Bruckner's Abbey

Started by Lilas Pastia, April 06, 2007, 07:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Speaking of the 6th, just before retiring last night I put on the beginning of Solti's Chicago recording and, surprisingly, I liked it a lot.

Cato

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on January 03, 2019, 10:19:39 AM
Speaking of the 6th, just before retiring last night I put on the beginning of Solti's Chicago recording and, surprisingly, I liked it a lot.

Solti was one of the greats!  He is usually trustworthy: I recall buying his Mahler Eighth Symphony and being a little disappointed not by the conducting, but by the sound engineers fiddling with the knobs at climaxes!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

vandermolen

I enjoyed Nelsons's new recording of Symphony 3, which I think is the first characteristic Bruckner symphony (others may disagree). I think, however, that Szell remains my favourite. One thing irritated me. The booklet was full of photos of Nelsons and none of Bruckner. Wasn't this the story of Bruckner's life - being overshadowed by conductors with large egos (although I'm not sure this is true of Nelsons) who insisted on revisions to the symphonies? By contrast the booklet accompanying the excellent new Chandos recording of Lyatoshynsky's 3rd Symphony featured several photos of the composer Lyatoshynsky and one of the conductor Karabits. I think that this is far preferable as I always like to see photos of the composer as well as the conductor in CD booklets. This may well be of little or no significance to anyone else.

But, as my daughter frequently tells me, I'm turning into a grumpy old man. >:(
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Quote from: vandermolen on January 08, 2019, 11:48:57 AM
I enjoyed Nelsons's new recording of Symphony 3, which I think is the first characteristic Bruckner symphony (others may disagree). I think, however, that Szell remains my favourite. One thing irritated me. The booklet was full of photos of Nelsons and none of Bruckner. Wasn't this the story of Bruckner's life - being overshadowed by conductors with large egos (although I'm not sure this is true of Nelsons) who insisted on revisions to the symphonies? By contrast the booklet accompanying the excellent new Chandos recording of Lyatoshynsky's 3rd Symphony featured several photos of the composer Lyatoshynsky and one of the conductor Karabits. I think that this is far preferable as I always like to see photos of the composer as well as the conductor in CD booklet.

But, as my daughter frequently tells me I'm turning into a grumpy old man. >:(

It doesn't come close to my daughter giving my collection a critical look and telling me I'd better clear it up before I die, because they don't want to get stuck doing it  ??? ???.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on January 08, 2019, 11:53:23 AM
It doesn't come close to my daughter giving my collection a critical look and telling me I'd better clear it up before I die, because they don't want to get stuck doing it  ??? ???.

Oh, don't worry my friend, I get exactly the same from both my wife and daughter. No doubt as soon as I 'check out' the whole collection will end up in a skip.

On a lighter note, the naughty daughter of my equally obsessional Classical CD friend played a wicked trick on him. A large parcel of new CDs arrived at their house for him. Before he got to the packet she opened it and replaced all the new contents with CDs already in his collection. She then expertly sealed the parcel so that nobody would realise that it had already been opened and took great delight in watching his face as he opened the packet. How evil is that?  >:D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Wicked, wicked, indeed !!

Jo498

He should disinherit her!
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

vandermolen

Quote from: Jo498 on January 08, 2019, 12:45:34 PM
He should disinherit her!

Hehe or alternatively leave her his entire CD collection (27 copies of 'Parsifal' etc). That would be a good punishment.
8)

André

Quote from: vandermolen on January 08, 2019, 02:31:03 PM
Hehe or alternatively leave her his entire CD collection (27 copies of 'Parsifal' etc). That would be a good punishment.
8)

Cruel and unjust punishment !

(Runs for cover...)

vandermolen

Jo498

Quote from: vandermolen on January 08, 2019, 02:31:03 PM
8)

Yes, this would be better. The best would be to couple the monetary or real estate heritage she could expect with care of the treasured CD collection. She only gets the manor house if she keeps the CDs and listens to Parsifal at least once per week!
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

vandermolen

Quote from: Jo498 on January 08, 2019, 11:36:17 PM
Yes, this would be better. The best would be to couple the monetary or real estate heritage she could expect with care of the treasured CD collection. She only gets the manor house if she keeps the CDs and listens to Parsifal at least once per week!

Excellent! What a torment that would be.
8)

SurprisedByBeauty

"Can you put the #Bruckner #Symphonies on my iPod?" Here's my choice of 00, 0, 1-9 + 'completed 9th'

#iPod #BrucknerCycle. Rules: Every conductor only once. Theme: Slightly off the beaten path excellence.

