Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 698458 times)

Offline NikF4

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #9200 on: February 14, 2019, 10:58:00 AM »
Read it in an abridged Romanian translation. A delight form start to finish.

Is it the whole thing? I mean, the original French edition has 10 volumes.  :)

No, this version is abridged too. But hopefully I'll enjoy it.
You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • The Child is father of the Man
« Reply #9201 on: February 14, 2019, 11:02:54 AM »

You're in for a threat. He was a man after your own's heart...  :D
“Happy is the man who finds a true friend, and far happier is he who finds that true friend in his wife."  --- Schubert

Offline NikF4

« Reply #9202 on: February 14, 2019, 11:10:52 AM »
You're in for a threat. He was a man after your own's heart...  :D

Ah, my reputation precedes me. Oh well, too late to worry about that.  ;D
You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Offline Draško

« Reply #9203 on: February 14, 2019, 03:01:44 PM »

I think abridged/highlights version is the way to go.

Some time ago I picked up one random volume of the full version (4th one, out of 5 iirc) and it was a bit of a slog to get through, gets quite repetitive: he travels to somewhere, and great man that he is they greet him with open arms, he seduces woman or two, then he gets into trouble (usually business or gambling related) through no fault of his own (he's never at any fault), some evil men on account of that trouble want to kill/imprison/rob him, and he has to run ... and then he arrives in another place and rinse & repeat. Maybe that is down to that particular volume and the earlier ones are more varied, but I anyway decided against reading the whole thing and to maybe go for abridged version in some indefinite future. Also his extremely high opinion of himself gets somewhat tiresome across that many pages.

Offline NikF4

« Reply #9204 on: February 15, 2019, 09:38:04 AM »
I think abridged/highlights version is the way to go.

Some time ago I picked up one random volume of the full version (4th one, out of 5 iirc) and it was a bit of a slog to get through, gets quite repetitive: he travels to somewhere, and great man that he is they greet him with open arms, he seduces woman or two, then he gets into trouble (usually business or gambling related) through no fault of his own (he's never at any fault), some evil men on account of that trouble want to kill/imprison/rob him, and he has to run ... and then he arrives in another place and rinse & repeat. Maybe that is down to that particular volume and the earlier ones are more varied, but I anyway decided against reading the whole thing and to maybe go for abridged version in some indefinite future. Also his extremely high opinion of himself gets somewhat tiresome across that many pages.

I'll continue on with the read tonight (friday night spent at home reading a book  :o ) and see how I get on with it.

Online SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #9205 on: February 15, 2019, 11:40:10 PM »
Started:

Offline lisa needs braces

• Veteran member
« Reply #9206 on: Today at 01:04:04 AM »
Actually, it's you who should fuck off. You poison just about every thread you post in with your obsessive anti-Israel rants and constantly and viciously attack and provoke another member of this forum. The number of your posts related to classical music amounts to zero. You are obviously a troll who deserves at least a temporary ban.

I am anti-Israel as I would have been anti-Nazi.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • The Child is father of the Man
« Reply #9207 on: Today at 11:45:46 AM »
I am anti-Israel as I would have been anti-Nazi.

Israel is not perfect --- there's no such thing as a perfect country, anyway --- but comparing it with Nazi Germany is either insane or trollish. Don't bother to reply, I'm done with you right now for ever.
“Happy is the man who finds a true friend, and far happier is he who finds that true friend in his wife."  --- Schubert