Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mandryka on September 28, 2020, 07:49:35 PM
Do you have a large holding of shares in EMI?

:laugh: Good point! Might I add Samson François' complete Ravel to that list as another iconic/reference recording on the EMI roster.  ;D  What can I say, they recorded a lot of great, great stuff.

I still haven't bought a complete Debussy piano set, though that's not really where my interests lie at the moment. I'll try and fix that by year end. Can't really say I'm leaning one way or the other.

@Kavanaugh, that Weissenberg disc is excellent! My girlfriend picked it up for me last year and I've been enjoying it since. I had no expectations for it, knowing nothing about the pianist at the time, but I'm a committed fan now.

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on September 28, 2020, 12:56:38 PM

http://www.cantando.ch/cds/kunstderfuge.html

Thanks. However it will be very expensive (just tax and other import duties will amount to about 25 Euro's from Switzerland), so I think I shall wait to order it until you have heard it and can tell if it is worth owning.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 29, 2020, 02:44:43 AM
Thanks. However it will be very expensive (just tax and other import duties will amount to about 25 Euro's from Switzerland), so I think I shall wait to order it until you have heard it and can tell if it is worth owning.

??? ??? ??? ???  In for a penny in for a pound.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 29, 2020, 02:39:27 AM

@Kavanaugh, that Weissenberg disc is excellent! My girlfriend picked it up for me last year and I've been enjoying it since. I had no expectations for it, knowing nothing about the pianist at the time, but I'm a committed fan now.

:) :) :)

Iota

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 05, 2020, 05:02:06 PM
I've noticed that I do not have any complete set of Debussy's piano music from any one pianist ..

- Jean-Efflam Bavouzet, on Chandos. Again, I have not heard much, but it's been recommended to me on several occasions.

- Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli, on DG. OK, fine, it's not complete, at all. But what I've heard of it is quite incredible, especially les Images—I've never heard anyone play them like that. I was slightly less impressed with the Preludes; equally great, virtuosic playing, but less to offer in terms of interpretative uniqueness.

I always found Bavouzet far more exciting live than in the studio. I haven't seen him live, just heard some terrific recitals on the radio and got hold of the Images/Etudes disc as a result, but was a little disappointed as although they're good enough they seem to lack the magic of what he does live.

I agree about Michelangeli (who I have seen live*), his Images are great but I never got excited about his Preludes. I'd very much recommend Javier Perianes on Harmonia Mundi for Book 1 of the Preludes, they're spellbinding!

There are so many good different recordings of Debussy, many mentioned already, that a single pianist for them all might mean a relatively lean meal, it seems to me. There is a complete Debussy piano works on DG with a mix of pianists, Michelangeli playing Images, Pollini/Etudes, Aimard/Preludes etc, as well as Kocsis, another always interesting Debussy interpreter, and others, if at some point that's of any interest.

* I shook his hand afterwards and was expecting some of the sensitive qualities of his playing to be evident in his handshake, and was really shocked to be greeted with an iron-fisted farmer's grip that almost hurt!

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on September 29, 2020, 03:44:17 AM
??? ??? ??? ???  In for a penny in for a pound.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Yes, I understand your point. But a total expense of 50-60 Euros for one (or two?) CDs is past the pain threshold of my wallet. So I want to know if the recording is worthwhile.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 29, 2020, 10:59:30 AM
Yes, I understand your point. But a total expense of 50-60 Euros for one (or two?) CDs is past the pain threshold of my wallet. So I want to know if the recording is worthwhile.

Just after I posted that, I got an email from them saying that they needed my phone number before dispatch to inform Customs. I took the opportunity to cancel the order.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vers la flamme

Quote from: Iota on September 29, 2020, 08:00:14 AM
I always found Bavouzet far more exciting live than in the studio. I haven't seen him live, just heard some terrific recitals on the radio and got hold of the Images/Etudes disc as a result, but was a little disappointed as although they're good enough they seem to lack the magic of what he does live.

I agree about Michelangeli (who I have seen live*), his Images are great but I never got excited about his Preludes. I'd very much recommend Javier Perianes on Harmonia Mundi for Book 1 of the Preludes, they're spellbinding!

There are so many good different recordings of Debussy, many mentioned already, that a single pianist for them all might mean a relatively lean meal, it seems to me. There is a complete Debussy piano works on DG with a mix of pianists, Michelangeli playing Images, Pollini/Etudes, Aimard/Preludes etc, as well as Kocsis, another always interesting Debussy interpreter, and others, if at some point that's of any interest.

* I shook his hand afterwards and was expecting some of the sensitive qualities of his playing to be evident in his handshake, and was really shocked to be greeted with an iron-fisted farmer's grip that almost hurt!