00) #Skrowaczewski , #DRPOrchester, @oehmsclassics

0) #Schaller, #PhilharmonieFestiva, #HänsslerClassic

1) #Neumann, @Gewandhaus, @BerlinClassics

2) #Stein, @Vienna_Phil, @DeccaClassics

3) #Sanderling, @gewandhausorchester, #BerlinClassics

4) @ManfredHoneck, @Pittsburgh_Symphony, @ReferenceRecordings

5) #Celibidache, @Munich_Philharmonic, #Altus

6) #BernardHaitink, @StaatskapelleDresden, #HänsslerProfil

7) #KarlBöhm, @BRSOrchestra, #Audite

8) #KentNagano, O.d. @BayerischeStaatsoper, #Farao

9, unfinished) @christophvondohnanyi, @philharmonia_orchestra, @signumrecords

9, 4-mvts) #SimonRatle, @BerlinPhil, #EMI/@Warner_Classics

Cato

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on January 16, 2019, 07:31:51 AM

"Can you put the #Bruckner #Symphonies on my iPod?" Here's my choice of 00, 0, 1-9 + 'completed 9th'

#iPod #BrucknerCycle. Rules: Every conductor only once. Theme: Slightly off the beaten path excellence.

Do you mean "slightly off the beaten path of excellence" or "excellence that is slightly off the beaten path" ?   0:)

Either way, I believe I understand the choices.  :D

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Cato on January 16, 2019, 08:11:30 AM

Do you mean "slightly off the beaten path of excellence" or "excellence that is slightly off the beaten path" ?   0:)

Either way, I believe I understand the choices.  :D

I was aiming at the latter.  ;D

Although not consistently. Rattle's Ninth is the most beaten-path completion there is. But I don't find Bosch/Aachen or LeviTalmi/Oslo that much more convincing.

vandermolen

I guess my choices would be:

3: Szell
4: Klemperer
5: Haitink
6: Klemperer
7: Knappertsbusch
8: Horenstein
9: Furtwangler/Wand/Rattle

André

The only ones I don't have are the Honeck 4th and the Dohannyi 9th. I wouldn't choose many as top choices though  0:).

Daverz

Nice selection!  Though I haven't heard the Celibicache (I'll have to set a day aside ;) ), the Nagano, and that particular Bohm recording.  I have Bohm's studio recording and a live recording with the VPO on 6/9/76 (Andante).

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: André on January 16, 2019, 08:53:39 AM
The only ones I don't have are the Honeck 4th and the Dohannyi 9th. I wouldn't choose many as top choices though  0:).

I didn't quite mean for this to be a "Top Choices/One Conductor per" kind of list, I suppose...

...but that would be interesting, too.

I would have to hone in on what some *absolute* favorites are and then work it out from there.

00 ???
0 Skrowaczewski
1 Barenboim/BPh
2 Blomstedt/Leipzig (not sure)
3 Celi/MPhil [alt. ...???]
4 Honeck/Pittsburgh
5 ____ [alt. Celi/MPhil, Jochum/BRSO, Wand/Cologne]
6 Haitink/Dresden [alt Norrington/SWR, Celi/MPhil]
7 Böhm, BRSO [alt. Haitink/CSO, Karajan/WPh, Jochum/Dresden]
8 Wand/BPh, [Karajan/WPh, Wand/NDR,Lübeck]
9 XXX [alt. Barenboim/BPh, Wand/BPh]

(off to the theater now; more later)

Quote from: Daverz on January 16, 2019, 08:58:38 AM
Nice selection!  Though I haven't heard the Celibicache (I'll have to set a day aside ;) ), the Nagano, and that particular Bohm recording.  I have Bohm's studio recording and a live recording with the VPO on 6/9/76 (Andante).

reviewed it (B7) here, I seem to remember:
http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2008/05/b7-solti-haitink-bhm-co.html

Cato

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on January 16, 2019, 09:22:33 AM
I didn't quite mean for this to be a "Top Choices/One Conductor per" kind of list, I suppose...

...but that would be interesting, too.

I would have to hone in on what some *absolute* favorites are and then work it out from there.

1 Barenboim 1
3 Celi

Haitink 6 [alt Norrington, Celi]
Wand 8
[alt. Barenboim/BPh]

(off to the theater now; more later)

reviewed it (B7) here, I seem to remember:
http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2008/05/b7-solti-haitink-bhm-co.html

Would you include the String Quintet in its string orchestra version as a quasi-symphony?  :D

I am listening to it right now via YouTube.

I have not yet heard the complete orchestration by Gerd Schaller: any comments from those who have heard it?

[asin]B07FCS4XR9[/asin]