What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on July 29, 2014, 01:06:27 PM
I am fixing yummy tofu burgers tonight - they take a bit o' time to prepare but are well worth it.  Anyone want the recipe?

Yummy...tofu...? Does not compute  ;D ;)  I won't touch them but Mrs. Rock would probably like them.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 29, 2014, 01:11:20 PM
Yummy...tofu...? Does not compute  ;D ;)  I won't touch them but Mrs. Rock would probably like them.

LOL -  :D  Description quoted below from the web - bean curd & guys don't seem to go together - ;)

But, the women are more willing w/ this 'food' - Susan has an oriental tofu dish w/ whole grain rice, spinach, & some other ingredients, including sesame seeds - made in a wok w/ some oils (a little sesame & chili) - not bad @ all - asked her to throw in a half pound of shrimp and NOW I enjoy!  Dave :)

QuoteTofu, or doufu, also known as bean curd, is a food made by coagulating soy milk and then pressing the resulting curds into soft white blocks. It is a component in East Asian and Southeast Asian cuisines.

ZauberdrachenNr.7

I've been a "vego-matic" (lacto-ovo) for over 30 years and must say don't miss flesh whatsoever.  Felt much better a week after stopping eating meat and never looked back.  (I've a cholesterol and blood pressure count to die for, if you'll forgive the expression).   Meat seems disturbing to me at this late date and has no appeal at all.  Speaking of dates, I should cook for your wives and be the HERO!!!!  :D  You're right to point out the gender issue involved - never understood that or had it explained, but yes, women tend to be more interested in vegetarianism than their male mates.  Perhaps - speaking traditionally, now - they get weary of cooking it.   Men often associate it - incorrectly I hasten to add - with physical strength. 

Ken B

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on July 29, 2014, 01:06:27 PM
I am fixing yummy tofu burgers tonight - they take a bit o' time to prepare but are well worth it.  Anyone want the recipe?
No need for a recipe, I have a surefire way to make tofu burgers yummy. Substitute beef.

8)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on July 29, 2014, 02:32:05 PM
I've been a "vego-matic" (lacto-ovo) for over 30 years and must say don't miss flesh whatsoever.  Felt much better a week after stopping eating meat and never looked back.  (I've a cholesterol and blood pressure count to die for, if you'll forgive the expression).   Meat seems disturbing to me at this late date and has no appeal at all.  Speaking of dates, I should cook for your wives and be the HERO!!!!  :D  You're right to point out the gender issue involved - never understood that or had it explained, but yes, women tend to be more interested in vegetarianism than their male mates.  Perhaps - speaking traditionally, now - they get weary of cooking it.   Men often associate it - incorrectly I hasten to add - with physical strength.

And don't forget the hunter-killer component. When I throw raw meat on the grill, Mrs. Rock swoons  ;D

But yeah, for some reason, at least in this family, there is a gender divide when it comes to pure vegetable meals. I love veggies but I need meat or fish on the side. Mrs. Rock makes a super Penne all'Arrabbiata...but she always fries up a chicken breast too to go with it. Just for me.

But, please, give me your recipe. I'll try anything once  8)

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 29, 2014, 02:00:13 PM...asked her to throw in a half pound of shrimp and NOW I enjoy!  Dave :)

My kind of tofu  :D

Sarge

EigenUser

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on July 29, 2014, 02:32:05 PM
I don't eat red meat or poultry. Only fish (lots!), milk, eggs, and the usual vegetarian stuff -- since I was 12 (so, about 11 years). I, too, have no desire to eat meat at all. Honestly, there is no particular reason other than simply being a picky eater.

Another odd quirk -- I hate cheese. I absolutely hate it -- ever since I was, say, 4, when I had my last grilled-cheese sandwich (I remember eating them when I was very young, but not later). The only time it is acceptable is when they put a small amount of Parmesan in dipping olive oil at Italian restaurants. I always get pizza without cheese. Yes, it is still pizza. I don't care what anyone says.

Z#7, post the recipe if it is convenient for you. I'm moving out in a few weeks for graduate school and I will need to start cooking for myself again. I'd love to try something new that I would like. I lived in an apartment for my last two years in college. I would occasionally get bursts of energy on the weekend if I was bored and I'd cook something really elaborate (well, elaborate for me, at least :P). Sometimes I'd get too lazy to cook and just have something frozen (veggie burger or fish). Hopefully that won't happen too much anymore.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

North Star

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on July 29, 2014, 02:32:05 PMYou're right to point out the gender issue involved - never understood that or had it explained, but yes, women tend to be more interested in vegetarianism than their male mates.  Perhaps - speaking traditionally, now - they get weary of cooking it.   Men often associate it - incorrectly I hasten to add - with physical strength.
Well, traditionally it was the men who hunted meat - with very little success in the old days, of course - so maybe some feel emasculated by vegetarianism..
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

SonicMan46

Quote from: North Star on July 29, 2014, 03:16:12 PM
Well, traditionally it was the men who hunted meat - with very little success in the old days, of course - so maybe some feel emasculated by vegetarianism..

