What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: ritter on October 15, 2018, 07:40:52 AM
I've never even heard of the series, so must check it out....but, happy birthday, Karlo!  :)
Thank you, Rafael!
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

drogulus

I'm on the 4th season of Engrenages, a French cop show. Like Un village français it stars Audrey Fleurot and Thierry Godard among talented others.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Draško

Just finished 2017/18 season of BBC's University Challenge, watching it on youtube.

I was cheering for Merton College Oxford this season, they were quite impressive the whole tournament, but hugely choked in the big final.

The whole season (missing maybe one or two episodes, which can be found on youtube separately):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGYq1TC708A&list=PLQ9RMm1DVw5Al20fWoFdOI8zsSP6-4wjb

and the final:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYc4rZR-J4U

George

Watching season one for a second time. Great show!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

milk

Well I had a very different reaction to this show than most people. This has been talked about as some wild show, filmed by the True Detective guy (great show), as some wild mayhem that either made no sense, or was fun. I fount it to be a VERY run of the mill formula (after 3 Es): Put people in a weird situation with a device for flashback conjuring. Go to flashbacks to "get people interested in the characters" and then build to something and the journey is supposed to get people hooked and make them feel satisfied. I hate any most show that incorporates flashbacks as it's main device so I disliked this one. Perhaps I missed something in the later Es that turned out for the better. Maybe "something" happens. 3Es of character development was enough for me. I find this to be a very millennial kind of thing. Even lots of popular books do this. I can't remember great shows of yesteryear doing so much of this. Imagine if a show like the prisoner stopped every episode to tell you about his childhood to get you more interested in the character. 

Ken B

Quote from: milk on October 19, 2018, 03:49:56 AM

Well I had a very different reaction to this show than most people. This has been talked about as some wild show, filmed by the True Detective guy (great show), as some wild mayhem that either made no sense, or was fun. I fount it to be a VERY run of the mill formula (after 3 Es): Put people in a weird situation with a device for flashback conjuring. Go to flashbacks to "get people interested in the characters" and then build to something and the journey is supposed to get people hooked and make them feel satisfied. I hate any most show that incorporates flashbacks as it's main device so I disliked this one. Perhaps I missed something in the later Es that turned out for the better. Maybe "something" happens. 3Es of character development was enough for me. I find this to be a very millennial kind of thing. Even lots of popular books do this. I can't remember great shows of yesteryear doing so much of this. Imagine if a show like the prisoner stopped every episode to tell you about his childhood to get you more interested in the character.

It's a lot more common now than it used to be, but there have been outbreaks of flashbackitis for ever. I recently rewatched the 1947 Brute Force, which is a very nice movie broken up by weak flashbacks. There was a serious outbreak in the late 60s.

milk

Quote from: Ken B on October 19, 2018, 10:23:49 AM
It's a lot more common now than it used to be, but there have been outbreaks of flashbackitis for ever. I recently rewatched the 1947 Brute Force, which is a very nice movie broken up by weak flashbacks. There was a serious outbreak in the late 60s.
I thought I read somewhere that Howard Hawks said he was proud of never having used a flashback. I think today's generation is much more literal, and the one before, more literary. Anyone love Deadwood? I'm thinking, like, Al Swearengen recounting his boyhood indignities while receiving a certain sex-act vs. a flashback which SHOWS you the objective truth of early painful experiences. 

George

milk

bwv 1080

Quote from: milk on October 19, 2018, 06:36:26 PM
Can you let us know how that goes?

Ep 3 (the only one I have seen) is like a Twilight Zone episode

Good stuff

milk

Quote from: bwv 1080 on October 19, 2018, 06:47:32 PM
Ep 3 (the only one I have seen) is like a Twilight Zone episode

Good stuff
I'm looking forward to it. But I wonder if I should skip some. Reviews are really hard to decipher on this series.

bwv 1080

Romanovs Episode 1 is good as well and very different - realistic character study

Also watching the good place on Netflix w Ted Danson - the first episode was hilarious

Sydney Nova Scotia

Sydney is my name and games is my game

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sydney Nova Scotia on October 21, 2018, 07:48:02 PM
what is the worst show on your TV?

I could not possibly say.  But, there are reasons I do not watch broadcast TV  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Crudblud

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 22, 2018, 01:09:57 AM
I could not possibly say.  But, there are reasons I do not watch broadcast TV  0:)
I can't stand the inane advertisements and the predictable aesthetics and structures of the programmes that interrupt them.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Crudblud on October 22, 2018, 03:07:46 AM
I can't stand the inane advertisements and the predictable aesthetics and structures of the programmes that interrupt them.

A kindred soul!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ken B

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 22, 2018, 01:09:57 AM
Yeah. If it isn't good enough for DVD it isn't good enough to watch.
Even then it probably isn't good enough.

Karl Henning

Well, I don't necessarily expect Shakespeare in that medium . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

Kidding - a great new show starring Jim Carrey. Anyone else watching this?