What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brünnhilde forever

Jlaurson: Where do you live to be so lucky to have a fresh Pretzel for breakfast?  ???

I have mine shipped from a bakery in Atlanta, Georgia, halfways across the US to the State of Washington, frozen, and keep them in the freezer until an hour before eating it, heated up at 375° for five minutes - but it's a long way from a real fresh Pretzel!  :'(

jlaurson

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on February 19, 2009, 05:38:35 AM
Jlaurson: Where do you live to be so lucky to have a fresh Pretzel for breakfast?  ???

I have mine shipped from a bakery in Atlanta, Georgia, halfways across the US to the State of Washington, frozen, and keep them in the freezer until an hour before eating it, heated up at 375° for five minutes - but it's a long way from a real fresh Pretzel!  :'(

My heart goes out to you... but I might be in the same situation soon enough myself, except closer to Atlanta.

For the time being, I live in Pretzeltown-Central.

Brünnhilde forever

Indeed Lucky You, enjoy it while you can. - Interesting map, except I don't think you live in the center lane of a busy München downtown street!

When you get to the Pretzel-underdeveloped country, that's the place, very reliable, mailing you fairly decent Pretzels:

http://www.hofers.com/default.htm

:-*

orbital

An omelette with sun dried tomatoes.

SonicMan46

First, the pic below is one that I posted last year, but virtually the same dinner tonight, i.e.:

Steamed lobster w/ a salad (tonight - arugula w/ mandarin oranges, crumbled blue cheese + raspberry vinigarette dressing (delicious); wine for the evening the new '07 Kenwood Sauvignon Blanc - just $10 or so, plus a good recommendation - I've been drinking this wine for many years and this vintage is delicious for the price; if available, give the vino a try!  :D

Now, a reserved opinion on buying 'live' lobsters removed from the New England/Canadian coast - lobsters that are shipped and then stored in local tanks (like the one purchased today for me) can vary in their quality and taste - yes, the animal is alive (tonight, mine was kicking and claws streached below submersion into the boiling water); however, after 12 minutes (my usual 'steaming' time), the shell was not bright red (a good sign), but had black spots in part - as expected, the meat did not have the usual 'fresh' flavor of this meat and was rather chewy - not the best, so be aware that even a 'live' lobster shipped and waiting for purchase may be a 'concentration camp' victim and just not taste like those that I've eaten many times in New England & Nova Scotia - not bad tonight but a little disappointing!  :-\

Benji

Quote from: SonicMan on February 21, 2009, 05:28:22 PM
First, the pic below is one that I posted last year, but virtually the same dinner tonight, i.e.:

Steamed lobster w/ a salad (tonight - arugula w/ mandarin oranges, crumbled blue cheese + raspberry vinigarette dressing (delicious); wine for the evening the new '07 Kenwood Sauvignon Blanc - just $10 or so, plus a good recommendation - I've been drinking this wine for many years and this vintage is delicious for the price; if available, give the vino a try!  :D

Now, a reserved opinion on buying 'live' lobsters removed from the New England/Canadian coast - lobsters that are shipped and then stored in local tanks (like the one purchased today for me) can vary in their quality and taste - yes, the animal is alive (tonight, mine was kicking and claws streached below submersion into the boiling water); however, after 12 minutes (my usual 'steaming' time), the shell was not bright red (a good sign), but had black spots in part - as expected, the meat did not have the usual 'fresh' flavor of this meat and was rather chewy - not the best, so be aware that even a 'live' lobster shipped and waiting for purchase may be a 'concentration camp' victim and just not taste like those that I've eaten many times in New England & Nova Scotia - not bad tonight but a little disappointing!  :-\

Well the salad sure does look nice!

I wouldn't know what to do if that creature arrived on my plate though. I have to get someone to help me even with a mere langoustine.  :-\

Ok and by 'help me' I mean remove any evidence that is once a living creature. Invertabrates make me squeemish!

Dundonnell

I held a dinner party tonight for three friends. I think/hope that it went well :)

Starter was Scottish smoked salmon with Atlantic prawns, watercress and a seafood sauce with green peppercorns. Followed that with roast partridge(one partridge per person), roast potatoes, parsnips, peas, sauce, redcurrent jelly.

