What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Draško

Quote from: ChamberNut on February 28, 2019, 04:21:25 AM
How is this?  I believe I have it on my Netflix 'list'.

I'm two episodes in and for now it seems ok. Pretty standard biopic, somewhat glammed up, plenty of sex and some action, some fancy cinematography and all that. I've read they took some liberties later on, I'll see how it goes. So far it's perfectly watchable if not particularly wowing. And of course Washington Post called it Russian propaganda which piqued my curiosity a little bit more.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Draško on February 28, 2019, 03:00:07 AM

I watched part of the first episode. I should have turned it off after the opening sequence, where Trotsky's copulation with some long-legged Russian lady is visually juxtaposed with the pistons of the railroad steam engine. That was the level of subtlety it rose to. :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Draško on February 28, 2019, 04:40:19 AM
I'm two episodes in and for now it seems ok. Pretty standard biopic, somewhat glammed up, plenty of sex and some action, some fancy cinematography and all that. I've read they took some liberties later on, I'll see how it goes. So far it's perfectly watchable if not particularly wowing. And of course Washington Post called it Russian propaganda which piqued my curiosity a little bit more.

I see.  Thank you Draško!

Ciaccona

Lately:

Pretty enjoyable Spanish series - anyone else seen it?.
Still got several episodes to go in the 1st series...

Ken B

Leaving Neverland

Geez is this grim.

I was always rather snobbishly proud of not liking Michael Jackson. I think that was a good call ...

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Draško

Gave up on Trotsky halfway through. Too boring.

Todd

Third season of True Detective.  Looks great.  Sounds great.  Great use of music.  (T Bone Burnett knows his business.)  Great acting by the three leads.  The fight scenes between Mahershala Ali and Carmen Ejogo are especially well written and well acted.  The arrival, first by voice only, then in person, of the putative bad guy in the last two episodes is well done, and is played by the actor who should be the bad guy.  But the crime itself doesn't compel and often fades into the background.  The mid-series shootout is preposterous.  The series ending is entirely unsatisfying.  The use of five timelines, three of them jumbled freely, detracts from rather than adds to dramatic impact.  The very definition of a mixed bag.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

drogulus

Season 2 of American Gods is starting up. All of your favorite gods are there, and then some. I'm on it.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Ken B

Banacek
Season 1
This was part of the mystery movie rotation that included Columbo in 1972 and 73 (then Peppard quit). It holds up a lot better than most stuff from the time. All the crimes are "impossible" and a few of the explanations are quite well done and clever. Not up to Columbo standards certainly but streets better than some of the others in that series, like MacMillan & Wife or McCloud.
Plus Margot Kidder's belly button. And Joanna Pettet's too.

Brahmsian

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ken B on March 11, 2019, 05:54:22 PM
Banacek
Season 1
This was part of the mystery movie rotation that included Columbo in 1972 and 73 (then Peppard quit). It holds up a lot better than most stuff from the time. All the crimes are "impossible" and a few of the explanations are quite well done and clever. Not up to Columbo standards certainly but streets better than some of the others in that series, like MacMillan & Wife or McCloud.
Plus Margot Kidder's belly button. And Joanna Pettet's too.

Cool.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Draško

Quote from: ChamberNut on March 11, 2019, 04:18:36 AM
An excellent series!  Hope you are enjoying it.

It is and I am. Already finished the first season and moved onto the second.

Also finally finished 5th season of Ray Donovan. I used to really like the show but this 5th season was so relentlessly grim and dreary it took me months to finish it. I'm not sure if I'm going to continue watching it. 

Brahmsian

Quote from: Draško on March 13, 2019, 03:53:07 AM
It is and I am. Already finished the first season and moved onto the second.

You're in for a treat.  I think season 2 and 3 were the best ones so far, although they are all good.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Crudblud

Recently finished season 5 of Arrested Development. The first half of the season was not bad at all, but the second half, despite some glaring technical hiccups (which in hindsight have always been a staple of the show), is by far the funniest the show has been since its original run ended in 2006. The ending was bizarre and chaotic in a good way, and feels like a solid point on which to finally end the series.