Well North Star - your statement about 'very little success in the old days' needs clarification, i.e. do you have references to support this fact that you made? 

Before the appearance of agriculture 10,000 or so years ago, man depended on hunting & gathering for subsistence w/ periodic hunting success being likely the most important - the whole Paleolithic & Neolithic culture of spear & arrow points related to killing of animals - plus, there is plenty of evidence of MASS killings of animals by planned maneuvers to run large herds off cliffs and other heights - my point is that man before the advent of agriculture was VERY dependent on killing and eating animal flesh (and likely enjoyed the experience) - just my comments - Dave :)

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: Ken B on July 29, 2014, 02:42:27 PM
No need for a recipe, I have a surefire way to make tofu burgers yummy. Substitute beef.

8)

Hey, Ken, don't have a cow!

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 29, 2014, 02:43:32 PM

But, please, give me your recipe. I'll try anything once  8)

Sarge

Receipt (as they used to say in the old days) below, along with dessert recommend.  You know, Sarge, last time I was in Berlin I was amazed - and delighted - at all the Indian restaurants and veggie fare therein.  When I got back home I told the owner of my favorite Indian restaurant here about it and he said, "Yeah, I ran one there for almost ten years.  Competition was tough!"  (Kleine Welt, nicht wahr?)

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 29, 2014, 02:00:13 PM
LOL -  :D  Description quoted below from the web - bean curd & guys don't seem to go together - ;)

But, the women are more willing w/ this 'food' - Susan has an oriental tofu dish w/ whole grain rice, spinach, & some other ingredients, including sesame seeds - made in a wok w/ some oils (a little sesame & chili) - not bad @ all - asked her to throw in a half pound of shrimp and NOW I enjoy!  Dave :)

Sheer speculation on my part : women may be more sensitive to animals and think more concernedly about the food chain.  PETA, for example, is constantly attempting to recruit more males (sometimes using naked women!) and from that it's a pretty safe guess that females number much higher in their ranks. 

Quote from: EigenUser on July 29, 2014, 02:55:04 PM
I don't eat red meat or poultry. Only fish (lots!), milk, eggs, and the usual vegetarian stuff -- since I was 12 (so, about 11 years). I, too, have no desire to eat meat at all. Honestly, there is no particular reason other than simply being a picky eater.

Z#7, post the recipe if it is convenient for you.

Herr EigenUser :  You're nearly a Vegan.  My wife and I were very good Vegans for 2.5 months but couldn't sustain it.  My first slice of cheddar tasted like heaven (I'm too French to abandon cheese!) - in some ways I envy you - you are likely much healthier w/o it - Have you seen Forks over Knives?

TOFU BURGERS (adapted from Horn of the Moon Cookbook)

2 squares tofu, drained & pressed (1 lb.), ½ c tahini, 4T oil, ¾ c finely chopped onion (1 large), 1T dried dill weed, ½ c finely chopped or ground sunflower seeds, ½ c bread crumbs, 2T tamari, black pepper to taste, whole-wheat flour.  8 or 10 whole wheat rolls.

Cut tofu in slabs, lay slabs between layers of paper towels, set cutting board & canister on top to press for 20-30 minutes.  Mash tofu & mix with tahini in medium bowl until smooth. Heat 2T oil in small pan, sauté onion with dill until lightly browned and add to tofu. Mix in seeds, crumbs, tamari & pepper; adding more crumbs as needed until firm (I add an egg). Using ½ c mixture per patty, form into patties, dipping both sides in whole wheat flour until lightly coated.  In clean frying pan, heat remaining 2T oil. Fry patties over medium heat until browned on each side (this is important as burger easily crumbles when flipping if one side not done). Serve on rolls with your favorite fixings - large slice of red onion and red leaf lettuce recommended - good excuse for ketchup, mustard and relish which I hardly ever eat.  Can also serve as a patty with cranberry sauce. Can freeze leftovers.

MIXED BERRY FROZEN YOGURT (our own recipe)

Mix 1 frozen banana (in chunks), 1 c. frozen mixed berries in food processor.  Blend several minutes, fruit will become powdery, scrape down the sides of processor & keep blending, fruit will pull away from the sides and eventually become like gelato.  At this point add 1/3 to ½ c. of Greek yogurt – I like Greek Gods honey vanilla or salted caramel or Ciobani coconut yogurt.  Makes 2 servings.