I don't normally cook for more than one person(ie me ;D) so I was quite nervous. Partridge can be terribly dry if overcooked. Seemed to get it right though so quite pleased :)

Lilas Pastia

Taking advantage of a big special on tomatoes (15 pounds for 6$), I prepared a confit de tomates. Tomatoes are cut in half, basted with olive oil and  lined into oiled baking sheets (four of them: 15 pounds is a lot of tomatoes). I sprinkle with coarse salt and put in the oven at 275 degrees for about 4-6 hours. Near the end I baste them with oil again. When the cooked flesh separates easily from the skin I put them in jars with some more oil, salt and freshly ground black pepper.

The confit can be used in many, many recipes. Each batch is flavoured according to the main dish at hand. Basil, chilies, sweet red peppers, garlic, Provence herbs and curry will be added only at that stage.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mog: 100% replicant on February 21, 2009, 05:42:17 PM
Well the salad sure does look nice!

I wouldn't know what to do if that creature arrived on my plate though. I have to get someone to help me even with a mere langoustine.  :-\

Ok and by 'help me' I mean remove any evidence that is once a living creature. Invertabrates make me squeemish!

Hi Ben - LOL!  ;D  Likely my same experience back in the late '60s - just can't remember how I felt?  ::)

But, quite easy - just need some kitchen shearers first - flip the 'cooked' animal over, then simply cut through the tail cartilage & the underbelly - now, you're set to go!

Of course, there are different approaches (and my wife & I tend to go in opposite directions); for me, I first pull off the tail from the animal, just angulate and twist - remove the tail meat and cut into pieces (depending on the size of the lobster) - use the sauce you prefer (melted butter w/ a little lemon is traditional, but I tend to use cocktail sauce w/ some horse radish - up to you!).

Next, the body - some just avoid this part completely, but as an interlude, I pull off each leg and gather what I can - not much to eat there but will delay your next step, i.e. the claws; now, some eat the 'tomale', i.e. the digestive organs - avoid this since there is some evidence of contamination; I've never been an advocate of this step, so not a problem for me.

Finally, the claws - many parts to investigate and eat!  Your need some good tools, i.e. small 2-prong forks & crackers (examples below, but many different variations) - give it a try! 

Benji

Quote from: SonicMan on February 22, 2009, 03:21:30 PM
Hi Ben - LOL!  ;D  Likely my same experience back in the late '60s - just can't remember how I felt?  ::)

But, quite easy - just need some kitchen shearers first - flip the 'cooked' animal over, then simply cut through the tail cartilage & the underbelly - now, you're set to go!

Of course, there are different approaches (and my wife & I tend to go in opposite directions); for me, I first pull off the tail from the animal, just angulate and twist - remove the tail meat and cut into pieces (depending on the size of the lobster) - use the sauce you prefer (melted butter w/ a little lemon is traditional, but I tend to use cocktail sauce w/ some horse radish - up to you!).

Next, the body - some just avoid this part completely, but as an interlude, I pull off each leg and gather what I can - not much to eat there but will delay your next step, i.e. the claws; now, some eat the 'tomale', i.e. the digestive organs - avoid this since there is some evidence of contamination; I've never been an advocate of this step, so not a problem for me.

Finally, the claws - many parts to investigate and eat!  Your need some good tools, i.e. small 2-prong forks & crackers (examples below, but many different variations) - give it a try! 

I don't think I could eat something I have to 'operate' on with what look like surgical tools!  :o

Would it be awfully rude to order just the lobster meat from a restaurant, on a plate with no evidence of its crustacean past? :D

Dundonnell

These tools remind me of that truly horrific film 'Dead Ringers' directed by David Cronnenberg. I remember hiding behind a sofa in a student flat in Dundee trying not to watch any of the second half ;D

Benji

Quote from: Dundonnell on February 22, 2009, 03:29:08 PM
These tools remind me of that truly horrific film 'Dead Ringers' directed by David Cronnenberg. I remember hiding behind a sofa in a student flat in Dundee trying not to watch any of the second half ;D

Oh yes! With Jeremy Irons isn't it? I have a vague memory of being very disturbed (not as much as a Japanese film called The Audition though - that is genuinly terrifying).

