Poll

Revised poll: Please let me know how good your access is to GMG since we moved to the new servers on April 4.

Good access (>90% connectivity)
49 (74.2%)
Intermittent access (50-90% connectivity)
9 (13.6%)
Poor access (10-50% connectivity)
2 (3%)
Almost inaccessible (<10% connectivity)
6 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Author Topic: All members please read and respond: Are you having trouble accessing the forum?  (Read 1786 times)

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
I am re-posting the poll as the previous poll had too many variables (wifi vs cell) etc

Please let me know how good your access is to GMG - please vote on this poll, even if you voted on the previous one (now deleted)

You can explain in the posts - whether or not it is cell/wifi/browser/OS dependent.

Rob
 Macs are better. They just are.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Rural area and wifi dependent but I don't usually have trouble connecting to GMG Forum.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
Intermitent access on the whole.

I use three different wifi ISPs. With one of them I have good access (only one "Server not found" message in almost a week) with the other two intermitent access. (frequent "Server not found" messages; the interval between two succesful connections is usually less than a quarter of an hour, but occasionally it can be longer than one hour).
Wie? Es wäre nicht erlaubt und möglich, in Tönen zu denken und in Worten und Gedanken zu musizieren? - Ludwig Tieck

Nu mă-ncântați nici cu clasici,
Nici cu stil curat și antic ­—
Toate-mi sunt de o potrivă,
Eu rămân ce-am fost: romantic. - Mihai Eminescu

Offline Biffo

>90% connectivity - Wifi only - PC/Google Chrome and tablet/android. Never access via cellphone.

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
I had good access after I started logging in to the site from other locations. This seemed to help a lot, so much so that I now have good access at home too.

The other trick that seems to work is to go to www.good-music-guide.com and then choose the forum. This seems to work almost every time. When it doesn't I just close the browser and start again and usually it works. 
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
Poor access until yesterday when I performed a manual mapping of the IP address, i.e. I am not relying on DNS to work out the site's address for itself. This seems to have fixed it for the last 24 hours or so.

Access had been deteriorating before that, started off being able to access at least once each day, down to failing all attempts for several days.

Problems were worse on broadband (Windows 7 PC) than on phone.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 03:29:15 AM by Madiel »
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
I've had no problems. Mac computer using Firefox from home, Android phone on chrome using 4G sometimes when I'm out. The only thing is that Tapatalk doesn't show any content at all.

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
Good access on my home computer, only now after re-setting DNS and flushing DNS cache (Win 7 with latest version of Opera)
Poor (virtually no) access on the phone (DNS re-set by hard re-boot did only help for an hour) (Opera browser, haven't tried Chrome yet, will do right away)
Poor (virtually no) access on my work computer (where I cannot twitch with settings and stuff, possibly I can clear the cache but that's about it)

Can thus not vote really, as at home the problem seems to be solved now, but elsewhere, where I don't have any admin rights or technical means, it persists as badly as it has been since the relaunch.

I don't mind having no access on the phone but the work computer would be nice as I spend many hours there and it's okay to browse privately for a few minutes once in a while.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
No problems at all during the last weeks (PC, broadband, MS Edge). I never use cellphone.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Apart from Tapatalk, excellent access.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Online George

• Veteran member
  • Our DJ's Better Than All These Bands
Cell phone and work computer both poor since the change.

Home computer and wifi on phone, good since change.

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline André

• Veteran member
100% access from my ipad (only device I use). No issues whatsoever now that ‘slow post’ has been fixed.

Offline Traverso

Everything fine after altering the DNS server.

Offline Draško

Still about 7 out of 10 times get server can't be found, both on wifi and on mobile. It is getting a bit better lately, I think it'll sort itself out in time. If it really persists I'll change my wifi DNS setting.

Online Baron Scarpia

• Veteran member
  • If it sounds good it is good.
I chose intermittent based on recent cell phone access, where I've had problems only for the last four or five days. Wifi access has been flawless using the two Wifi networks I normally connect to.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 06:45:33 AM by Baron Scarpia »

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
I've never not been able to access the site. However, it often takes several tries to get past the "server not found" page before it connects.
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
I've never not been able to access the site. However, it often takes several tries to get past the "server not found" page before it connects.

But... during those times you get the "server not found" message you are precisely not able to access the site;D
Wie? Es wäre nicht erlaubt und möglich, in Tönen zu denken und in Worten und Gedanken zu musizieren? - Ludwig Tieck

Nu mă-ncântați nici cu clasici,
Nici cu stil curat și antic ­—
Toate-mi sunt de o potrivă,
Eu rămân ce-am fost: romantic. - Mihai Eminescu

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
But... during those times you get the "server not found" message you are precisely not able to access the site;D

True, but it's just a few seconds not being able to. I can be patient for a few seconds  ;) Still, it's annoying.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
A few glitches posting but overall good. The site is faster than before.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Roasted Swan

at least 50% of logins say "server not accessible".  When or why log-ins are successful seems to follow no pattern