What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlaurson

Quote from: SonicMan on February 28, 2009, 02:54:25 PM
Jens - sorry about that experience; I could have ordered 'something' (would not have been happy), so I said to the waitress that "my wife finds nothing on your menu of interest, sorry" -

I had no wife to blame it on (or encourage reason) with me tonight, unfortunately. Just an empty stomach and an even emptier fridge at home.
Your mountain lunch sounds delicious. I love rare yellow fin.

jlaurson

Poppy-Seed Omelette (5 eggs)
with minced Leeks,
finely chopped Zucchini,
and diced Red Peppers.

For extra fluffiness, I add a bit of milk and flower to the eggs.

Benji

Quote from: jlaurson on March 03, 2009, 05:38:37 AM
Poppy-Seed Omelette (5 eggs)
with minced Leeks,
finely chopped Zucchini,
and diced Red Peppers.

For extra fluffiness, I add a bit of milk and flower to the eggs.

Interesting! Do the poppy seeds make a lot of difference? (loving the omlette pacman!)

I also like to add milk to my omlettes, and a fair bit of real butter. And cayenne!

Benji

Does anyone have a good tried and tested tagine recipe?

jlaurson

Quote from: RepliCat on March 03, 2009, 09:36:02 AM
Interesting! Do the poppy seeds make a lot of difference? (loving the omlette pacman!)

I also like to add milk to my omlettes, and a fair bit of real butter. And cayenne!

Cayenne... yes. I dig that.
Poppy seeds... well, you can tell, visually and texture-wise. And I reckon they do _something_. Like they do on Kaiser Rolls. But it's not a strong over all. I just happen to love poppy for some reason.

Jay F

Harry

A couple of self made Pizza's with pepper salami, and 5 different cheeses.

Benji

Quote from: Harry on March 09, 2009, 09:42:09 AM
A couple of self made Pizza's with pepper salami, and 5 different cheeses.

Everybody, listen: cheese stocks! Buy, buy, buy!

karlhenning

Quote from: RepliCat on March 10, 2009, 04:38:32 AM
Everybody, listen: cheese stocks! Buy, buy, buy!

Mercy!  :)

Thread duty:

Bran bagel, cream cheese and chives.  Organic green tea (bought a box o' Bigelow, can't be bad, right?)

mahler10th

Lightly fried rump, a squeeze of lemon.
:o

jlaurson

Quote from: John on March 10, 2009, 05:50:00 AM
Lightly fried rump, a squeeze of lemon.
:o

Yumm... That reminds me... I'm going to Scotland in April. Hungry already.

Renfield

Quote from: jlaurson on March 10, 2009, 11:09:03 AM
Yumm... That reminds me... I'm going to Scotland in April. Hungry already.

Oh? Might we in the capital be honoured with your presence - or are you going trekking in the Highlands? ;D

jlaurson

Quote from: Renfield on March 10, 2009, 02:29:29 PM
Oh? Might we in the capital be honoured with your presence - or are you going trekking in the Highlands? ;D

Well, I'll be in Glasgow for two short days and a few long ones on the isle of Mull. No Edinb. for me, I'm afraid.

Bulldog

Jay F

SonicMan46

Well, last few nights, Susan has been cooking up some light 'seafood' dishes for us - trying to save the calories (although my wine drinking doesn't help -  ;)):

Last night, some Scallops grilled in an oil/sherry sauce w/ nice flavorings & herbs + an 'inventive' vegetable side of fresh green beans w/ cherry tomatoes, garlic, and herbs - quite tasty and indeed low caloric!

Tonight, Talapia grilled w/ a little olive oil/wine mixture w/ added herbs & fresh basil + sautéed spinach w/ oil, garlic, and fresh mushrooms - another light & delicious dish!

We have a great 'seafood store' locally, and am impressed over the years that the owner just obtains the best stuff in town!  Of course, both meals included some nice white wine -  :D 

toledobass

One of these:

SonicMan46

Quote from: toledobass on March 14, 2009, 12:54:28 PM
One of these:  RE:  Pizza

Allan - lookin' good!  :D   Beer and/or a hearty red wine w/ that dish? 

Well tonight, Susan picked up some Osso Buco (braised veal shank - description below from their website) from 'Whole Foods' locally - package came w/ two shanks pre-cooked (w/ ingredients described below), so just needed to re-heat them; as side dishes, she served Orzo pasta which we topped w/ a little of the veal sauce & some fresh grated Parmesan cheese + peas.

Boy, I usually don't like these pre-fab dishes (and rarely have them), but this veal was just superb!  The meat was 'fork' tender, fell off the bone, and was wonderfully flavored (as good as I've had in a restaurant); the orzo was a perfect side along w/ the peas.  Of course, one of the 'highlights' of this meat dish is picking out the bone marrow w/ a little 'lobster' fork - I gave Susan my bone shank (guess not my thing!) - her face glowed!

The company is Cuisine Solutions - the veal was our first experience, but our next purchase will be the New Zealand Lamb Shanks; and then, maybe a try of the 'seafood products' - and the calories/fats/etc. were quite respectable - of course, a light red wine for the evening (decanted an '05 Oregon Pinot Noir) -  :)

Haffner

I made my not-yet-famous Three Cheese Italian Baked Chicken.

Parmeseano, Ricotta, Mozzarella, with milk, bread crumbs, garlic, oregano, rosemary, and crushed red pepper. Really delicious, especially with a side of plain spaghetti sauce with chopped mushrooms and onions.

bwv 1080

Took advantage of the recession to get some lobsters at $12.99 / LB from the local grocery store

Tomorrow going to try once again to cook some thick pork chops medium, rather than well done (last time failed).   Going to inject them & top them off with mole