Mozart piano sonatas

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 05:16:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on June 30, 2023, 08:26:28 PM(The discussion of Mozart's sonatas on this thread really is an example of how each listener hears different things.)

Absolutely. I recently revisited the entire Bart van Oort set and enjoyed it immensely... 8)

Like you, I never got the attraction of Uchida's artificial Mozart. But I do enjoy Pires' Denon recordings.

Atriod

Quote from: Mandryka on June 30, 2023, 07:31:51 AMUchida's solo Mozart is completely lost on me, people are obviously hearing things which are just going over my head. I never come across anything which feels interestingly or beautifully shaped, or expressively powerful and intense. I'm totally open to the idea that she has other virtues which I'm not taking into account, - but if so, what are they? And I'm totally open to the idea that I've been deaf while listening - but if so, where are the bits I need to try to hear again with more open ears?

There might still be some masterclasses she did of Mozart on Youtube. I liked what she was saying and demonstrating in short sections. It's been forever since I've heard the recordings so no comment on them.

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Que on June 30, 2023, 10:39:21 PMAbsolutely. I recently revisited the entire Bart van Oort set and enjoyed it immensely... 8)

That is a big set and a large undertaking. I listened to some selections and enjoyed them greatly. Thanks for bringing them to my attention (months ago, I don't recall exactly when).
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on June 30, 2023, 07:31:51 AMUchida's solo Mozart is completely lost on me, people are obviously hearing things which are just going over my head. I never come across anything which feels interestingly or beautifully shaped, or expressively powerful and intense. I'm totally open to the idea that she has other virtues which I'm not taking into account, - but if so, what are they? And I'm totally open to the idea that I've been deaf while listening - but if so, where are the bits I need to try to hear again with more open ears?
There's an old video on YouTube of her conducting Mozart from the piano. She makes really funny faces and my kids love it. They're 3 and 5 years old. It puts them into hysterics.

Todd

Along with YES's cycle from earlier this year, this set cinches it: the center of gravity in Mozart piano sonata playing has shifted to the Asia-Pacific.  With William Youn out there as well, sort of hovering above the others, the Austrian wunderkind is now best heard played by people on the other side of the Eurasian landmass from the composer's home.  Apparently, Michael Endres, the greatest living European interpreter, agrees with this assessment as he now lives in New Zealand. 

Mr Fujita's set nearly or actually astonishes from first note to last.  Even more flexible than Youn, gentler than YES, and more playful than Endres, Fujita specializes in bringing a smile to the listener's face, inviting said listener to head-bob to the playing.  Embellishments are plenty and perfect.  Rubato is flawless.  Dynamic variations are precisely calibrated.  This is not big, hard-hitting Mozart.  It borders on the precious, remains small-scaled, almost salon-ish in style, but the realization forces the listener to ignore any complaints that may be leveled at that style.  I just sat and listened, eagerly hearing what Fujita might do next. 

I have no idea what Mr Fujita's performing or recording plans may be, but surely he should record some Schumann, some Ravel, some Scarlatti.  And that's to start. 

Just great stuff.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya