What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

NikF

Henry and June by Anais Nin.

[asin]0141183284[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

aligreto

I bought this book on Monet some months ago but I am only getting around to it now....

Spineur

A couple of books on Myanmar

Donovan Webster "The burma road", the epic story of China-Burma-India theater during WWII

and Joseph Kessel "The valley of rubies"

I enjoyed both books

Also got Orwell
"The burmese days"
"A hanging"

But havent read them yet

Parsifal

Just finished The Book of Ebenezer La Page by Gerald Edwards, which was recommended by Brian. A slow burn of a novel, which is framed as the autobiography of a fictional character who was born on the island of Guernsey in the late 19th century and who lived through the two world wars and the postwar period in which the traditional culture of the island of Guernsey was swept away by modernism and tourism. A moving book.

Next up, The Wonder by Emma Donoghue.

NikF

I Served The King of England by Bohumil Hrabal.

[asin]0099540932[/asin]

Because I've a generally sweet disposition that's allied to the most innocent countenance, strangers are often inclined to speak to me. Some weeks ago I was sitting in a charming tearoom, quietly reading a paperback while leering at one of the waitresses out the corner of my eye. An older couple at a nearby table made a show of trying to see the cover of the book. I acknowledged them and displayed the title. This sparked a friendly chat that included the recommendation of this book.  :)

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

Sea Adventures by Henry de Monfreid.

Turbot nouveaux

Cat Stories
Ed. Diana Secker Tesdell

Entertaining. The last story in this collection, by Steven Milhauser, a dead-pan account of a Tom and Jerry episode with asides,  had me laughing aloud.

Spineur

Still on the topic of comparative religions

Artem

I recently finished Moscow-Petushki by Venedikt Yerofeyev and Shatuny by Yuri Mamleev. Both books are sort of underground Soviet classics and rather grotesque. Also finished Gargoyles that is one of the earlier Thomas Bernhard's books.

Crudblud

Plato's Symposium translated by Christopher Gill.

Crudblud

Honoré de Balzac  - Lost Illusions (translated by Herbert J. Hunt)

zamyrabyrd

Just finished "Death in the Afternoon" by Ernest Hemingway, surprisingly good and so says Orson Welles:

https://www.youtube.com/v/NyTi9v9QPxE
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

stingo

Proust's In Search of Lost Time

[asin]B006NKL8BQ[/asin]

NikF

Love in Excess by Eliza Haywood.

[asin]1551113678[/asin]

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: stingo on January 10, 2017, 02:49:32 PM
Proust's In Search of Lost Time

I still prefer a non-literal translation: "Remembrance of the Things Past"
What's "lost time" anyway? Not a very idiomatic expression.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

NikF

The Most Beautiful Woman in Town by Charles Bukowski.

[asin]0872861562[/asin]

I haven't read anything by Charles Bukowski before. I know nothing at all about his work and so I'm not sure what to  expect. But I thought I'd give it a try and bought this.

Mahlerian

So, my chronological listen through the works of Stravinsky has been guided by this biography:

Walsh doesn't shy away from the thorny issues of Stravinsky's revisionist accounts of various events and opinions, any more than he avoids discussing Stravinsky's dubious attitudes towards Jews or Mussolini.  He does give a more sympathetic picture of an undoubtedly difficult man who had many personal flaws, and certainly covers the fascinating genesis of works from Le Sacre up through Apollo and beyond.  I'll definitely be reading volume 2.

(Karl might or might not remember seeing me holding this book)
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot