Author Topic: Antonio Rosetti (1750-1792)  (Read 1854 times)

snyprrr

Antonio Rosetti (1750-1792)
« on: October 14, 2009, 09:41:44 PM »
I can vouch that his SQs Op.6 1-6 (CPO) are some of the most attractive ClassicalEra SQs I've heard by anyone. Review in HIP*SQs Thread.

Very highly recommended.

Offline Scion7

• Veteran member
  • "A vér az élet."
Re: Antonio Rosetti (1750-1792)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 01:01:00 AM »
Rosetti’s early works are written in a pleasing style that emphasizes diatonic melodies cast in a regular and repetitive phrase structure, supported by a predictable harmonic vocabulary. His music of the early 1780s demonstrates the first signs of a stylistic maturity that is brought to full bloom in the works composed after about 1784. These are characterized by a greater reliance on chromatic inflection in melodic lines, a richer harmonic and tonal language, skilful handling of counterpoint and imaginative and colourful orchestration. Throughout Rosetti’s output, two distinctive features distinguish his style: an economical treatment of materials, which often results in tight musical structures held together by discernible motivic relationships, and a sure and imaginative employment of wind instruments.  -- New Grove

Chamber music
=====================================

5 string trios
12 string quartets
bassoon quartet
13 various keyboard trios
11 keyboard sonatas

Orchestral works
=====================================

44 symphonies (!)
6 violin concertos
4 keyboard concertos
viola concerto
12 flute concertos
7 oboe concertos
5 bassoon concertos
4 clarinet concertos
5 symphony concertantes
12 horn concertos
some 40 various serenades, dances, partitas . . .

One of his pieces is on this very good album:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 01:39:05 AM by Scion7 »
Your barricades lie broken ... your enemies lord.

Offline Scion7

• Veteran member
  • "A vér az élet."
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 12:38:44 PM »
I've never studied any detailed work on Rosetti (only one 's', Mr. Administrator) so I don't know the numbering schema applied by whatever musicologist(s) to his works.
The Sinfonia in e-flat major and the g minor are the best of the four, IMHO.
And you know the Concerto Koln is a mark of quality.

Your barricades lie broken ... your enemies lord.

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 04:14:01 PM »
BOY!  This thread was 'under my radar' although apparently not of much interest to others:

Antonio Rosetti (1750 - 1792) - short lived Bohemian composer (last name changed to sound Italian) - first paragraph of his Wiki Article - prolific composer of wonderful classical period works (check the link for a list) - I own about a dozen of his discs (some of the ones shown below are double-discs).  Doubt that this thread will get much interest which is undeserved, but will like to see others contribute - Dave :)

P.S. I need to listen to some of this music again - has been a while!

Francesco Antonio Rosetti (c. 1750 – June 30, 1792, born Franz Anton Rösler, changed to Italianate form by 1773) was a classical era composer and double bass player, and was a contemporary of Haydn and Mozart. The occasional disambiguation with a supposed, but non-existent, "Antonio Rosetti born 1744 in Milan", is due to an error by Ernst Ludwig Gerber in a later edition of his Tonkünstler-Lexikon having mistaken Rosetti for an Italian in the first edition of his own Lexikon, and therefore including Rosetti twice - once as an Italian, once as a German-Czech.

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 07:10:04 AM »

Dip Your Ears, No. 121 (Blowing Rosetti's Horn )
http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2012/07/dip-your-ears-no-121-blowing-rosettis.html

Hi Jens - excellent review, as usual - thanks for the link - my CPO Horn disc is shown below and there is no overlap of works vs. the Arte Nova release - Rosetti in his short life wrote a LOT of instrumental & vocal music - below a summary from his Wiki Article; just over 500 compositions w/ 17 Horn Concertos & 7 Two Horn Concertos - will take a look & listen to my 'small' collection today and see what else Amazon has to offer - will likely put the Arte Nova disc on my wish list.  Dave :)

Chamber Music D1-D52
Concertos C1-C76  17 Horns; 7 2 Horns
Piano E1-E68
Symphonies A1-A51
Wind Ensembles B1-B29    506 Total

Choral Works G1-G12
Liturgical Works H1-H41
Vocal Works F1-F109

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 08:33:09 AM »
Well, I missed a CPO box of 4 discs of Rosetti works in my collection (added below for those who may want some 'windy' music from Antonio!) - the set is going for about $26 new on the Amazon USA MP HERE, for those who might be interested.  Dave :)

snyprrr

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 07:28:42 AM »
I can vouch that his SQs Op.6 1-6 (CPO) are some of the most attractive ClassicalEra SQs I've heard by anyone. Review in HIP*SQs Thread.

Very highly recommended.

Yes, I do remember these... will have to dig the box out from 2009, lol...

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 07:35:49 AM »
My only Rosetti disc is this:

I haven't listened to it for years, but I remember enjoying these symphonies.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!