Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Don't worry, Colin. I did check a few of your catalogues the other day - thorough stuff, as was to be expected. And as you say, HB is well-served by the Society website. Having everything in one place (UC) is handy, though.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

springrite

But I still think Brianites should hand Colin some form of punishment just for the sake of it. Let's say suspend him for ... uh... 6 hours, starting from his bedtime tonight!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

cilgwyn

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on March 22, 2012, 02:52:01 PM
Erm... no. No. 6 is very clear-cut, there are three clearly-marked spans. No. 17, come to think of it, has four inter-connected parts, and this _does_ connect it with its predecessor. Slow intro, allegro, curtailed slow movement, a rondo-like segment as a sort of scherzo and a finale with violent coda... (I should listen to it!)
I really Have got to read up about this,haven't I? AND sit by  the cd player! The way these symphonies inter connect is one of the things that is SO fascinating about them,though.
I've been listening to No 20,through to 22,for the last two or three hours. I know No 21 pretty well from the old LSSO LP,but No 20 is,imho,the toughnest nut to crack so far! And you describe some of the later ones as 'aggressive'! :o :(

cilgwyn

And I wondered where Dundonnell had gone?
Thankfully,quite capable of logging in here,normally,like everyone else! :o :(
Okay,off to bed! :)

Lethevich

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 22, 2012, 02:02:38 PM
Regarding 6 & 16 again. I have heard some people (not you) say that they liked the Sinfonia tragica,but weren't so keen on it's companion. As far as I can recall,even though I had more difficulties with the later symphonies, I played No 16 & enjoyed it every bit as much as No 16.

In my case (as somebody who agrees with this mentioned sentiment), it's because of the rare extended lyrical central episode of No.6 which doesn't show up often in Brian's symphonies. It also has a conclusion atmospheric enough to be "relatable" when approaching the work from a Romantic angle, which is not the case for most of the rest of Brian's music which is largely self-referencing.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

calyptorhynchus

Just a query, I bought the refurbished LSSO HB 22 + English Suite 5 from http://klassichaus.us, but I understood people here to be saying that they had also done the S21 + S10 disk as well. Can't find this on the website.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

John Whitmore

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on March 22, 2012, 06:47:57 PM
Just a query, I bought the refurbished LSSO HB 22 + English Suite 5 from http://klassichaus.us, but I understood people here to be saying that they had also done the S21 + S10 disk as well. Can't find this on the website.
Here it is
http://www.klassichaus.us/Havergal-Brian.php

J.Z. Herrenberg

@Lethevich Correct. No. 6 has a very melodic profile, more so than any other Brian symphony I can think of. If he had written more of them, he could have been more popular, perhaps. Typically, Brian never repeats himself. No. 7 may share some of its traits, it is very different.

@Cilgwyn You'll find in time that No. 20 is a very accessible and appealing piece. Most of the gruffness is in the opening movement, but there, too, there are wonderful lyrical passages. The Concerto for Orchestra is very similar to No. 20. It, too, starts out very forbiddingly, but becomes very touching and joyful.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

calyptorhynchus

'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

John Whitmore

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on March 23, 2012, 02:57:13 PM
Thanks, how could I have missed that!
To be fair the site isn't as user friendly as it could be. I've sent a note to Curt to explain what's gone on. Enjoy the download.

cilgwyn

I reached my cdr of Symphonies 30-32,last night,and was pleased and more than a little impressed to realise that two of Brian's most imaginative & absorbing symphonies are 30-31. I have heard these before,on cd,but it is listening to them in sequence like this which has finally helped me to 'crack' the later one's,after all these years. I would certainly place these two amongst his most impressive,even,dare I say it (should I?!) awesome achievements.
  As to No 32,I need to listen a little more. It was getting late by the time I listened to that one;although,I know that it is No's 30 & 31 which are listed amongst Johan's favourites,not 32......but 'we'll see!'

Last edit,to add the missing 'i' to 'lttle'. I love that 'modify' button! ;D
.............is it there,now?!!! :o :(

I mean,let's face it;what kind of a society is it,if you leave out the 'i' in little?!!! >:(

J.Z. Herrenberg

It's been very heartening to see you cracking the late-Brian code, cilgwyn! As for No. 32, there are some great things in it, but overall the work is rather bare compared to the very differentiated No. 30 and the wonderfully poised No. 31.

J.Z. Herrenberg

A correspondent of Norman Lebrecht's has just reviewed the concert premiere of Brian's Symphony No. 27 in the US (and NL embedded my Gothic footage...)

http://www.artsjournal.com/slippeddisc/2012/03/havergal-brian-has-a-us-premiere-who-knew.html

Lethevich

Nice to see this review escape the main traps of Brian reviewing from general sources. It was well-written, well-observed, clearly presented and actually useful to any potentially interested reader. Even better, it doesn't intend any grand summation, judgement, or nervous attempt to deem it "interesting" rather than "great" music.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Yes, I like it, too. There are a few errors, but those I can live with, as the review as a whole is enthusiastic and open-minded.

calyptorhynchus

Been listening to the LSSO recording of the 10th. I can't comment at a detailed level, unlike the experts here who talk about individual passages and their interpretation, but I found I liked the LSSO recording better. It was more spacious (2 minutes longer), and seemed to make the 'journey' that the music represents more significant. Liked the sound better too, more open. 

J.Z. Herrenberg

The LSSO Tenth was the only performance we had for a very very long time. Now the Pope and Brabbins are available, and they both have their great qualities. But the LSSO is still the best, I agree.

cilgwyn

I like the Pope version allot,but the LSSO is the best version & the one I grew up with. The Brabbins has the best sound quality,obviously,and it's pretty good (I'm not going to complain! ;D) but it's not the version I'd choose to play. A pity really. I wish Brabbins could have another go at it. Mind you,having said that,I'm a little pleased really that the old LSSO version still beats the new one.....and it's nice for the original musicians,too!

They're still the best! :)

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 24, 2012, 04:51:21 PM
I like the Pope version allot,but the LSSO is the best version & the one I grew up with. The Brabbins has the best sound quality,obviously,and it's pretty good (I'm not going to complain! ;D) but it's not the version I'd choose to play. A pity really. I wish Brabbins could have another go at it. Mind you,having said that,I'm a little pleased really that the old LSSO version still beats the new one.....and it's nice for the original musicians,too!
They're still the best! :)
Most kind. I'll put a cheque in the post. Address please..........

J.Z. Herrenberg

Alex Ross (of The Rest is Noise fame) writes about Simpson and a a bit about Brian:

http://www.therestisnoise.com/2012/03/simpson-in-america.html