Sir Arnold Bax

Started by tjguitar, April 15, 2007, 06:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

Quote from: vandermolen on May 28, 2013, 12:22:10 AM
Hello Sean,

The Thomson VW cycle was not (unlike the Hickox on the same label) incomplete. Hickox very sadly died before recording symphonies 7 or 9 - although I saw him give a great performance of No 9 in London only a few weeks before his untimely death - I'm only sorry that it was not recorded. I think that Thomson is one of the few who gets VW Symphony No 6 right ('Top 1000 CD Guide' rated it their No 1 choice). He is also strong in No 4 and 9. Now Back to Bax!

I also bought No.6 but if remember agreeing with Ivan March that it sounded a bit like a rehearsal run-though, perhaps bringing too much Baxian rhapsody to more structured music. Best, S

cilgwyn

Of course,there are some people who may prefer Handley's cycle,of course. The critics certainly do! I just prefer Thomson's readings. As to the Naxos cycle,I bought a few out of curiosity because they're cheap,I like the couplings & cover art! ;D I quite like Lloyd Jones No 5,but I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it!

I would recommend the BBC Radio Classics cd of Bax & Bantock,conducted by Downes. A great cd. I love the coupling of Bax's Tintagel,Northern Ballads 2 & 3 and Bantock's Pagan Symphony. They go very well together,sharing the same 'legendary' atmosphere,although Bantock's 'Pagan' is slightly more 'perfumed',here & there! Also,you don't have to listen to 'Fifine at The Fair' which is 'queit neice' ;D but not really my cup of tea,and Beecham does it better anyway,even if the recordings in mono & cut. I really like Downe's Bax,and his Bantock Pagan is very satisfying. His handling of that bizarre percussion climax episode is strikingly different to Handley's interpretation,and I rather like what he does with it! :)

PS: If you enjoy that,the BBC Radio Classics cd of Downes conducting Boughton's second & third symphonies is fantastic. I particularly love his interpretation of Boughton's lovely 'Deirdre Symphony' (No2). The Second movement,in particular,is an absolute winner. It is hauntingly beautiful. I remember hearing the performance on the radio when I was quite a bit younger! ;D I find it baffling that such a lovely work remains unrecorded (except for this,sadly oop, cd broadcast release).
Oh well! :(

cilgwyn

Quote from: Sean on May 28, 2013, 01:58:32 AM
I also bought No.6 but if remember agreeing with Ivan March that it sounded a bit like a rehearsal run-though, perhaps bringing too much Baxian rhapsody to more structured music. Best, S
An interesting choice,mind,if you prefer VW in his  pastoral vein. I'm tempted to try it,now! ;D His Fourth is the one I play least. Could Thomson be the man to convert me?!! ;D
Regarding those Penguin Guide reviews. They're very useful,but I have to say,it might be me,but I find the tone of allot of them very 'snooty'. And quite frankly their reviews of the Daniel Jones symphonies were quite pathetic. I wonder if they really listened to them,properly,at all?

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 28, 2013, 06:00:29 AM
Of course,there are some people who may prefer Handley's cycle,of course. The critics certainly do! I just prefer Thomson's readings. As to the Naxos cycle,I bought a few out of curiosity because they're cheap,I like the couplings & cover art! ;D I quite like Lloyd Jones No 5,but I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it!

I would recommend the BBC Radio Classics cd of Bax & Bantock,conducted by Downes. A great cd. I love the coupling of Bax's Tintagel,Northern Ballads 2 & 3 and Bantock's Pagan Symphony. They go very well together,sharing the same 'legendary' atmosphere,although Bantock's 'Pagan' is slightly more 'perfumed',here & there! Also,you don't have to listen to 'Fifine at The Fair' which is 'queit neice' ;D but not really my cup of tea,and Beecham does it better anyway,even if the recordings in mono & cut. I really like Downe's Bax,and his Bantock Pagan is very satisfying. His handling of that bizarre percussion climax episode is strikingly different to Handley's interpretation,and I rather like what he does with it! :)

PS: If you enjoy that,the BBC Radio Classics cd of Downes conducting Boughton's second & third symphonies is fantastic. I particularly love his interpretation of Boughton's lovely 'Deirdre Symphony' (No2). The Second movement,in particular,is an absolute winner. It is hauntingly beautiful. I remember hearing the performance on the radio when I was quite a bit younger! ;D I find it baffling that such a lovely work remains unrecorded (except for this,sadly oop, cd broadcast release).
Oh well! :(

The best, most 'Legendary' recording of Bax's Symphony No 5 is Raymond Leppard's on Lyrita - my favourite version of my favourite Bax symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

My favourite Bax symphony too! :) Bax's Fourth is a bit of a runner up. Those seascapes! And Thomson of course!
No's 1 & 2 are also big return visitors to the cd turntable. Then 3 (especially the Barbirolli) & 6!
Least favourite No7. Although I need to give it another listen.
Love them all,mind!

