Author Topic: Paganini's Planet  (Read 1256 times)

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
Paganini's Planet
« on: October 11, 2010, 11:36:04 AM »
Niccolo Paganini.  A genius of his generation (at least as a performer), and yet I could find no thread dedicated to him. After hearing part of his first violin concerto I am interested in hearing more. So I thought this would be the place to come. So what do you recommend?

Maybe this?

Or this?

Or maybe this on Brilliant?

And I'd be interested to hear more about him having originally transposed his music up when he performed it? Is that true?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline Josquin des Prez

• Veteran member
  • Lyric Suite, Opus131
Re: Paganini's Planet
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 03:09:55 PM »
This tread didn't go as well as expected, did it. I'm curious about this myself. I like the caprices very much. I wouldn't necessarily consider them the work of a genius, but they are catchy, technically interesting even to a non violinist, and pretty much flawless within the limits of the music itself.

Every now and then i look out to see what else this composer has produced, but i'm always left cold by most of the compositions i come across, whether its a chamber piece or a concerto. I'm now starting to suspect the caprices are some sort of one hit wonder. Surely, if he had written anything else of that quality, it would be just as widely known, right?

Offline mszczuj

• Veteran member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 09:22:40 AM »
So what do you recommend?

I think this is worth to spend some time with it.

After hearing it I thought that Paganini had owed his reputation to his instrument not to his technique.

There are two more records of concertos on "Il Cannone" and very good record of caprices played by Quarta on Stradivari.

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 10:00:16 AM »
Niccolo Paganini.  A genius of his generation (at least as a performer), and yet I could find no thread dedicated to him. After hearing part of his first violin concerto I am interested in hearing more. So I thought this would be the place to come. So what do you recommend?

Maybe this?

I decided to get this one on DG. Performances are outstanding. I cannot speak to the others I originally posted. Accardo has everything - technique, a good feel for the style, and Dutoit and co. stay with him. I liked the concertos and other violin/orchestra pieces, which take up more than half of the time. I find the first two concertos to be the most interesting (after the caprices). If those don't thrill, then I would just put him to the side. This is the one I originally started with and enjoyed:

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 10:09:22 AM »
I have the Accardo disc with 1&2 and enjoy those concerti very much. The first one especially is like a Rossini opera with a single egoistic character: the soloist. ;D
Regards,
Navneeth