Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Six

St. Louis PD doesn't deal with their officers killing children very well

Ken B

???

Here's one of those Airsoft toy guns

[asin]B004V95EE8[/asin]

That looks very damn realistic to me, absent the small orange button.

It should be noted though this shooting involved the Cleveland police, it had nothing to do with the St Louis police. The St Louis police did not, as TheSix writes, kill this 12 year old. In fact, while their tone in this is a bit annoyingly flippant, I think they are right to warn parents about letting their kids play with toys like this, especially with the dot missing.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Todd on December 04, 2014, 04:26:45 PM
Only Mr Bill can convey the seriousness of this news:

I thought that was supposed to happen 10 years from now.  :P

Either way, they have 4 times as many people and are just now producing more GDP? Keeping that in mind, it's not very impressive.

Karl Henning

Granted, if it's your lunch, the frog is not unimportant news . . .

QuoteNo solid explanation of how a frog got into these pre-packaged salads was found, but the companies were pretty apologetic about serving unwanted amphibians. That brings us back to Pret. Pret, unlike a big chain store like Target or a fast food emporium like McDonald's, prides itself on making its food fresh every day in house. "All of our salads are made fresh in each shop's kitchen throughout the day. All you need to do is add the dressing," reads Pret's website. The possibility that someone over looked a grown frog in a salad makes it a bit more disconcerting, and tarnishes some of Pret's claims. Pret's official and very active (they interact with customers, some of whom have the tiniest of gripes — far tinier than a frog) Twitter account in the US so far hasn't tweeted about the frog.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

knight66

Quote from: Greg on November 01, 2014, 08:11:31 AM
Lol!
Watch as an attractive man gets "harassed" multiple times within the 3 hours of walking through NYC.

#maleburqa

https://www.youtube.com/v/75aX9mlipiY

His body language is conveying that he is open to offers. Look at the way he is strolling just marginally too slowly. He looks like he is looking for action. The girl's body language was completely different.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

knight66

Quote from: Todd on December 05, 2014, 05:20:21 AM
The court wasn't monkeying around.

If they want rights, they will have to start to pay tax. Next thing, they will want the vote, which would very marginally pull down the overall average IQ of the voting population. So, phew, the court wisely dodged a bullet there.

It is frankly amazing that court time gets taken up with such nonsense.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: knight66 on December 05, 2014, 10:12:16 PM
His body language is conveying that he is open to offers. Look at the way he is strolling just marginally too slowly. He looks like he is looking for action. The girl's body language was completely different.

Mike
I don't think that is significant if you compare it to the pants the lady wore (it was noted that you don't wear them for comfort). What you wear and how you walk can both signify wanting attention, or can get you attention whether you like it or not. Taken to the extreme, a naked person running around in NYC is going to get tons of attention. Take that down to something really subtle such as the really tight pants the lady was wearing, and she's going to get attention from guys looking at her from behind (though considering what type of reaction the video was trying to provoke, it was probably an intentional choice). Not saying it's right to make sleazy comments at someone, but if you are an attractive female wearing super tight pants in a part of town full of black guys, it doesn't really matter what your body language is- they're going to notice anyways.

Ken B

Quote from: knight66 on December 05, 2014, 10:12:16 PM

Mike
Yes, her body language was different, as I observed. This is very important. Non verbal cues matter a lot. She was rather obviously ignoring people. The cues she, an attractive high status white, gave off to unemployed low status blacks, were dismissive ones.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Ken B on December 06, 2014, 08:21:06 AM
Yes, her body language was different, as I observed. This is very important. Non verbal cues matter a lot. She was rather obviously ignoring people. The cues she, an attractive high status white, gave off to unemployed low status blacks, were dismissive ones.
I'm not sure what your point is here; seems being dismissive would normally turn people away from wanting to talk to them? Or does it have the opposite effect?

Ken B

Quote from: Greg on December 06, 2014, 06:50:26 PM
I'm not sure what your point is here; seems being dismissive would normally turn people away from wanting to talk to them? Or does it have the opposite effect?
Mostly I am pointing out the simple straightforward view of the video a lot of people have is very dubious.
They didn't want to talk to her, they called out at her.  Not the same at all. That's why people see the behavior as offensive. I think much of it is reactive. I believe a perception of snooty superiority will provoke just such a reaction.

I have heard just such reactions from people, but since I'm a well brought up WASP Canadian as were most of my friends those reactions are not shouted in public, just expressed amongst friends as soon as the snoot leaves. That is a culturally determined reticence.

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

The Six

Walk down the wrong aisle at a stadium, have a taser pointed at you and get beaten by 3 cops
http://deadspin.com/santa-clara-police-attack-fan-at-pac-12-championship-ga-1667994556

ibanezmonster

https://www.youtube.com/v/u3PgH86OyEM

This video pretty much sums up why feminists are just sexist, because they will never complain about this type of double standard. If they were truly egalitarian, they would probably say something about this rather than complain about a guy's shirt.