Variations:  use all raspberries or blueberries for the mixed berries or fresh frozen peaches (add 1/4t. almond extract).   If you avoid dairy, add small amount of almond milk and/or maple syrup to adjust to preferred consistency/sweetness.

North Star

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 29, 2014, 05:06:50 PM
Well North Star - your statement about 'very little success in the old days' needs clarification, i.e. do you have references to support this fact that you made? 

Before the appearance of agriculture 10,000 or so years ago, man depended on hunting & gathering for subsistence w/ periodic hunting success being likely the most important - the whole Paleolithic & Neolithic culture of spear & arrow points related to killing of animals - plus, there is plenty of evidence of MASS killings of animals by planned maneuvers to run large herds off cliffs and other heights - my point is that man before the advent of agriculture was VERY dependent on killing and eating animal flesh (and likely enjoyed the experience) - just my comments - Dave :)
I recall reading about studies that showed that most of the food hunter/gatherers (probably in some parts of the world) ate was actually the mushrooms, berries, etc, gathered by the women & children of the societies. But there are, and must have been, hunter-gatherer societies where meat is the main source of energy. In any case, I agree that the societies were dependent on meat even if it was much more unreliably available - sometimes the men could slay a large herd of reindeer or whatever, and then there might be a very long time before they even saw more game. Of course there are e.g. the Inuits who eat fish & meat pretty much exclusively - but fishing is a rather different matter.
On agriculture, while farming provided another source of energy, it also made possible growing goats, pigs, poultry & cattle for meat. It would be interesting to see how the advent of agriculture affected the amount of meat in diets.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

EigenUser

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on July 29, 2014, 05:32:44 PM
Hey, Ken, don't have a cow!

Receipt (as they used to say in the old days) below, along with dessert recommend.  You know, Sarge, last time I was in Berlin I was amazed - and delighted - at all the Indian restaurants and veggie fare therein.  When I got back home I told the owner of my favorite Indian restaurant here about it and he said, "Yeah, I ran one there for almost ten years.  Competition was tough!"  (Kleine Welt, nicht wahr?)

Sheer speculation on my part : women may be more sensitive to animals and think more concernedly about the food chain.  PETA, for example, is constantly attempting to recruit more males (sometimes using naked women!) and from that it's a pretty safe guess that females number much higher in their ranks. 

Herr EigenUser :  You're nearly a Vegan.  My wife and I were very good Vegans for 2.5 months but couldn't sustain it.  My first slice of cheddar tasted like heaven (I'm too French to abandon cheese!) - in some ways I envy you - you are likely much healthier w/o it - Have you seen Forks over Knives?

TOFU BURGERS (adapted from Horn of the Moon Cookbook)

2 squares tofu, drained & pressed (1 lb.), ½ c tahini, 4T oil, ¾ c finely chopped onion (1 large), 1T dried dill weed, ½ c finely chopped or ground sunflower seeds, ½ c bread crumbs, 2T tamari, black pepper to taste, whole-wheat flour.  8 or 10 whole wheat rolls.

Cut tofu in slabs, lay slabs between layers of paper towels, set cutting board & canister on top to press for 20-30 minutes.  Mash tofu & mix with tahini in medium bowl until smooth. Heat 2T oil in small pan, sauté onion with dill until lightly browned and add to tofu. Mix in seeds, crumbs, tamari & pepper; adding more crumbs as needed until firm (I add an egg). Using ½ c mixture per patty, form into patties, dipping both sides in whole wheat flour until lightly coated.  In clean frying pan, heat remaining 2T oil. Fry patties over medium heat until browned on each side (this is important as burger easily crumbles when flipping if one side not done). Serve on rolls with your favorite fixings - large slice of red onion and red leaf lettuce recommended - good excuse for ketchup, mustard and relish which I hardly ever eat.  Can also serve as a patty with cranberry sauce. Can freeze leftovers.

MIXED BERRY FROZEN YOGURT (our own recipe)

Mix 1 frozen banana (in chunks), 1 c. frozen mixed berries in food processor.  Blend several minutes, fruit will become powdery, scrape down the sides of processor & keep blending, fruit will pull away from the sides and eventually become like gelato.  At this point add 1/3 to ½ c. of Greek yogurt – I like Greek Gods honey vanilla or salted caramel or Ciobani coconut yogurt.  Makes 2 servings.

