Unpopular Opinions

Started by The Six, November 11, 2011, 10:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 22, 2015, 08:43:18 AM
I dislike Verdi, Puccini, or their ilk.

This is not an opinion, it´s a statement.  :)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

prémont

Quote from: Florestan on December 22, 2015, 10:45:44 AM

So we should have a thread : Unpopular statements?
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Isn't it a statement of an opinion?

Brahmsian

Whether it is an opinion or a statement, I share this with John.  I think Ilaria would too.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 22, 2015, 08:43:18 AM
I dislike Verdi, Puccini, or their ilk. Whether this is an 'unpopular' opinion, I'm not sure, but there you have it.

I'm with you, John.  I realize these two are sacred cows, probably for a reason, but Italian opera is just not my cup of tea, or cappuccino.

prémont

Quote from: ChamberNut on December 22, 2015, 10:56:42 AM
Whether it is an opinion or a statement, I share this with John.  I think Ilaria would too.

So do I, statement or not.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Brahmsian

Quote from: (: premont :) on December 22, 2015, 10:59:50 AM
So do I, statement or not.

Well, perhaps it isn't as unpopular as we thought?  :D

Jo498

Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on December 22, 2015, 10:53:21 AM
Isn't it a statement of an opinion?

Statement: I dislike Verdi.

Opinion: Verdi sucks.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Florestan on December 22, 2015, 11:15:11 AM
Statement: I dislike Verdi.

Opinion: Verdi sucks.
So maybe you can help me. If I said Sibelius stinks. or Nielsen wears army boots. or Delius wipes Verdi's you know what. Are these opinions or statements? :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Florestan

Quote from: mc ukrneal on December 22, 2015, 11:17:59 AM
So maybe you can help me. If I said Sibelius stinks. or Nielsen wears army boots. or Delius wipes Verdi's you know what. Are these opinions or statements? :)

The first is an opinion, the second a statement, the third a scatological fantasy.  ;D

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

mc ukrneal

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: Florestan on December 22, 2015, 11:44:11 AM
The first is an opinion, the second a statement, the third a scatological fantasy.  ;D

I think your analysis - serviceable on its surface -overlooks the subtlety of human speech.  John's orig. statement is indeed reflective of an opinion - granted, we don't know why, really, he doesn't like Italian opera, but that's not critical to the simple expression of opinion - there can be no doubt from his statement that his opinion is negative.  So, it's implicit in his, yes, statement.  The point I'm making here is that, simply or not so, statements can be reflective of opinions.  As are mc ukrneal's statements, but he's taken these deliberately to extremes to prove the point (I think).

As for Nielsen "wearing army boots," this is an expression, meaning that Nielsen is a slut or whore (origin circa WWI for a 'camp follower').  The speaker might be relating a verifiable fact or one he believes to be true, but knowledge of the expression pretty much means to listeners accustomed to it that the speaker's opinion of this composer is not merely negative, but insultingly so.     

That negativity is further  increased in the last example where a statement is taken to even greater extremes to reflect the speaker's opinion.  In other words, literally, Sibelius and Delius are shitty = opinion.

And may the ghosts of all these composers, Puccini and Verdi as well, have mercy on my soul.

Madiel

Personal statements about one's own listening tastes are unlikely to be unpopular, unless other people feel a need to control your listening.

General statements about composers on the other hand...

Oh, and lumping together all animated TV shows? Puhleease.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

Quote from: orfeo on December 22, 2015, 01:31:02 PM
Oh, and lumping together all animated TV shows? Puhleease.

Yeah, Futurama is AWESOME!

(poco) Sforzando

"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

jochanaan

Imagination + discipline = creativity

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: jochanaan on December 22, 2015, 03:37:37 PM
Only insofar as "Everybody shits." :laugh:

Laughed so hard your statement (or opinion) was almost put to the test... :laugh: ???

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: jochanaan on December 22, 2015, 03:37:37 PM
Only insofar as "Everybody shits." :laugh:

Finally a statement, comment, verbiage to save this thread... :D

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach