The attack of the Band Junkie arpeggio

Started by arpeggio, September 05, 2016, 07:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Hilltroll73 on September 08, 2016, 01:41:06 PM
Sorry about the 'What Ho'. I'm reading Wodehouse lately.

Nothing to apologize for, old fruit!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Johnnie Burgess

arpeggio

Notice to all of the Talk Classical immigrant's.

Managers of the site now concede that the situation there has deteriorated there over the past three months.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: arpeggio on November 12, 2016, 12:26:38 PM
Notice to all of the Talk Classical immigrant's.

Managers of the site now concede that the situation there has deteriorated there over the past three months.
I saw the post. I wouldn't really call us 'immigrants' as collectively all our situations are rather different. I was banned for pointing out that the admin left a link open he shouldn't and I saw what was happening in the staff only area. Mirror Image was banned well before this wave of new members arrived at GMG. Mahlerian was a moderator who was stripped of his position without his knowing. Honestly I really just prefer a smaller site like this one where there are more interesting discussions and we are allowed to actually talk about politics (unlike over there). I browse the old place from time to time and I've come to realise that there are very few threads being created that result in interesting, in depth discussions and way more polls and 'what is your favourite piece' threads. I like polls when interesting discussions arise from them......

arpeggio

Quote from: jessop on November 12, 2016, 01:38:40 PM
I saw the post. I wouldn't really call us 'immigrants' as collectively all our situations are rather different. I was banned for pointing out that the admin left a link open he shouldn't and I saw what was happening in the staff only area. Mirror Image was banned well before this wave of new members arrived at GMG. Mahlerian was a moderator who was stripped of his position without his knowing. Honestly I really just prefer a smaller site like this one where there are more interesting discussions and we are allowed to actually talk about politics (unlike over there). I browse the old place from time to time and I've come to realise that there are very few threads being created that result in interesting, in depth discussions and way more polls and 'what is your favourite piece' threads. I like polls when interesting discussions arise from them......

I am open to any suggestions on what we should call ourselves.  In my case I am an immigrant.

I just fell out of my chair when Krummhorn admitted they were having problems.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

I don't know about anyone else but I'm gonna call myself a proud GMGer if that's ok

arpeggio

Quote from: jessop on November 12, 2016, 03:41:09 PM
I don't know about anyone else but I'm gonna call myself a proud GMGer if that's ok

Sounds good to me.  GMG's gain, TC's loss.

arpeggio

Quote from: arpeggio on November 12, 2016, 01:53:26 PM
I just fell out of my chair when Krummhorn admitted they were having problems.

I appears that they are finally taking action against the anti-modernists at Talk Classical.  In every classical music forum I have participated in there is always a small clique that believes that the forum should concentrate on only the music of the great masters of the 18th and 19th century.  They try to take control and drive the riff raff out.

They actually succeeded in doing that at the Amazon Cite a few years ago and almost destroyed it.   It still has not fully recovered.

It seems that the managers at TC now recognize the problem there and are taking action.

In a recent thread about Elliott Carter the usual suspects showed up and started to trash Carter.  On of the moderators went and deleted all of the offending posts and issued a warning that if you do not like modern music stay out of threads about modern music. 

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: arpeggio on November 23, 2016, 09:58:20 AM
I appears that they are finally taking action against the anti-modernists at Talk Classical.  In every classical music forum I have participated in there is always a small clique that believes that the forum should concentrate on only the music of the great masters of the 18th and 19th century.  They try to take control and drive the riff raff out.

They actually succeeded in doing that at the Amazon Cite a few years ago and almost destroyed it.   It still has not fully recovered.

It seems that the managers at TC now recognize the problem there and are taking action.

In a recent thread about Elliott Carter the usual suspects showed up and started to trash Carter.  On of the moderators went and deleted all of the offending posts and issued a warning that if you do not like modern music stay out of threads about modern music. 
I reported the obvious troll.......

Crudblud

Quote from: arpeggio on November 23, 2016, 09:58:20 AM

I've always been against deleting posts, half a thread shouldn't be removed just because the posters involved didn't tread on eggshells around each other. It's a silly practice and it only invites endless repeat performances of the very thing they're trying to stop by doing it. Instead I think they should just remove the rule against criticising posting styles. The minute that rule is gone all the worst posters on TC lose the one leg they had to stand on. Might even be worth going back there if that were to happen.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Normally on that site whenever I had reported anyone I asked them specifically not to remove the post but rather just please have a word with them. Unfortunately the posts are always deleted.

bhodges

Guys, from the moderators, just a friendly reminder: we are not in the business of discussing other boards here (especially their shortcomings). If you want to discuss TC or other places, please do it via private messages.

Thanks. (And glad you're having a good time here.)

--Bruce

arpeggio

Sorry.  I apologize for the indiscretion  :-[

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Brewski on November 23, 2016, 12:07:04 PM
Guys, from the moderators, just a friendly reminder: we are not in the business of discussing other boards here (especially their shortcomings). If you want to discuss TC or other places, please do it via private messages.

Thanks. (And glad you're having a good time here.)

--Bruce
Noted, and really I'd rather not talk about TC here anyway when there are many more interesting things to discuss.

arpeggio

I have been involved with several classical discussion groups over the years.

In one of them it got so bad that as a result of the anti-modern music animas there were no threads concerning post-19th century music for 18 months.  The activity there collapsed and eventually slightly recovered.  The anti-modern music attacks calmed down when members discovered that it drove many people away,

I eventually started to participate in another forum.  It was OK for a few years but eventually the anti-modern music trolls took control and ruined that forum for me.  They are right now trashing Cage and whatever in several threads.  Some of the entries were interesting when they started but eventually the discussion degenerated into a series of juvenile jokes.

I know the moderators do not like us to discuss other forums but the situation here is so much more civilized than what I have experienced in other forums.  I have no idea what you guys are doing but I think you are doing a great job.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: arpeggio on January 06, 2017, 09:52:39 PM
I have been involved with several classical discussion groups over the years.

In one of them it got so bad that as a result of the anti-modern music animas there were no threads concerning post-19th century music for 18 months.  The activity there collapsed and eventually slightly recovered.  The anti-modern music attacks calmed down when members discovered that it drove many people away,

I eventually started to participate in another forum.  It was OK for a few years but eventually the anti-modern music trolls took control and ruined that forum for me.  They are right now trashing Cage and whatever in several threads.  Some of the entries were interesting when they started but eventually the discussion degenerated into a series of juvenile jokes.

I know the moderators do not like us to discuss other forums but the situation here is so much more civilized than what I have experienced in other forums.  I have no idea what you guys are doing but I think you are doing a great job.

With the exception of perhaps a few more troublesome members here on GMG (and they're few and far between), I believe all of us realize that people are free to express their opinions and enjoy the music that gives them pleasure without repercussions and fear. Most members on GMG understand that friendly discussion is much more fruitful than nailing a composer they don't like to the cross. When negative opinions are expressed, however, most of us will post our rebuttals and just respectfully disagree. Acceptance of others' opinions is what makes GMG great. You're free to like and express your love for any composer you want to here and it's completely fine with everyone.

bhodges

Quote from: arpeggio on January 06, 2017, 09:52:39 PM
...the situation here is so much more civilized than what I have experienced in other forums.  I have no idea what you guys are doing but I think you are doing a great job.

Thank you (on behalf of my colleagues here). Though we are quite different (and in locales, and in musical tastes, too), we all agree on the dynamics that make GMG a relatively pleasant place.  8)

--Bruce

arpeggio

Last week I had the great pleasure of meeting Someguy.

On Wednesday night he crashed a rehearsal of the City of Fairfax Band.

On Thursday we had a wonderful time at my home listening to everything from Mozart to Mahler to Anders Hillborg. I have always idealized that this is the way classical music forums should be like  :) :) :)

Monsieur Croche

Quote from: arpeggio on March 11, 2017, 09:02:49 PM
Last week I had the great pleasure of meeting Someguy.

On Wednesday night he crashed a rehearsal of the City of Fairfax Band.

On Thursday we had a wonderful time at my home listening to everything from Mozart to Mahler to Anders Hillborg. I have always idealized that this is the way classical music forums should be like  :) :) :)

Fun guy, Some Guy.  Glad youse guys had a good time.
No forum will ever substitute for one on one interactive in real time, no?

Did he seem, uh, a little less tall than you had imagined? ;-)

Always best regards.
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~