Sean

The Handley and Golani recording of a major orchestral work the Viola phantasy is here on Youtube-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOqXvKapGuM

This is the first two movements, with the other one nearby. It looks like a counterpart to the violin and cello concertos so I'm very keen to investigate... I wonder if it's kept a lower profile because of the title, when the concertos are rhapsodic enough anyway...

kyjo

Word has it that Martin Yates is recording a recently-discovered, hour-long Symphony in F major/minor completed by Bax around 1907 for Dutton! It is not a reconstruction like Yates' realization of Moeran's Symphony no. 2, even though Yates had to add a couple notes here and there to the manuscript. I can barely contain my utter excitement! :D :)

Klaze

I like Bax a lot, but 1907? That's 15 years before his first symphony was composed according to wikipedia. That may be a bit too early to be really exciting for me. But still, interesting news!

kyjo

Quote from: Klaze on August 21, 2013, 12:47:13 PM
I like Bax a lot, but 1907? That's 15 years before his first symphony was composed according to wikipedia. That may be a bit too early to be really exciting for me. But still, interesting news!

Yes, it's not mature Bax, but this early symphony, while not free of other influences, already contains many Bax fingerprints, I'm told. :)

cilgwyn

If it was an early work by Cyril Scott or Bowen,say,I wouldn't be too interested. (Although,having said that,despite my misgivings about his orchestral music,I think Scott's piano  & instrumental music is actually very satisfying music) Bax and Holst I would make an exception for because of the quality and individuality of their music. Of course,ultimately,the proof will be in the 60 min pudding!! It sounds more interesting than the Cotswold Symphony,anyway!

Klaze

cilgwyn

;D Ouch! That observation really should have been followed by a smiley!  Just thinking about some of those puddings I used to eat at school!! ??? :(

kyjo

You guys are making me hungry! I love pudding! :D A 60-minute pudding sounds like fun to me! ;)

cilgwyn

Quote from: kyjo on August 21, 2013, 02:05:22 PM
You guys are making me hungry! I love pudding! :D A 60-minute pudding sounds like fun to me! ;)
I quite like pudding too. It just depends what kind of a pudding! My late mother's lemon meringues or,moving away from puddings;something along the lines of my grandmothers rock cakes. You needed a rock to break them (and a power drill!). Still,they were rock cakes!!

Actually,I prefer savory foods,really. A 60 minute liver and bacon with onion,gravy and mashed potato would be even better! Although,I doubt it would last that long. Or even a hot,homemade,60 minute veggie curry!
Anyway,I digress...............................

Sean

The Viola phantasy isn't among the most richly stocked Bax and there's a smaller orchestra but it I admire the subtle structuring in all his music.

I'm not posting much on the forum these days; adieu. Sean

mn dave

What's a good, say 10 disc, Bax starter kit?

Thanks.

Sean

Hi. Get the Bryden Thomson survey of the symphonies plus the Symphonic variations if you can; the Chandos double piano or four hands music is also great, and the Chandos Violin sons 1-2 with McCabe etc. But I think the symphs are the core thing. Best, Sean

kyjo

Quote from: Batty on October 04, 2013, 05:30:21 AM

Thanks.

Try to get the Thomson set of the symphonies if you can:

[asin]B000000ALZ[/asin]

If not, Lloyd-Jones' cycle on Naxos (which still hasn't been boxed up yet) is an excellent alternative. Both outclass Handley IMO. Also, this disc acts as a great introduction to Bax's soundworld:

[asin]B000027QWV[/asin]

Happy listening! :)

Brian

Quote from: kyjo on October 04, 2013, 08:47:50 AMLloyd-Jones' cycle on Naxos (which still hasn't been boxed up yet)

There is this

[asin]B000JLSTP8[/asin]

$75 gets you the complete or partial* symphony cycles of Arnold*, Alwyn*, Bantock*, Bax, Elgar, Rawsthorne, Vaughan Williams, Walton, plus fillers like all Bax's tone poems, Walton's viola concerto, and "Elgar's Third Symphony."

vandermolen

Quote from: Batty on October 04, 2013, 05:30:21 AM

Thanks.

Apart from the symphonies I would include this in your 10 CD collection. It contains the wonderful 'Christmas Eve in the Mountains', an unrivalled performance of the atmospheric tone poem 'Nympholept', the riotous 'Paen' and the 'Festival Overture' which is a much more interesting work than the title suggests. IMHO this is one of the great Bax discs and only a pity that they left out 'Tintagel' when it was reissued.
[asin]B0000DIXS1[/asin]

Actually, here is the original release (including Thomson's fine version of 'Tintagel'), so, I'd go for this one if you can find it. It is currently available for under £3.00 on UK Amazon and I would not hesitate to snap it up.
[asin]B000000ARU[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).