What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?

Started by Bonehelm, May 24, 2007, 08:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XB-70 Valkyrie

Quote from: Holden on December 26, 2015, 11:54:45 AM
I just bought something similar in the Fiio Q1 for about $US80. I've attached this to my Sansa View, iPhone 6S and iPad Air with similar results to what Todd has described. It doesn't replace my Fiio E7/E9 combination on my home PC which sounds amazing.

The one issue with upgrading sound cards in PCs is that the sound still has to go through part of the MS Windows sound system with the inevitable degradation in SQ. Much better to use a DAC/amp and bypass it all entirely. It makes a huge difference.

I am new to the headphone amp game, but I have been greatly enjoying my Fiio X1, which has no problem driving my Sennheiser HD 25 SP phones. I am interested in a headphone amp to use with my laptop (w/headphones), and also to drive a small stereo system for my office comprising the Fiio and a pair of powered speakers. Any suggestions for the headphone amp that will work well for all three applications (Fiio/headphone, Fiio/powered speakers, and laptop/headphone)? For a PC/Laptop, is it preferable to connect via 3.5 mm plug or USB? I want something portable (no tubes!!!) and affordable. I am favorably inclined toward Fiio products. Thanks.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Fëanor

Quote from: Holden on December 26, 2015, 11:54:45 AM...

The one issue with upgrading sound cards in PCs is that the sound still has to go through part of the MS Windows sound system with the inevitable degradation in SQ. Much better to use a DAC/amp and bypass it all entirely. It makes a huge difference.

Quite correct.  Most computer music player programs allow you to by-pass the Windows normal audio "stack" (series of programs) by one means or another.  The most common means are:

• 'WASAPI', (see HERE);  this is a Windows facility, or
  • 'ASIO', (see HERE); this is an independent standard.
Computer music players such as Foobar2000 or JRiver support WASAPI themselves, directly or with a readily available plug-ins.  ASIO, on the other hand, usually is particular to your sound card or out-board DAC which very often will provide a Windows driver for their ASIO implementation.

Spineur

Last years, I bought this small pair of monitors for my office.  I did not want any more clutter (amplifiers etc) in my office which is not very large.  They are designed for near-field, perfect for a small room.  I am quite satisfied except for piano music, where my main sound system is superior.  I do not know why - perhaps the near field design ?  Strings and brass on the other hand sound great.

As for the source, I have an external DAC which I share with my main system,  but I found that my computer DAC (a hires chip) gives nice result with the following pieces of software
Infinity blade (a player developped by a japanese guy in his garage).  The best sounding player, with the worst UI.  http://oryaaaaa.world.coocan.jp/bughead/.  It needs ASIO4ALL or JPLAY to bypass windows (see previous post).  I also use Fidelizer, for the handling of memory and processes.

Jay F

QuoteThe one issue with upgrading sound cards in PCs is that the sound still has to go through part of the MS Windows sound system with the inevitable degradation in SQ. Much better to use a DAC/amp and bypass it all entirely. It makes a huge difference.

I have this powered wireless speaker from Bowers & Wilkins, the Z2:

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Wireless-Speakers/Wireless-Speakers/Z2

I liked the sound when it was transmitted via wi-fi router from iTunes for Windows from my LR to my BR, but sonic stuttering was frequent and annoying. So I recently purchased a laptop for my Z2, which I connect to the speaker using a male/male 3.5 headphone jack from the headphone output to the aux input on the back of the Z2. There's no more stuttering, but I don't think the music sounds as good as it did when it was streamed to the speaker. Is this my imagination? In both cases, the computers are from Dell and use Windows 7. Is there a DAC solution that would improve the sound?

