What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Starting this well-researched and rather engaging survey of Gabriele d'Annunzio's relation to music and composers:

I recently finished author Rubens Tedeschi's scathing but very interesting survey of Italian opera at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th centuries (but skipped—for the time being—his essays on diverse works by Rossini, Bellini, Donizetti and Verdi that we're appended to the book in the reprint I own).

LKB

For probably the rest of the week, I'll be perusing the scores of Bach's Mass in b minor and the Brandenburg Concertos. Old friends, but it's been a few years since l went searching out any secrets that may have been eluding me.

Dover Miniatures ftw,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Christo

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 16, 2018, 11:21:14 AM
Finished:

The Wolff book was much better than I expected it to be, and is kind of misrepresented by the "shocking revelations!" advertising its had.
My findings too (though I read it superficially only, skipping some parts). It's a convincing chronicle of all the gossip that not only fills, but represents the present White House.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Jaakko Keskinen

Finnish literature for a change.

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

André

An excellent book. I read it in the French translation.

NikF

I donate a bunch of stuff to the charity shop but usually end up buying something too.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

I've never read any Dickens. So I'm going to read this.

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: NikF on March 16, 2018, 05:57:51 AM

I've read that once and recall liking it. Many of Dickens's endings have left me cold (although there are exceptions of course such as Our Mutual Friend) but this just might have the very best last sentences in a Dickens novel.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

NikF

Quote from: Alberich on March 16, 2018, 08:29:26 AM
I've read that once and recall liking it. Many of Dickens's endings have left me cold (although there are exceptions of course such as Our Mutual Friend) but this just might have the very best last sentences in a Dickens novel.

I'll look forward to that - and the rest of it, of course!

milk

The last year or so I've been trying to read sci-fi. Of the many books I've tried, I only ended up liking a handful. Many well-regarded sci-fi bored me to tears. Some exceptions are Hyperion and almost any book by Ursula Le Guin. Anyway, this vintage wacky sci-fi pulp is a surprisingly fun read.

Florestan

Quote from: NikF on March 16, 2018, 05:57:51 AM

Depending on taste, you're in either for a treat or for being bored to tears. Fwiw, it's my favorite Dickens novel.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mahlerian

Two sets of lectures given at Harvard by well-known composers.  I have to say that while some parts of Hindemith's idealistic vision of the composer's role in society resonate with me, his disparagement of the 12-tone method would laughable if it weren't the prototype of many of the same nonsensical criticisms that Bernstein brought out again in his own lecture series (and which continue to be parroted as gospel truth by people who have never listened to much 12-tone music anyway).

Sessions speaks from an equally erudite but less lofty viewpoint, and his discussion of his own creative process feels very familiar to me.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

NikF

Quote from: Florestan on March 18, 2018, 05:52:19 AM
Depending on taste, you're in either for a treat or for being bored to tears. Fwiw, it's my favorite Dickens novel.

So far, at this (very early) stage it's a treat.

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on March 18, 2018, 05:52:19 AM

I picture you Andrei, settled into a comfortable chair, knitting.

;)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ken B on March 18, 2018, 12:21:53 PM

;)

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on March 18, 2018, 12:21:53 PM

;)

Knitting while mentally writing the text of citizen Ken B's denouncement to the Public Salvation Committee.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on March 19, 2018, 04:00:48 AM
Knitting while mentally writing the text of citizen Ken B's denouncement to the Public Salvation Committee.  ;D

I was born denounced. ;)

TD Richard Stark, The Jugger
One of the Parker novels that Bogey and I like.

Spineur

Philip Kerr, Scottisch crime writer passed away at age 62

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/mar/24/philip-kerr-author-of-bernie-gunther-novels-dies-aged-62

I only read his Berlin trilogy, which I greatly enjoyed.  I will check what other books of his I should read.

SimonNZ

Finished:

Started:

which is quite a bit better than the "mere" popular history I was expecting, with considerable presentation and critical examination of the sources and overview of the historiography at every daily step in this compressed but well packed narrative covering mere weeks