Oh yes, I have tons and tons of one off discs from this pianist or that playing Debussy, probably amounting to his complete piano works multiple times over. The gap in my library, as I wrote in that post, is a complete set from one pianist. Sometimes I like hearing a single interpreter traversing a composer's entire career—kind of makes it easier to hear the growth from start to finish.

T. D.

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 29, 2020, 01:39:22 PM
Oh yes, I have tons and tons of one off discs from this pianist or that playing Debussy, probably amounting to his complete piano works multiple times over. The gap in my library, as I wrote in that post, is a complete set from one pianist. Sometimes I like hearing a single interpreter traversing a composer's entire career—kind of makes it easier to hear the growth from start to finish.
Gieseking is excellent but the sound quality is highly dodgy IMO and I sold it for that reason. Kocsis great but not complete. I love the ABM recordings I own, but far from complete. I purchased Bavouzet based on your "complete set from one pianist" reasoning and laudatory reviews. I keep listening but it's never excited me, probably my questionable taste...but I'll stick with a mix of performers.

T. D.

Haven't bought many classical recordings of late. These three relatively inexpensive sets have been on wish list, going to purchase one but can't decide which.

ritter

You can't go wrong with Aldo Ciccolini's complete traversal on Debussy's piano works on Erato. Dirt cheap, über-complete and excellent!

[asin]B000FOTHDM[/asin]

Or with an additional disc (the Fantaisie for piano and orchestra, and several songs with Ciccolini as accompanist):

[asin]B07T4MSM97[/asin]

Iota

Sometimes I like hearing a single interpreter traversing a composer's entire career—kind of makes it easier to hear the growth from start to finish.

Right, an excellent idea. Would be very interested to hear who you settle on if/when you get round to it.

JBS

Quote from: T. D. on September 30, 2020, 10:41:44 AM
Haven't bought many classical recordings of late. These three relatively inexpensive sets have been on wish list, going to purchase one but can't decide which.

That set has been staring at me waiting for a listen for the last few days. Your post motivated me to start listening to it.  The first three quartets had strong parallels to Shostakovich, if that is a help. (Given M's seniority to S, and the date of these quartets (1930 and earlier), it would have been S. being influenced by M. if there was a connection.)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vers la flamme

Quote from: Iota on September 30, 2020, 12:11:13 PM
Right, an excellent idea. Would be very interested to hear who you settle on if/when you get round to it.

Some excellent ideas for single discs in your post too, as I don't know any Pollini, Aimard, or Kocsis in Debussy, though I've heard great things about all of them. I'll be on the lookout. As to if/when I get around to it, let's say if I don't get myself a Debussy piano music box by the end of the year, I'll buy myself one as a Christmas present.  ;D

@T.D., sorry to hear you didn't get on with Bavouzet. Maybe keep trying and it'll click, but either way, sounds like you're pretty well set with great Debussy recordings from other pianists.

Iota

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 30, 2020, 04:12:41 PM
I'll buy myself one as a Christmas present.  ;D

Splendid! If you want a thing done well, do it yourself!   ;D

vers la flamme

Thoughts? Not sure whether I need another Beethoven cycle, but this one looks interesting.

Pohjolas Daughter

I'm putting the Ivan Moravec "Portrait" set on my Christmas wish list.  I did my best to check what I currently own of his music vs. the Supraphon website.  By the way, to get a detailed listing as to what's on it, I have a couple of suggestions:

1)  Currently, they are not yet listing this set on their English language website.  You have to go to the Supraphoncz website
2)  I found out that if you click on the tracks themselves, you can find the recording date, place, label, and original release date plus conductor and orchestra if applicable.  Note:  I noticed that most of the tracks include this info, but not all.

I figured that I don't have roughly a third to a half of the contents....including the Nonesuch recordings of the Janacek and the DVD.  Wondering if he ever recorded or performed the complete "On an Overgrown Path"?  Alas, there are only excerpts from it here.  The discographical list that I have goes through 2003...and may not be complete.  Still, it's nice to have it.   :)  I appreciate all of the effort that went to compile it and the cost of putting up and hosting that website.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

André

The composer Akira Ifukube has been mentioned in another thread. I consider a purchase of the Naxos disc of some of his 'serious' music:

... but also that of his film music. He is universally known and revered in Japan as the composer of music for various Godzilla films. Maybe I'll try this one  ::)

Florestan

Help, please!

Does anyone have the Horowitz compilation below? If yes, would you be so kind as to let me know its content, disc by disc? I can't find any such info on the net.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini