overlooking some great ... natural ... tableau.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: relm1 on September 07, 2020, 08:12:14 AM
What do you think of my performance and recording of the Prokofiev Piano Concerto No.3?
https://clyp.it/dwl0csks

I was not the pianist! I was in the orchestra though (low brass).  I also recorded and mixed the concert.  We didn't have tons of mics but I tried my best to make the pianist stand out as the music got more energetic.

Sounds very good. Excellent performance and good recording sound. Did you record the entire Concerto? Will you post it some where?

relm1

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 08, 2020, 06:22:32 AM
Sounds very good. Excellent performance and good recording sound. Did you record the entire Concerto? Will you post it some where?

Thanks mate!  I did record the entire concerto but that free service has a time cap so will see where is a good place to upload.  It was so fun to play it too - there is so much kinetic energy at the end I get swept up in it.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: relm1 on September 09, 2020, 06:06:51 AM
Thanks mate!  I did record the entire concerto but that free service has a time cap so will see where is a good place to upload.  It was so fun to play it too - there is so much kinetic energy at the end I get swept up in it.

Please let us know when you upload the entire Concerto!

Scion7

Your favorite Peter and the Wolf, Op.67 ?

Some of the ones I like:

Narration: Christopher Lee, English String Orchestra, Menuhin
Narration: Sir John Gielgud, Royal Philharmonia, Licata
Narration: Peter Ustinov, Philharmonia Orchestra, Karajan
Narration: Gordon Sumner ('Sting'), Chamber Orchestra of Europe, Abbado

added later:

Narration: Sir Ralph Richardson, London Symphony Orchestra, Sargent
Narration: Sofia Loren, Russian National Orchestra, Nagano
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vers la flamme

Quote from: Scion7 on September 10, 2020, 02:40:40 AM

Some of the ones I like:

added later:

I really want to get a recording of this. It was one of my favorite pieces from high school music appreciation class, but I never got it on disc. I didn't realize there were so many recordings.

Scion7

Wemakeitupedia says 400 recordings have been made.  (cough)

vandermolen

Quote from: Scion7 on September 10, 2020, 02:40:40 AM

Some of the ones I like:

added later:

+1 for Christopher Lee

I seem to recall enjoying Sean Connery and Richard Baker as well but it's been a long time since I heard them.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vers la flamme

Quote from: Scion7 on September 10, 2020, 06:18:20 PM
Wemakeitupedia says 400 recordings have been made.  (cough)

400?! Really?

MusicTurner

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 11, 2020, 03:55:58 AM
400?! Really?

The source is probably this http://www.sprkfv.net/journal/three12/recpandw1.html

The number might be bigger actually, but some of them are probably due to the same recordings being released with different narrators/languages, and in different formats. For example, there were at least 8 orchestral LP and CD versions in Danish, likely more - conductor names being Markevitch, Ackermann, Swarowsky (?), Lenard, Barenboim, Henderson, Stamp, Gustaffson ...

Scion7

Talk about flooding the market!
Plus, a rock and roll arrangement of it was released in 1975 featuring Gary Moore, Bill Bruford, Jack Lancaster, Keith Tippett, Phil Collins, Gary Brooker, Jon Hiseman, Eno, Henry Lowther, et al.

vandermolen

At least, as far as I'm aware, there's no version narrated by Mrs Thatcher as there was with Copland's 'Lincoln Portrait'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Jo498

I know only one P & the W or it might have been two but with the same narrator (Mathias Wieman) who often sounds fairly severe and intimidating. I remember having two different LPs in my childhood, one that came with a picturebook, illustrated by Frans Haacken (probably an older 10" disc with Lehmann) and one with Nutcracker on the B side but they are both narrated by Wieman.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

vers la flamme

Quote from: MusicTurner on September 11, 2020, 05:27:47 AM
The source is probably this http://www.sprkfv.net/journal/three12/recpandw1.html

The number might be bigger actually, but some of them are probably due to the same recordings being released with different narrators/languages, and in different formats. For example, there were at least 8 orchestral LP and CD versions in Danish, likely more - conductor names being Markevitch, Ackermann, Swarowsky (?), Lenard, Barenboim, Henderson, Stamp, Gustaffson ...

Ah! That makes a lot of sense actually. I wonder what's the most obscure language it's ever been recorded in.

Scion7

MusicTurner

Interesting. A couple of other, contemporary ones by Chagall (1912) and Larionov (1910; name mentioned in the sketch by Prokofiev)

Scion7

clearly the top painting is the basis of P's doodle . . .

Scion7

Quote from: vandermolen on September 12, 2020, 07:34:45 AM
At least, as far as I'm aware, there's no version narrated by Mrs Thatcher ...

Thank the Lord for small favours!  Also, the Connery narration has a thick Scots accent, and doesn't work IMO. I kept expecting the orchestra to play the idée fixe from Goldfinger after he spoke.  :P

Scion7

Peter and the Wolf, in Russian - narrated by the Russian writer who premiered the work!
Natalya Sats, Evgeny Svetlanov, USSR State Symphony Orchestra (1970)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-1OWPWzCMM

Ms. Sats in her younger years:

MusicTurner

Quote from: Scion7 on September 13, 2020, 08:49:50 AM
Peter and the Wolf, in Russian - narrated by the Russian writer who premiered the work!
Natalya Sats, Evgeny Svetlanov, USSR State Symphony Orchestra (1970)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-1OWPWzCMM

Ms. Sats in her younger years:

Very interesting, thank you