What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Quote from: Ken B on October 15, 2018, 06:47:33 PM
As always folks, translations matter. Pick a modern translation.

In my experience these cheapie Kindle collections are the same translations as thise listed on PG . So why pay 99 cents for what you can get for free?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: JBS on October 15, 2018, 06:52:50 PM
In my experience these cheapie Kindle collections are the same translations as thise listed on PG . So why pay 99 cents for what you can get for free?

For the princely sum of $0.99 the publisher makes the ebook available in my Kindle library for transparent download on on my Kindle and in the Kindle Apps in all of my iOS, MacOS and Windows devices. It is a price I am willing to pay to be freed of the chore of managing a file downloaded from PG.

Quote from: André on October 15, 2018, 01:15:07 PM
Looks like a fantastic deal, Baron. You can pick and choose from the various stories (norman, parisian, others) by Maupassant. Hope you enjoy them !

One drawback of this edition is that the stories are not grouped in the categories you mention. Wikipedia is no help. Also, no mention or credit to translators. Oh well.

I know I read Bel Ami at some point, don't remember it. What's the first story I should read?

André

I don't know the english titles, but it must be easy to get it through a wiki article on Maupassant. Try these:

Boule de suif
La maison de Mme Tellier (the maison is of course a brothel)
La petite Roque
Miss Harriet
Le rosier de Mme Husson (Britten used it for his comic opera Albert Herring)
Toine
Le Horla (a fantastic/horror story)
Le Père Amable

Etc, etc.

Among the novels, try Une vie.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: André on October 16, 2018, 06:44:44 AM
I don't know the english titles, but it must be easy to get it through a wiki article on Maupassant. Try these:

Boule de suif
La maison de Mme Tellier (the maison is of course a brothel)
La petite Roque
Miss Harriet
Le rosier de Mme Husson (Britten used it for his comic opera Albert Herring)
Toine
Le Horla (a fantastic/horror story)
Le Père Amable

Etc, etc.

Among the novels, try Une vie.

Thanks for the suggestions!

bwv 1080

Apparently Ron Howard is currently at work on a movie adaptation that will be released next year. 

Ken B

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on October 15, 2018, 08:45:25 PM
For the princely sum of $0.99 the publisher makes the ebook available in my Kindle library for transparent download on on my Kindle and in the Kindle Apps in all of my iOS, MacOS and Windows devices. It is a price I am willing to pay to be freed of the chore of managing a file downloaded from PG.

One drawback of this edition is that the stories are not grouped in the categories you mention. Wikipedia is no help. Also, no mention or credit to translators. Oh well.

I know I read Bel Ami at some point, don't remember it. What's the first story I should read?
Boule de suif  was his first published story, and a good one. Aka Ball of Fat. I like the peasant stories the best but The Necklace is 5he most frequently anthologized and good.

But any best of anthology.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

QuoteThe Volkswagen brand name, logo or shield does not feature anywhere in the film [The Love Bug (1968)], as the automaker did not permit Disney to use the name. The only logos can be briefly seen in at least two places, however. The first instance is on the brake pedals during the first scene where Herbie takes control with Jim inside (on the freeway when Herbie runs into Thorndyke's Rolls Royce), and it is shown in all the future scenes when Jim is braking. The second instance is on the ignition key, when Jim tries to shut down the braking Herbie. The later sequels produced, however, do promote the Volkswagen name (as sales of the Beetle were down when the sequels were produced).
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SimonNZ

Finished:

and wanting something a little lighter next have moved on to Jack Reacher #7:

NikF

A reread, although this time I've got a chess board out.  ;D And anyone familiar with this work knows what I mean by that. Hahaha
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

ritter

Good evening, NikF! I should read Perec sometime. Any comments?

THREAD DUTY:

Approaching Pierre Drieu la Rochelle's work for the first time, with Le feu follet (Will O' the Wisp, also translated as The Fire Within):

[asin]2070118851[/asin]

SimonNZ

Quote from: NikF on October 26, 2018, 02:04:34 PM

A reread, although this time I've got a chess board out.  ;D And anyone familiar with this work knows what I mean by that. Hahaha

^Many times I've considered collecting/reading all the volumes in that numbered Harvill series.

I read that book of Perec's using only words without the letter E in them - "A Void" in English - decades ago, but can no longer remember anything else about it. Does Life: A Users Manual have references to chess in it?

NikF

Quote from: ritter on October 26, 2018, 02:09:35 PM
Good evening, NikF! I should read Perec sometime. Any comments?

Hello ritter.

Here's the thing; your frame of reference is far, far broader than my own. Still, I believe that in reply to your question what I can impart has value because it's honest and true. Maybe the whole 'Oulipo' school is familiar to you. To me, it doesnt mean shit. And I fully accept that's a fault on my part. But on my second reading of this work it makes more sense. And I think it's great. I really liked it.
Having said that, I can completely understand the viewpoint of those who might consider if contrived and perhaps even tailored to meet some kind of ideal or be noted for making a statement, meeting the criteria in order to further an ideal.
If you do get around to reading this work, do post your thoughts.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

ritter

Quote from: NikF on October 26, 2018, 02:35:01 PM
Hello ritter.

Here's the thing; your frame of reference is far, far broader than my own. Still, I believe that in reply to your question what I can impart has value because it's honest and true. Maybe the whole 'Oulipo' school is familiar to you. To me, it doesnt mean shit. And I fully accept that's a fault on my part. But on my second reading of this work it makes more sense. And I think it's great. I really liked it.
Having said that, I can completely understand the viewpoint of those who might consider if contrived and perhaps even tailored to meet some kind of ideal or be noted for making a statement, meeting the criteria in order to further an ideal.
If you do get around to reading this work, do post your thoughts.
Thanks for that. I must really read Perec's book sometime soon....

NikF

Quote from: SimonNZ link=topic=68.msg1180355#msg1180355 date=Does Life: A Users Manual have references to chess in it?

Hey bro.  :)
Yeah, in the broadest terms it's possible to clearly see Perec has employed a reference to chess via the 'Knight's tour' - that's an integral part of the book I refer to, although I admit not picking up on that aspect until after the fact.

NikF

Quote from: ritter on October 26, 2018, 03:09:24 PM
Thanks for that. I must really read Perec's book sometime soon....

You're welcome.
And if/when you do read it, post your thoughts. That would be cool.

Jaakko Keskinen

Started reading one of the most esteemed German Romantics in literature, Ludwig Tieck.

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

steve ridgway

I'm enjoying this at the moment, quite informative but as with the TV series, Prof Cox is excellent at stimulating a sense of awe and wonder in the reader 8).

[asin]0007386907[/asin]

SimonNZ

^I admire the sense of optimism he conveys.

TD:

Ken B

The Brethren
Robert Merle
Translation from the French.

This is a historical novel set in the late 16th century in France, about a family of Huguenots. Florestan would like it.