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mog: 100% replicant on February 22, 2009, 03:26:12 PM
I don't think I could eat something I have to 'operate' on with what look like surgical tools!  :o

Would it be awfully rude to order just the lobster meat from a restaurant, on a plate with no evidence of its crustacean past? :D

Well, there are less ominous looking lobster tools on the market (some of which we own), so not to worry!  Plus, I've had a lot of lobster dishes at restaurants in which the 'meat' is remove from the shell, so no need to work like a 'surgeon' on the animal (but, hey - this is FUN!).   :)

Benji

Quote from: SonicMan on February 22, 2009, 03:35:58 PM
Well, there are less ominous looking lobster tools on the market (some of which we own), so not to worry!  Plus, I've had a lot of lobster dishes at restaurants in which the 'meat' is remove from the shell, so no need to work like a 'surgeon' on the animal (but, hey - this is FUN!).   :)

I think i'll just stick to bisque...  ;)

Jay F

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on February 22, 2009, 02:46:16 PM
Taking advantage of a big special on tomatoes (15 pounds for 6$), I prepared a confit de tomates. Tomatoes are cut in half, basted with olive oil and  lined into oiled baking sheets (four of them: 15 pounds is a lot of tomatoes). I sprinkle with coarse salt and put in the oven at 275 degrees for about 4-6 hours. Near the end I baste them with oil again. When the cooked flesh separates easily from the skin I put them in jars with some more oil, salt and freshly ground black pepper.

The confit can be used in many, many recipes. Each batch is flavoured according to the main dish at hand. Basil, chilies, sweet red peppers, garlic, Provence herbs and curry will be added only at that stage.
I oven-dry tomatoes this way, too, usually longer (overnight) and at a lower temp. I often use them to make pissaladiere (a Provencal pizza), or just in salads. Sometimes I make a very mustard-heavy emulsified vinaigrette (mix vinegar and mustard, then drip EVOO into it while whisking). I love Kalamata olives with either the pizza I make this way, or the salad. Yum.

I think I'm going to call mine "confit" from now on. Everything sounds better if you say it in French.

orbital

A stew of chard, celery root and chickpeas w/ white rice on the side. Despite the weird combination, it tasted quite good actually.

toledobass

I'm having some sinigang before my concert tonight.  It's a sour filipino soup made from tamarind (usually) broth.  To that broth I usually add   shrimp or pork as the protein, but have also seen many kinds of fish used as well as beef (have yet to see chicken sinigang.  Usually some vegetables get added too.  Sometimes green beans but this time I added some cabbage and onion slices as well as a tomato or two.  I always eat mine with a bowl of rice.  Food that takes me back to my childhood.

Allan

jlaurson

Food mistake tonight: Never go out to restaurants you don't expect to be good.
You think by expecting mediocrity, you can inoculate yourself against disappointment,
but it turns out that mediocre food, even inexpensive, disappoints invariably.
Even worse when the waiter the restaurant (ominously named "Bella Roma", a
variation of which signifies just about EVERY bad Italian restaurant in this region)
asks--in Italian, of course, because Germans love that bit of authenticity whereas I,
although I speak Italian passably well, am annoyed to no end by it--whether it was
good and one is satisfied. What's "It wasn't really below what I expected" in Italian
again?

Insalata Tonno e Fagoli really is only glorified Tuna Salad without Mayo and lots of white beans.
But when it's not even glorified, and there's a huge chunk of canned tuna dumped on a bunch
of beans swimming in their can-juice and one huge piece of onion (basically an inch-thick slice of
a big white onion) with a few alibi-greens sparsely surrounding the mess, then it's difficult not to
be depressed before you've downed the salad.

Avoiding further disappointment, I went the safety route of Pizza. I've had worse (in a place
named "Bella Italia", up the road), but boy was that unsatisfactory, all the same. None of
that sense of fresh strawberries and goodness that you get when biting into a good slice
with fresh ingredients. Just that urge for an extra handful of TUMMS afterwards.

Now I have Brahms' Piano Quartets (1 & 3 w/the Nash Ensemble) and a good cup of black tea with
fresh cream and a bit of brown sugar to calm me before going to bed.

imperfection

2 chicken wings + char siu

SonicMan46

Quote from: jlaurson on February 28, 2009, 02:17:58 PM
Food mistake tonight: Never go out to restaurants you don't expect to be good.............

Jens - sorry about that experience; I could relate many of my own, but just one - we were vacationing in New England, and just came off a wonderful boat ride on one of those lakes (can't remember which one @ the moment), but my wife was hungry for lunch, and we stopped at a 'diner'; sat down, looked at the menu, looked at each other - then the waitress appeared (a sweet young thing) - I could have ordered 'something' (would not have been happy), so I said to the waitress that "my wife finds nothing on your menu of interest, sorry" - so we just got up and left - fortunately found a place a few miles down the road, and had an excellent lunch!  We still laugh over that after many years -  ;D

Tonight out @ our little mountain bistro down the road - Yellow Fin Tuna for me, rare + a side of asparagus - yes, lite + some wine!  :)