Author Topic: The Slovakian composer's thread.  (Read 1890 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
The Slovakian composer's thread.
« on: February 18, 2016, 05:59:51 AM »
Now, don't all reply at once  :P
This is really just an excuse to alert you to the new release of orchestral music by Eugen Suchon (1908-1993) on Chandos and I couldn't see a Slovakian composer thread (which doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't one!) I really liked the new Suchon CD and played it through three times in a row. It is late-Romantic tonal fare but immensely enjoyable; a bit like Novak meets Ravel and there is a strong, though integrated folk influence:

A much deeper work is Symphony 7 by Alexander Moyzes, in memory of his daughter who died young. I find this an incredibly moving work which seems to mirror the grief process from despair, rage, anger to a hard won acceptance, even triumph at the end. Not as great, perhaps as Suk's 'Asrael Symphony' but a powerful and moving score:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline springrite

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Lots of Bach, Brian, Mahler, Rubbra, Beethoven and Buddhist chants
Re: The Slovakian composer's thread.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 10:31:10 AM »
I am a bit reluctant to reply here since I am not really sure which Czech (or Ex-Czech) is really Slovakian.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Offline springrite

• Veteran member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 10:32:33 AM »
BTW, after Martina Navratilova got her US citizenship, she bought a new car with the licence plate reading "EXCZECH"

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 11:40:03 AM »
I am a bit reluctant to reply here since I am not really sure which Czech (or Ex-Czech) is really Slovakian.
At least you replied Paul  :)
Thank you - I'm not exactly confident in the nationality issue either but I really like both works. Do you know the Moyzes?
OT hope you are making progress.  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Scion7

• Veteran member
  • A vajda az én dolgom, és az üzlet jó.
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 02:56:35 PM »
Suchoň, Eugen
(b Pezinok, Slovakia, 25 Sept 1908; d Bratislava, 5 Aug 1993). Slovak composer.

Moyzes, Alexander
(b Kláštor pod Znievom, nr Martin, 4 Sept 1906; d Bratislava, 20 Nov 1984). Slovak composer and teacher.
The Germans, who make doctrines out of everything, deal with music learnedly; the Italians, being voluptuous, seek in it lively, though fleeting, sensations; the French, more vain than perceptive, manage to speak of it wittily; and the English pay for it . . . - Stendhal

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 03:10:26 PM »
Now, don't all reply at once  :P

Many thanks for the notice about these composers!

YouTube offers this for Eugen Suchon:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TT5FGqiRLKQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TT5FGqiRLKQ</a>

And for Alexander Moyzes:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/U_kmvNJZWE8&amp;list=PLlNCBWE8s3N7SU4hNoQumZvRne74mdTVS" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/U_kmvNJZWE8&amp;list=PLlNCBWE8s3N7SU4hNoQumZvRne74mdTVS</a>
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Offline springrite

• Veteran member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 10:57:14 PM »
At least you replied Paul  :)
Thank you - I'm not exactly confident in the nationality issue either but I really like both works. Do you know the Moyzes?
OT hope you are making progress.  :)

Yes I have and I enjoy the Moyzes.

Slovakia should try to claim Mahler.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 11:19:19 PM »
Many thanks Leo and Paul. Let us know what you think of the Suchon if you get round to hearing it.