Variations:  use all raspberries or blueberries for the mixed berries or fresh frozen peaches (add 1/4t. almond extract).   If you avoid dairy, add small amount of almond milk and/or maple syrup to adjust to preferred consistency/sweetness.
Thank you so much! That sounds excellent. I will report back with a photo of the result when I make it!

I eat way too much seafood to be nearly a vegan... I guess the not liking cheese thing makes it seem like that, though. I have not seen "Forks Over Knives". I just googled it. It sounds vaguely familiar from the wikipedia description.

P.S. "Horn of the Moon" cookbook makes me think of Mahler's songs from Das Knaben Wunderhorn :D.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Sergeant Rock

Receipt (as they used to say in the old days)

The Germans still do: das Rezept  Thanks, I'll make the burgers for Mrs. Rock this weekend.

You know, Sarge, last time I was in Berlin I was amazed - and delighted - at all the Indian restaurants and veggie fare therein.  When I got back home I told the owner of my favorite Indian restaurant here about it and he said, "Yeah, I ran one there for almost ten years.  Competition was tough!"  (Kleine Welt, nicht wahr?)

We had three Indian restaurants here (the small city of Worms). One was strictly vegetarian, the other two served poultry dishes too. Unfortunately the two best closed down a few years ago. The one left is just a fast food hole in the wall with not terribly authentic and rather bland dishes. Fortunately, Mrs. Rock makes great Indian, including a sensational aloo gobi. I suppose I could be a vegetarian if I were Indian  8)

Sarge

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: EigenUser on July 29, 2014, 07:03:08 PM

P.S. "Horn of the Moon" cookbook makes me think of Mahler's songs from Das Knaben Wunderhorn :D.
DES Knaben Wunderhorn (sorry, I paid too close attn. in German)

You should prob. see that film; is quite interesting and came close to converting us to veganism.  Speaking of Master Mahler, he was himself a vegetarian for a long period, but appears later to have fallen off the wagon.  The list of prominent vegetarian composers, according to the International Vegetarian Union website, includes:  Cage; Cécile Chaminade; Foulds; Glass; Grainger (who advanced and preferred the term 'meat-shunner'); Holst; Menuhin; Schoenberg; Schweitzer; Schwertisk; Scriabin; Shankar; Cecil Sharp; Wagner; und Wolf.  I could listen to just these folks and be happy if I had to...

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 30, 2014, 04:14:33 AM
The Germans still do: das Rezept  Thanks, I'll make the burgers for Mrs. Rock this weekend.

We had three Indian restaurants here (the small city of Worms). One was strictly vegetarian, the other two served poultry dishes too. Unfortunately the two best closed down a few years ago. The one left is just a fast food hole in the wall with not terribly authentic and rather bland dishes. Fortunately, Mrs. Rock makes great Indian, including a sensational aloo gobi. I suppose I could be a vegetarian if I were Indian  8)

Sarge

I can understand why Indian restaurants are so popular in England, but I was surprised to see so many in Berlin.  Still, the fact that two of yours died in Worms may say something...  Clearly, Mrs. Rock rocks.  Eons ago, when I worked at the University of Rochester, I worked with two Indians, Datta and a part-time student, Ph.D candidate named Rajeev.  One afternoon, they were chatting about how much they loved to grill steaks when suddenly Rajeev seemed startled and said, "This is weird!  Two Indian guys talking about how much they like meat to an American who's a vegetarian!"   ???

Karl Henning

When were you in Rochester?  I shuttled back and forth to Buffalo to do my doctoral work in the latest 80s / earliest 90s.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: karlhenning on July 30, 2014, 04:52:24 AM
When were you in Rochester?  I shuttled back and forth to Buffalo to do my doctoral work in the latest 80s / earliest 90s.

Born and raised there! and a resident until spring of '94.  Anxious to go back (if I can get my wife to deal with the winters).  My best buds are still there and miss the lilac festival, among other things.  I attended the Jazz Festival there last month.  Did you take the thruway or go out 104 to Buffalo?  If you took 104 you drove right past my (former) house in Clarkson. 

Sergeant Rock

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 30, 2014, 07:58:48 AM
Speaking of tofu: Tofu McNuggets  ;D

http://www.businessinsider.com/mcdonalds-japan-launches-tofu-mcnuggets-2014-7

Sarge

Yum, I want, thanks.  If they're not too greasy.  Maybe if I skip the fries...

So Sarge, personal question for you:  why not Sgt. Fury?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on July 30, 2014, 09:44:53 AM
Yum, I want, thanks.  If they're not too greasy.  Maybe if I skip the fries...

So Sarge, personal question for you:  why not Sgt. Fury?

The Fury comic first appeared after my comic book reading days were over. Rock, though, was part of my childhood.

Sarge