The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: greg on October 14, 2022, 06:42:42 PMmaybe it is just some evolutionary reason?

I'm not up on evolutionary psychology.  It could just be virtue signaling. 

Quote from: greg on October 14, 2022, 06:42:42 PMThe most troublesome thing, though, with the culture war, is how you could be unassociated with any political party and still be a target if you voice any opinion that "sounds bad-" and it could be coming at a completely different angle than what people are expecting, but they just don't get it because they aren't willing to actually bother to listen. If the tribe could interpret it also as "sounding bad," then you could just be a target for their desired social credit.

Again, virtue signaling.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Todd

greg

Quote from: Todd on October 14, 2022, 07:26:47 PM
I'm not up on evolutionary psychology.  It could just be virtue signaling. 

Again, virtue signaling.
I mean, yeah, but it's like, why do people even feel the need to virtue signal in the first place? I can't just stop there, I need to know why, I need to dig deeper until there is nothing left to dig.  :D

(since it probably is related to evolutionary psychology, then yeah, probably a bit out of your scope. Though if anyone reading knows about the subject, your input is welcome.)  ;)
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Todd

Quote from: greg on October 15, 2022, 07:49:12 PMI mean, yeah, but it's like, why do people even feel the need to virtue signal in the first place?

Practicing psychologists or psychiatrists would need to answer. 

Todd

Kanye West agrees to buy conservative social media platform Parler, company says

Musk still wants to buy Twitter.  Ye wants to buy Parler.  (Press outlets really ought to report facts; Ye is his legal name now.) 

Time said there was nothing to see earlier this year: Billionaires Have Always Owned the Media. Musk Is No Great Threat  (This reads strikingly like "We have always been at war with Eastasia.")

The Graun has reservations: 'Extra level of power': billionaires who have bought up the media

greg

G4 Is Being Shut Down Less Than a Year After It Launched

https://www.ign.com/articles/g4-is-being-shut-down-less-than-a-year-after-it-launched

Was excited when they made their comeback...
however, the main reason for their downfall was just that nowadays it's hard to compete against a million youtube gaming channels.

But the wokeness accelerated it- news about Adam Sessler's vile tweets against Republicans, and also the huge controversy with this new lesbian lady, Frosk, who told viewers that watch the show for the pretty girls (Morgan Webb, Olivia Munn) to just not bother watching it, which turned away a lot of viewers.

So back in my high school days (~16-17 years ago) I used to watch G4TV on comcast, loved it- X-Play is one my favorite shows ever, and one of my favorite characters ever is this guy, Johnny Extreme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU32eQlqouY

TO THE EXTREME!
(smashes beer bottle against crotch)  ;D

Quote from: Todd on October 17, 2022, 05:25:51 AM
Musk still wants to buy Twitter.  Ye wants to buy Parler.  (Press outlets really ought to report facts; Ye is his legal name now.) 
This, I'm interested to see how it plays out.

Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Todd

Todd

Americans' Trust In Media Remains Near Record Low

Quote from: Megan BrenanJust 7% of Americans have "a great deal" of trust and confidence in the media, and 27% have "a fair amount." Meanwhile, 28% of U.S. adults say they do not have very much confidence and 38% have none at all in newspapers, TV and radio. Notably, this is the first time that the percentage of Americans with no trust at all in the media is higher than the percentage with a great deal or a fair amount combined.

Todd

Colombian President Accuses US of "Ruining" World Economies

Sayeth El Presidente: "The United States is practically ruining all the economies of the world." 

He's a lefty economist with falling poll numbers in Latin America, so what else is he gonna say?  I mean, particularly for developing countries, he's not wrong, but oh well.  Will he give up Uncle Sugar's Sam's money and walk away from the NATO "partnership"?  I should think not, but maybe he will surprise the world.

Todd

Todd

Todd

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Barilla, marketed as 'Italy's No. 1 brand of pasta,' sued over their products being made in the USA.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/food/2022/10/19/barilla-lawsuit-pasta-not-made-italy/10544234002/

Todd

LKB

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

CNN opinion article by the U.S.A. President Joe Biden: In 14 days, the American people face a choice.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/25/opinions/american-people-face-a-choice-joe-biden/index.html

Todd

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on October 25, 2022, 02:12:07 PM
CNN opinion article by the U.S.A. President Joe Biden: In 14 days, the American people face a choice.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/25/opinions/american-people-face-a-choice-joe-biden/index.html

I wouldn't have thought a US President would need his staff written op-ed linked here. 

FiveThirtyEight shows Republicans are favored to take the House while the Senate is a toss-up, the same as several months ago.  If this occurs, then the Republicans will underperform in historical terms.  They should be favored to win both houses at this point. 

Todd

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on October 26, 2022, 04:53:44 AM
3 Florida men arrested in multimillion-dollar theft ring of stolen meat across Midwest, authorities say

They probably heard about UN Secretary General's recommending that people eat crickets and other insects instead of meat and thought (not completely unreasonable) than a recommendation might become an obligation when it comes to saving the planet, so they wanted to have a good stock of meat to survive on for a few months.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on October 26, 2022, 05:35:24 AM
They probably heard about UN Secretary General's recommending that people eat crickets and other insects instead of meat and thought (not completely unreasonable) than a recommendation might become an obligation when it comes to saving the planet, so they wanted to have a good stock of meat to survive on for a few months.  ;D

Huh?