Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 23, 2011, 04:16:59 AM

Alas, no... Whether it'll be a Brian Christmas, I don't know.  Frustrating.  >:(

Mail from the UK comes very slowly for some reason. Presto sent an order by airmail to me on the 19th. It arrived today. Five days from England to Germany! I think what the Royal Mail means when they specify airmail is....carrier pigeon  ;D

Anyway, I hope your order arrived today. I was sweating it actually--the CD is a Christmas present for my brother-in-law and we see him this evening.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

J.Z. Herrenberg

Well, it hasn't come, more's the pity. Tonight I'll be watching 'The Return of the King' with my daughter and savouring instead the more Brianesque passages of the music as I watch.

Btw, I have been in contact with Doug Adams, who has written a study about Howard Shore's Ring score, to ask him whether Shore knows Brian's music, as some of his scoring sounds Brianic. It appears that is not the case...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 24, 2011, 03:56:36 AM
Well, it hasn't come, more's the pity. Tonight I'll be watching 'The Return of the King' with my daughter and savouring instead the more Brianesque passages of the music as I watch.

Btw, I have been in contact with Doug Adams, who has written a study about Howard Shore's Ring score, to ask him whether Shore knows Brian's music, as some of his scoring sounds Brianic. It appears that is not the case...

Sorry to hear that, Johan :( Inexcusable really in this day and age ::)

Still, something to look forward to very soon after Christmas, I am sure :)

cilgwyn

Rumour has it that Charles Grove's performance of Part 1 of the Gothic Symphony is available as a download (or will be shortly) at a certain rival Classical music forum?! :o
I have heard that the performance was taped!

Other than that,I am amazed to find that the Havergal Brian thread has slipped to 'Page 2'. I hope he's not joining Roy Harris & Henry Cowell,amongst the least visited threads!
Although,I somehow doubt it! ;D

Karl Henning

Quote from: cilgwyn on December 27, 2011, 05:53:58 AM
Rumour has it that Charles Grove's performance of Part 1 of the Gothic Symphony is available as a download (or will be shortly) at a certain rival Classical music forum?! :o

Bah! GMG suffers no serious rival : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Hattoff

Quote from: cilgwyn on December 27, 2011, 05:53:58 AM

Yes, I've downloaded it but the sound quality is much too poor for it to be be useful. It's a great shame but a good effort fron the poster.

Perhaps John (,you) could do something with it? he's /(you're) rather good with sound quality improvements 8) :D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Hattoff on December 27, 2011, 08:28:40 AM
Yes, I've downloaded it but the sound quality is much too poor for it to be be useful. It's a great shame but a good effort fron the poster.

Perhaps John (,you) could do something with it? he's /(you're) rather good with sound quality improvements 8) :D

Yes, the sound is nothing to write home about. But if you know the piece, or have a score, you can add what you don't hear... What does come through very clearly, though, are Groves' tempi, which are on the slow (even sluggish) side. All in all, this upload is important.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

John Whitmore

Quote from: Hattoff on December 27, 2011, 08:28:40 AM

Where do I get this from? I'll have a listen.

J.Z. Herrenberg

It's on the Unsung Composers forum http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php, in the thread British Music Broadcasts Catalogue and Archive. Download is for members only... Joining is free.

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 27, 2011, 08:57:28 AM
It's on the Unsung Composers forum http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php, in the thread British Music Broadcasts Catalogue and Archive. Download is for members only... Joining is free.
Sonically poor. Some parts just disappear. I'm doing knob twiddling to change some of the sound levels here and there. It will be improved but don't expect miracles. I'll post links probably tomorrow.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Well, if you can make the hiss disappear even slightly...  :)

Albion

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 27, 2011, 08:57:28 AM

Quote from: John Whitmore on December 27, 2011, 11:25:30 AMIt will be improved but don't expect miracles. I'll post links probably tomorrow.

I would respectfully draw your attention to the first notice on the page in question: files are provided on the forum through a combination of generosity and enterprise, and with some sensible disclaimers. Whether or not the downloading member then chooses to 'improve' or otherwise manipulate that file is entirely their own, private concern, but putting donated files casually on open-access is perhaps something to be avoided.

:)

John is clearly very skilled at working on audio files and several members would clearly like to hear the result of his labours - perhaps this could be effected privately between the members concerned.

;)
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

cilgwyn

I could see that post coming!!! ;D Don't want to get involved in this,particularly,but maybe an 'improved' copy could be supplied to Albion & made available to members on the appropriate forum itself,with the original contributor's permission,of course? John is a dab hand at this sort of thing,by all accounts.
Only a suggestion,mind! As a non member,it's really none of my business. Anyway,I like it too much here! ;D

On another 'note',I see that the Hyperion release of the 'Gothic' is up for review in the January 2011 issue of International Record Review. A nice,long,intelligent,in depth review,that's what we want! Not the Andrew Clements sort!

cilgwyn

A four page review should do! :)

Albion

Quote from: cilgwyn on December 27, 2011, 03:07:49 PMI could see that post coming!!! ;D

Please see amended post above.

:)

Providing off-air recordings is an activity which is patently of enormous importance but is still something of a 'grey' area in terms of legal 'ownership' - to enable it to continue requires the willingness of members in whichever forum to observe and respect a certain protocol.

;D

A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

John Whitmore

I've finished messing with the 1st movement. It's still basic but the backward brass entries (3 times) have been beefed up, the beginning was very weak so I've changed that a wee bit and generally messed around with the audio balance to try to get some of the hiss removed with moderate success. Before embarking on the other 2 movements please contact me by email for the link and let me know whether or not you think there has been any significant improvement. If not I will pack it in. If you think it's worth pursuing I will have a go at the other 2 files.

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 27, 2011, 11:28:32 AM
Well, if you can make the hiss disappear even slightly...  :)
It's Brian's early unpublished version with snakes playing a very prominent part throughout. Ruins it in my opinion.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: John Whitmore on December 28, 2011, 02:09:29 AM
It's Brian's early unpublished version with snakes playing a very prominent part throughout. Ruins it in my opinion.

That's what you get when you want an orchestra complete in every department.

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 28, 2011, 02:13:24 AM

That's what you get when you want an orchestra complete in every department.
The serpent is a ridiculous looking thing. Just like a clarinet that has been roughly handled by the Royal Mail with a brass mouthpiece instead of a reed. I wonder why you never come across it very often nowadays?