What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikF

Quote from: Bogey on July 07, 2016, 07:18:34 PM
How's it so far?  I may have to track down a copy.

That was my second time around with the book and I found it held up well, both as an expose of human frailty and also simply as a period piece that's rife with the expected snappy dialogue of the characters and time.
And if you do read it and enjoy it, I'd recommend the same author's earlier 'What Makes Sammy Run?'-  another depiction of the pursuit of fame and fortune at personal cost, this time set in Hollywood.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Bogey

Quote from: NikF on July 08, 2016, 01:36:38 AM
That was my second time around with the book and I found it held up well, both as an expose of human frailty and also simply as a period piece that's rife with the expected snappy dialogue of the characters and time.
And if you do read it and enjoy it, I'd recommend the same author's earlier 'What Makes Sammy Run?'-  another depiction of the pursuit of fame and fortune at personal cost, this time set in Hollywood.

It may sound odd, but I am trying to track down the "Corgi" printing like the one you have.  The artwork on that cover is fantastic.  May take a bit to find one here in the U.S.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

NikF

Quote from: Bogey on July 08, 2016, 04:30:01 AM
It may sound odd, but I am trying to track down the "Corgi" printing like the one you have.  The artwork on that cover is fantastic.  May take a bit to find one here in the U.S.

No, I understand about the artwork. I find it cool and often part of the whole experience when reading that stuff.

abebooks.co.uk has a poor condition copy offered by a UK seller here http://goo.gl/EtcxQ8 and they appear to ship to the US. I only looked at the first page of search results and so there could be more.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Bogey

Quote from: NikF on July 08, 2016, 05:12:21 AM
No, I understand about the artwork. I find it cool and often part of the whole experience when reading that stuff.

abebooks.co.uk has a poor condition copy offered by a UK seller here http://goo.gl/EtcxQ8 and they appear to ship to the US. I only looked at the first page of search results and so there could be more.

Thanks!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Ken B

Quote from: Bogey on July 04, 2016, 05:26:30 AM
Thoughts so far, Ken?  I appreciate the artwork on the covers to try and put the reader instantly in the era of the story.  Nice to see that this genre is being explored by young authors in mass at this time.  Let me know if you hit any newer authors that are exceptional in your opinion.

First book was fine, if unexceptional. Taking a break and will report back if I continue.

André

From Henning Mankell I have moved to Arnaldur Indridason. and from the latter to Jo Nesbø. From Ystad, Sweden, to Reykjavik, Iceland, to Oslo, Norway. Crime knows no bounds in dark, shady northern countries. It's both a thrill and a huge culture shock to discover the back scenes, alleyways and inner life of scandinavian cities.

Bogey

Quote from: Ken B on July 11, 2016, 02:15:15 PM
First book was fine, if unexceptional. Taking a break and will report back if I continue.

Thanks.  TD

My second book from W.R. Burnett.

AndyD.

Finished up the Deadpool, hilarious fun!

Now, an interesting read so far.

http://andydigelsomina.blogspot.com/

My rockin' Metal wife:

NikF

aligreto

Quote from: NikF on July 16, 2016, 04:23:06 AM

I avidly read Hemingway in my youth but have not done so in later years. I wonder why? I still remember the initial impact that his writing had on me all those years ago. Enjoy  :)

Ken B

Quote from: aligreto on July 16, 2016, 04:47:01 AM
I avidly read Hemingway in my youth but have not done so in later years. I wonder why? I still remember the initial impact that his writing had on me all those years ago. Enjoy  :)

Exactly my experience.

NikF

Quote from: aligreto on July 16, 2016, 04:47:01 AM

I usually only take this collection off the shelf in order to read 'A Clean, Well-Lighted Place' - a bare bones story which I find gains solidity with each year that passes - but then find myself settling down with the book in hand for the longer term.
I'm sure I'll enjoy reading them. Thanks, man.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: NikF on July 16, 2016, 05:33:40 AM
I usually only take this collection off the shelf in order to read 'A Clean, Well-Lighted Place' - a bare bones story which I find gains solidity with each year that passes - but then find myself settling down with the book in hand for the longer term.
I'm sure I'll enjoy reading them. Thanks, man.

He was at his best a wonderful writer, and when I was teaching literature many years ago I always used several of his stories in my Short Fiction class. Some of my favorites included "The Killers," "The Snows of Kilimanjaro," "Hills Like White Elephants," and "A Day's Wait," with its great ending line: "He cried very easily at little things that were of no importance."

"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

AndyD.

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on July 16, 2016, 05:42:05 AM
He was at his best a wonderful writer, and when I was teaching literature many years ago I always used several of his stories in my Short Fiction class. Some of my favorites included "The Killers," "The Snows of Kilimanjaro," "Hills Like White Elephants," and "A Day's Wait," with its great ending line: "He cried very easily at little things that were of no importance."

He was one of the greatest...I have trouble arguing with people when they mention him as the greatest American writer (same with Dickinson, Poe, Faulkner...or, more fun: Vonnegut). You listed some amazing fiction there, my friend.

I'm going to have to take out my short stories now, love Hemingway. Thanks for the remind.

My rockin' Metal wife:

Florestan

For Whom the Bell Tolls is one of the greatest, non-partisan novels ever written.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

AndyD.

Quote from: Florestan on July 16, 2016, 12:16:08 PM
For Whom the Bell Tolls is one of the greatest, non-partisan novels ever written.

I love it. Reading the stories now.

My rockin' Metal wife:

Bogey

My second round with Craig Rice (Georgiana Ann Randolph Craig) and her lawyer sleuth John Joseph Malone. 

NikF

I've still a few stories remaining in this and so I'll finish them tonight -

Then this -

AndyD.

I'm mostly grounded in Hegelian Phenomenology, Nietzschean Existentialism, Schoepenhauer/Wagnerian pessimism, and to a lesser degree Husserl. So this was often an interesting change.

My rockin' Metal wife:

kishnevi