TIA.

jlaurson

Quote from: Jay F on February 14, 2016, 08:34:31 AM
I have this powered wireless speaker from Bowers & Wilkins, the Z2:

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Wireless-Speakers/Wireless-Speakers/Z2

I liked the sound when it was transmitted via wi-fi router from iTunes for Windows from my LR to my BR, but sonic stuttering was frequent and annoying. So I recently purchased a laptop for my Z2, which I connect to the speaker using a male/male 3.5 headphone jack from the headphone output to the aux input on the back of the Z2. There's no more stuttering, but I don't think the music sounds as good as it did when it was streamed to the speaker. Is this my imagination? In both cases, the computers are from Dell and use Windows 7. Is there a DAC solution that would improve the sound?

TIA.

Yes. ANY DAC solution will improve the sound. Just bypass the sound-card and plug a DAC -- any DAC -- into your USB slot, connecting it to the speakers directly, and you've taken out the largest source of distortion... the driver of your computer. (It's set up to make speech and some music sound vaguely impressive coming from horrible speakers... ("Realtek Audio Manager" is the main culprit in ThinkPads, for example; though the windows-own way of treating sound isn't much better.)

I happen to have a very simple Firestone Audio cute series dac  (and also a very, very excellent DAC in my CD player that I can use separately... but that's only marginal improvement over the initial great improvement), but I don't think recommending anything in particular is what serves you best. Just a big ol' YES to a decent DAC to feed your speakers with is the answer.

P.S. A few pointers on what I think is important in a DAC

1.) USB-in. Essential for your purposes.
2.) Digital RCA (75Ω) in. Convenient if not necessary... i.e. if you have another unit around that you might want to run through the DAC.
3.) Consider if you might also listen to headphones on a regular basis in that position. Then a combined DAC/Headphone Amp, of which there are a good number, would be worth a thought.
4.) Mobility would be less of a concern... from what you say it would need only be as mobile as your speakers and you have electricity outlets in the vicinity, it sounds like.

Holden

At work I have the Nuforce uDac2 connected to my laptop.

At home I have the Fiio E7/E9 which would probably be overkill for your system.

I also have the very good but inexpensive Fiio Q1 which will also bypass your computers own sound setup. The beauty of the Q1 is it's portability and ability to be powered solely by USB. The Nuforce is also USB powered and has an even smaller footprint than the Q1. There are many other options out there.
Cheers

Holden

The new erato

I bought me a used, but recently renovated (brand new disc drive) DCS p8i CD/SACD olayer with digital inputs:

Todd

Quote from: The new erato on April 14, 2016, 08:48:18 AM
I bought me a used, but recently renovated (brand new disc drive) DCS p8i CD/SACD olayer with digital inputs:

Hope you got it at a good price since dCS ain't exactly bargain basement.  The best digital I've heard so far was a three box set up many moons ago that cost more than my current car.  I'm hoping my new digital goodie I got just today can compete with my memories of the dCS I heard.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

The new erato

Quote from: Todd on April 14, 2016, 01:36:26 PM

Hope you got it at a good price since dCS ain't exactly bargain basement.  The best digital I've heard so far was a three box set up many moons ago that cost more than my current car.  I'm hoping my new digital goodie I got just today can compete with my memories of the dCS I heard.
New price in 2006 was USD 13.000......I got it for 1500  0:). A trade in for a customer that upgraded to a larger DCS rig, from a dealer that were moving house and needed to clear house, with new drive and totally pristine. Built lik a tank and plays like an angel. Joins my Wadia 302 CD and Sony XA5400 ES SACD players.

One of the things that prompted the purchase except for the superb price, was that the DCS had a set of digital inputs and outputs so that its DAC can be used standalone with PCs and other drives.

jlaurson

Quote from: The new erato on April 14, 2016, 08:43:22 PM
New price in 2006 was USD 13.000......I got it for 1500  0:). A trade in for a customer that upgraded to a larger DCS rig, from a dealer that were moving house and needed to clear house, with new drive and totally pristine. Built lik a tank and plays like an angel. Joins my Wadia 302 CD and Sony XA5400 ES SACD players.

One of the things that prompted the purchase except for the superb price, was that the DCS had a set of digital inputs and outputs so that its DAC can be used standalone with PCs and other drives.

That is nice. And quite ahead of its time, really, given that this baby is a few years old by now... It was one of the main factors I chose the CD/SACD player I ended up with... except that switching inputs on it, from drive to USB takes a few seconds and so long as I have my spitfire mini DAC sitting right next to it, already attached to the amp, I'm often too lazy to bother.  :(

EDIT Additional question:

Has anyone any experience with portable DACs? I need one for my computer, which makes a mess of a sound without one.

Under consideration would be:

Dragonfly (I'm not drawn toward it, but if it really is the bee's knees...)
Denon DA-10
FiiO Q1 (mention has been made of this above) or other FiiO alternatives
Teac HA-P50SE / Onkyo DAC-HA200
or anything that's comparable.

Thanks!

Todd

Quote from: The new erato on April 14, 2016, 08:43:22 PMNew price in 2006 was USD 13.000......I got it for 1500

Now that is a nice price, particularly with a new drive. 

Holden

Quote from: jlaurson on April 15, 2016, 02:00:53 AM
That is nice. And quite ahead of its time, really, given that this baby is a few years old by now... It was one of the main factors I chose the CD/SACD player I ended up with... except that switching inputs on it, from drive to USB takes a few seconds and so long as I have my spitfire mini DAC sitting right next to it, already attached to the amp, I'm often too lazy to bother.  :(

EDIT Additional question:

Has anyone any experience with portable DACs? I need one for my computer, which makes a mess of a sound without one.

Under consideration would be:

Dragonfly (I'm not drawn toward it, but if it really is the bee's knees...)
Denon DA-10
FiiO Q1 (mention has been made of this above) or other FiiO alternatives
Teac HA-P50SE / Onkyo DAC-HA200
or anything that's comparable.

Thanks!

If it's for a standalone PC I'd definitely go Fiio but not the Q1. The flagship Fiio E18 is highly rated as a portable or standalone DAC/amp.

I have the Fiio E9/E7 combination and for the price if is exceptional. Both products were updated to E9K and E17K and used together until the E9K was superseded by the K5. The E9k can still be found on sites like Amazon. It is an amazing amp for the price.

If you want portability then the E17k is still available. This is also the point where I'd bring in the Q1. I've got it and am very happy with the sound and its portability but it doesn't match my E7/E9 combo attached to my PC.
Cheers

Holden

jlaurson

Quote from: Holden on April 15, 2016, 02:01:28 PM
If it's for a standalone PC I'd definitely go Fiio but not the Q1. The flagship Fiio E18 is highly rated as a portable or standalone DAC/amp.

I have the Fiio E9/E7 combination and for the price if is exceptional. Both products were updated to E9K and E17K and used together until the E9K was superseded by the K5. The E9k can still be found on sites like Amazon. It is an amazing amp for the price.

If you want portability then the E17k is still available. This is also the point where I'd bring in the Q1. I've got it and am very happy with the sound and its portability but it doesn't match my E7/E9 combo attached to my PC.

Thanks much for this. Portability is key, as I don't need it at home but when I travel with my computer. At home I have a very nice DAC setup already.

Holden

Quote from: jlaurson on April 16, 2016, 07:17:55 AM
Thanks much for this. Portability is key, as I don't need it at home but when I travel with my computer. At home I have a very nice DAC setup already.

Then the Q1 will serve you very well. This is what I use it for. If you do get it then make sure you also get an OTG cable with a micro USB at one end so you can listen to direct digital straight from your laptop/device.
Cheers

Holden

jlaurson

Quote from: Holden on April 16, 2016, 02:22:09 PM
Then the Q1 will serve you very well. This is what I use it for. If you do get it then make sure you also get an OTG cable with a micro USB at one end so you can listen to direct digital straight from your laptop/device.

OK... I may well go for it, lest I have the opportunity to compare to this and, say, the TEAC. (Which is high on my list, based on reviews such.)
But what about the OTG USB cable? USB-micro-B--> female USB-A?
I would have assumed that it has a USB cable that comes with it... from whatever USB-connection it features (most DACs seem to like USB-Tybe B -- although a portable device might well feature Micro-USB Type B) to my computer's USB... where I need a male USB Type A connector. A quick Amazon search for OTG USB cables shows that they all end in female USB-Type A... which makes me wonder where I'd plug that in.

My DAC at home accesses direct digital just by being plugged into the USB port of my computer with a regular ol' cable, bypassing the sound card of my computer (which really is the whole point, because that's what makes the music sound so crappy).

Holden

That's interesting. Why terminate a cable in USB female mode? Are they assuming that you will plug it into the cable, terminating in USB male, that comes out of your DAP? This was also the situation when I bought the lightning CCK for my iPhone/iPad. I just connected it to the short charging cable that came with my iPhone.

I wonder if a straight cable that is not OTG would do the job?
Cheers

Holden

jlaurson

Quote from: Holden on April 17, 2016, 11:49:32 AM
I wonder if a straight cable that is not OTG would do the job?

It does when I connect my computer to the non-mobile DAC.

Kontrapunctus

I've made a number of changes to my system since my last post, so here it is for the moment!  ;)

DALI Epicon 2 speakers
SVS SB13 Ultra sub
PrimaLuna Premium Dialogue HP tube integrated amp
Esoteric K-03 SACD player
Oppo 105 Blu-ray player
VPI Scout 1.1 turntable/Ortofon 2M Black cartridge
Musical Surroundings Nova II phono stage
Audeze LCD-XC headphones
Nordost, Audio Analysis interconnects; Kimber Kable speaker cables

Todd

When I picked up a new DAC, I also picked up the Audioengine B1 Bluetooth receiver.  While it has its own (supposedly good) DAC, I bought it because I wanted a handy way to stream from my tablet, so as to expand the radio stations at my disposal by hundreds or thousands and to stream from Amazon and YouTube and what have you.  Set up literally could not be easier (plug it in, fire up a Bluetooth device, press connect) and sound quality is limited to the source material.  YouTube is usually surprisingly good, Amazon is a bit more variable though good enough for most non-classical and even some classical, radio stations online are variable with some good ones and some not so good ones, and other sources will be sampled I'm sure.  The clincher for me was the optical out, which I use to connect to my main system.  A nifty little device.

Brian

HELP

I'm starting long-term planning on big money purchases and finishing up my home, and with this laptop computer on the verge of an early death, it's time to prepare to get some kind of audio system.

I know nothing about audio systems. For the sake of responding to the rest of these questions, please assume I am a blithering idiot. I think I've seen DAC enough to know what it stands for (digital audio converter?), but...that gives you an idea of what you're dealing with.

Here are all sound-related things I currently have:
- a Samsung TV
- a Sony Blu-Ray/DVD/CD player for the TV, hooked up via HDMI
- a dying laptop with a CD drive
- sweet headphones (Audio-Technica M50)
- external HD

Here's what I aspire to be doing with music:
- playing CDs, SACDs, Blu-Rays on some kind of sound system
- beaming lossless downloads to the sound system (most of my MusicWeb reviews are FLAC copies now)
- still using the headphones when, say, lazing under the covers reading a book and listening to Schubert on a Saturday morning

My apartment is 600 sq. ft., so my "living room" is a small space open to the kitchen on one side and with a sliding door to the patio on another side. Which leaves only two proper walls. Space is very limited. There's a chance I'll get to move somewhere a bit nicer in September.

If it helps, I'm planning on replacing this creaky laptop with a "replace your computer" tablet like the Surface Pro. But really no new laptop computers these days have CD drives, so I figure some sort of dedicated sound system is now necessary regardless.

So what are the things that I need? Again, assume idiocy. Speakers. One of those things that sends stuff to the speakers. I really dunno. What bells and whistles are in the "cool add-on if you want to do this and that thing" category, vs. absolute essentials? What additional questions should I answer here?

One of the few things, besides speakers, I think is definitely on my shopping list is a USB DAC for tablet+headphones setup. Yea/nay?

Help?