What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on August 19, 2016, 07:56:30 AM
All week my breakfast has been courtesy of the cafe in the Court during my jury duty.

Me: 'Three fried eggs, please"
Counter lady: " Three?"
Me: "Yes. Three."
Counter lady: "And nothing else?"
Me: "And nothing else, thanks".

Apart from this morning -

Me: "Four fried eggs, please."
Counter lady: "  :o "

I try to limit my egg intake but this morning I too indulged: a three-egg omelette filled with smoked salmon, tomatoes, onions and oregano.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 19, 2016, 08:12:14 AM
I try to limit my egg intake but this morning I too indulged: a three-egg omelette filled with smoked salmon, tomatoes, onions and oregano.

Sarge

That too sounds good. And it far exceeds what's offered courtesy of that cafe.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

bhodges

Sergeant Rock

It's mussels season!!! Mrs. Rock cooked mussels in a fabulous tomato and white wine sauce (seasoned with fresh sage, fresh rosemary, onion, garlic and root vegetables). We drank a local Grauburgunder (Pinot gris).

Sarge

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 06, 2016, 12:37:39 PM
It's mussels season!!! Mrs. Rock cooked mussels in a fabulous tomato and white wine sauce (seasoned with fresh sage, fresh rosemary, onion and garlic). We drank a local Grauburgunder (Pinot gris).

Sarge

Mrs. Rock has got you spoiled, Sarge. ;D
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on September 06, 2016, 03:42:11 PM
Mrs. Rock has got you spoiled, Sarge. ;D

I do most of the cooking (I'm retired, she still works) but we both enjoy her cooking when she has the time  8)

Sarge

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 06, 2016, 03:45:50 PM
I do most of the cooking (I'm retired, she still works) but we both enjoy her cooking when she has the time  8)

Sarge

Yeah, that's cool. :)

Here's a sample description of one of the dishes I've been preparing for the last couple of months -

A carb. A fat. A protein.

;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on September 06, 2016, 04:02:35 PM
Yeah, that's cool. :)

Here's a sample description of one of the dishes I've been preparing for the last couple of months -

A carb. A fat. A protein.

;D

A balanced diet...I like it   :laugh:

Sarge

NikF

SonicMan46

Some great looking dishes being posted - recently, I've been reading the book below Real Food/Fake Food by Larry Olmsted - purchased via iBooks - the 3rd chapter on 'Olive Oil' - the 2nd chapter on 'Fish' is just shocking, e.g. 90% of seafood consumed in America is imported and half of that is FAKE!  If you are wondering what you buy at the local markets, then a must read depending on where you live, I guess.

SO, we decided to do more online ordering of both meats, seafood, and olive oils.  A week ago, we received an overnight package from Broken Arrow Ranch which included venison, antelope, and quail (semi-boneless; the latter were from Diamond H Ranch), all in Texas - tonight, Susan decided to sautée the quail w/ her usual recipe (onions, seasonings, dry sherry, etc.) - these birds were 'bigger' than our usual quail and tender - two each was enough served w/ some peas and fresh tomatoes from a friend's garden; I opened a bottle of Pinot Noir - Dave :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 06, 2016, 06:10:58 PMthe 2nd chapter on 'Fish' is just shocking, e.g. 90% of seafood consumed in America is imported and half of that is FAKE!

I saw a graph that showed Germany's fish is only mislabeled 25% of the time...better than America but still troubling.

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 06, 2016, 06:10:58 PMSusan decided to sautée the quail...

We love quail but haven't had it in ages. Need to find a source.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

I cooked tonight: Kebab Halabi (Aleppo). Popular in Lebanon and Syria, it's ground beef seasoned with 7 spice and onions and baked with bell peppers in a spicy (cumin, sumac, garlic) tomato sauce. Served with rice and a green salad. Drank beer.

Sarge

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 10, 2016, 01:30:46 PM
I cooked tonight: Kebab Halabi (Aleppo). Popular in Lebanon and Syria, it's ground beef seasoned with 7 spice and onions and baked with bell peppers in a spicy (cumin, sumac, garlic) tomato sauce. Served with rice and a green salad. Drank beer.

Hey Sarge - that dish looks great - congrats!  Beer sounds like a great choice - tonight, we had halibut (mail ordered from Alaska - so, should be REAL! ;)) - white wine for me - Dave :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 10, 2016, 03:47:28 PM
Hey Sarge - that dish looks great - congrats!  Beer sounds like a great choice - tonight, we had halibut (mail ordered from Alaska - so, should be REAL! ;)) - white wine for me - Dave :)

Our local fish market had a great looking piece of halibut the other day. Maybe I should have listened to Mrs. Rock (who wanted to buy it).

Tonight we had pasta, a new recipe she was anxious to try: whole grain spaghetti in an avocado sauce with cherry tomatoes and fresh basil. Drank a Cava brut. The dish turned out well, unusual but tasty. The wine was a good match. Since I'm no vegetarian, she also fried up some salmon.

Sarge

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 14, 2016, 01:52:40 PM
Our local fish market had a great looking piece of halibut the other day. Maybe I should have listened to Mrs. Rock (who wanted to buy it).

It must have been good enough for Jehovah!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Spawnofsatan

I'm eating shit. My dog just made a fresh one

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 10, 2016, 03:47:28 PMtonight, we had halibut (mail ordered from Alaska - so, should be REAL! ;)) - white wine for me - Dave :)

Saw halibut today at the fish market; remembered your post. Mrs. Rock poached it in a coconut milk sauce with Indian spices. Served with rice, Aloo gobi (cauliflower and potatoes) and raita (yoghurt, cucumber, onions). We drank a 1990 Ruwer Riesling Auslese from Weingut Karthäüserhof (the wine's age noticeable in the intense dark color).

Sarge

Brian

Right now my restaurant review gig has me on something pretty special - a Oaxacan restaurant where they make the mole from scratch. As in, they buy cacao beans and shell them by hand to make their own chocolate...

(it's delicious)

On my first visit there, I ate bugs for the first time, too. Chapulines (tiny grasshoppers) on a tortilla with lots of rich creamy beans. The beans drowned out the bugs' flavor/texture...maybe luckily?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brian on September 22, 2016, 12:24:53 PM
On my first visit there, I ate bugs for the first time, too. Chapulines (tiny grasshoppers) on a tortilla with lots of rich creamy beans. The beans drowned out the bugs' flavor/texture...maybe luckily?

Probably. I ate steamed beetles in Korea. They serve them like popcorn at movie theaters. Nothing to hide the taste/texture. They tasted dusty. The locals seemed to enjoy them  ;D

Sarge

Brian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 22, 2016, 12:34:14 PM
Probably. I ate steamed beetles in Korea. They serve them like popcorn at movie theaters. Nothing to hide the taste/texture. They tasted dusty. The locals seemed to enjoy them  ;D

Sarge
Eep. Dallas has a really vibrant, active Korean food scene, but I have not seen any steamed beetles around. There's a place with a soup that's just bone broth, though.