Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Irons

Quote from: hvbias on February 10, 2022, 01:38:31 PM
It makes sense from a conductor's point of view, you're no longer relegated to making ~ 20-25 minute movements along with a whole host of other benefits.

Photos of Arrau at the opening of the Polydor pressing plant :)

Great pics. My first thought it appears from a long time ago. Of course 40 years is!
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: hvbias on February 10, 2022, 01:25:19 PM
I was sampling this set this week, *shudder*

Good performances, but do I need a third set of Hartmann SQs? I have Pellegrini and Zehetmair.
That looks like some sort of torture device that someone created!  ???  Shudder...

Quote from: Irons on February 11, 2022, 01:13:30 AM
Great pics. My first thought it appears from a long time ago. Of course 40 years is!
+1 And Lordie, how time flies!  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Scion7

Quote from: JBS on February 10, 2022, 07:46:18 PM

As bad as this is ... and it's 'orrible ... I still prefer it to some of the pretentious posings on CD covers of the past three years by this young crop of musicians arriving on the scene.  Phew!
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

JBS

I can report, having now listened to the recording via the Warner Barbirolli box, that the performance is much better than the image suggests.

staxomega

Quote from: Irons on February 11, 2022, 01:13:30 AM

CD does not feel that old to me  :o Maybe because we came to it a bit late, my dad wasn't a hifi person and we got our first CD player in '89 or '90. I remember staring through the window of the CD player with the disc spinning so fast, and wondering how it could hold all that music. At least with cassettes you could pull the tape out, play with it, wrap your sibilings up like a mummy and see how it could hold all that music.

Quote from: JBS on February 11, 2022, 07:57:23 PM
I can report, having now listened to the recording via the Warner Barbirolli box, that the performance is much better than the image suggests.

Yes indeed, that performance was new to me through the Barbirolli box, quite enjoyable. I think the art would have been fine had the bust looked like Mozart. I like that they went to the effort of contouring the text to forehead, down to parts of text being lifted up from things like the wrinkles in the paper.

staxomega

Quote from: geralmar on February 12, 2022, 10:03:06 PM

Purely personal opinion; but I have owned this L.P. for four decades and still consider it having the most off putting cover in my record collection.  First because Scheherazade is reduced to serving girl status in the illustration-- not even her face is visible and the work is "Scheherazade", not "Sultan"; but second and more objectionable the Sultan's face is TOO detailed-- almost certainly modeled after a real person.  The illustrator and his subject might have gotten a chuckle out of it-- but I think it trivializes the work and recording.  Of course it also means I've wasted too much of my life obsessing over it.

What a coincidence, I made a long post on Scheherazade on another board this morning. I posted this artwork as one that I like (also love the performance):

Is that performance with Maazel good?

Jo498

I don't much care for Sheherazade but I love many of the 1950s DG covers when they had the simple yellow bar at the top instead of the more elaborate "cartouche". I kept a few  7" and 10" vinyl I got in Ebay hauls years ago only for these covers (although I have not yet managed to use them as decoration for an "audio room"...

But nice covers is another thread... FWIW I am not fond of the London/Maazel cover but don't find it that offensive either.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on February 13, 2022, 06:46:16 AM
The language on this is Portuguese. I wonder why.
In the days of LP, DG (and other labels) released many records in Spain with Spanish language covers and booklets (I remember getting —in the late 70s— the Böhm set of the complete Mozart symphonies in that guise). I believe the pressings were local as well. I suppose a similar thing happened in Portugal (perhaps even in Brazil?).

EDIT:

Discogs gives Brazil as the country of release of that particular LP of Fricsay's Sheherezade pictured above. (https://www.discogs.com/release/13341542-Nikolai-Rimsky-Korsakov-Ferenc-Fricsay-Radio-Symphonie-Orchester-Berlin-Scheherazade-Nach-Tausend-Un).

Iota

That's very weird indeed! It reminds me a bit of Jeff Bridges, if he'll pardon me for saying so ..

If it's meant to be Jupiter suffering the effects of runaway entropy, or perhaps the morning after one of Johnson's No.10 lockdown parties .. it seems entirely unfitting for the Mozart symphony. Though I imagine if Schnittke had written something with that name, it could have been an inspired choice.

Jo498

Jupiter after a thunderbolt was reflected back and hit him...

The picture on the Fricsay cover was the same in the German version; this is also findable on discogs, only very small.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

staxomega

Quote from: Florestan on February 13, 2022, 06:46:16 AM
The language on this is Portuguese. I wonder why.

This was an image I pulled off the web, ritter seems to have spotted the source. I don't have the CD at this location to say what language it is in.

Quote from: Jo498 on February 13, 2022, 08:43:18 AM
The picture on the Fricsay cover was the same in the German version; this is also findable on discogs, only very small.

That's why I used that image, it was the largest Google Images brought up for that art.

Jo498

The cover that was not easily available larger, was the Fricsay.
Interestingly the picture was re-used a bit later in the 1960s DG style. Note the decidedly German spelling "Scheherazade" and "Korssakoff" (the latter is actually uncommon or obsolete by now, I think, it would be "Korsakov" or "Korsakow" although there never was a really consistent spelling of Russian names in German).

- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

Quote from: hvbias on February 12, 2022, 09:03:13 AM
CD does not feel that old to me  :o Maybe because we came to it a bit late, my dad wasn't a hifi person and we got our first CD player in '89 or '90.

...so only about 32 years ago.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

JBS

Quote from: Jo498 on February 13, 2022, 10:16:33 AM
The cover that was not easily available larger, was the Fricsay.
Interestingly the picture was re-used a bit later in the 1960s DG style. Note the decidedly German spelling "Scheherazade" and "Korssakoff" (the latter is actually uncommon or obsolete by now, I think, it would be "Korsakov" or "Korsakow" although there never was a really consistent spelling of Russian names in German).

The transcription from Russian to German "-jew" for the syllable that in Anglophonic is transcribed "-yev' (as in Tanejew/Taneyev) used to stop me in my tracks (since I'm Jewish) although I'm more used to it now.

Madiel

If there's one thing that learning other languages really teaches you, it's that different people have very different ideas about what the same 26 symbols actually represent.

Putting aside all the ways in which English's internal ideas on that question are thoroughly scrambled...

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on February 14, 2022, 11:50:53 AM
If there's one thing that learning other languages really teaches you, it's that different people have very different ideas about what the same 26 symbols actually represent.

I do wonder what sort of a Jew is a "tane Jew" (Tanejew).  :D

Does "tane" mean anything in English?

Afaik, "pula" is the Botswana currency, but go asking a Romanian what "pula" means...  ;D