What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Finally giving The Outer Limits a proper viewing.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 05, 2021, 09:53:58 AM
I'm having frequent trouble with the DVDs, alas!

Hi Karl - had to go back to the page w/ early February posts - you're talking about Kung Fu:laugh:

As stated, I sent my DVD set to my son - not sure if he still has the box nor whether he had problems w/ the discs?  Dave :)

DavidW

I'm rewatching Babylon 5 which was recently remastered in hd.

Fëanor

Quote from: DavidW on March 05, 2021, 01:26:56 PM
I'm rewatching Babylon 5 which was recently remastered in hd.

I recently rewatched all the Babylon 5 TV series in HD video;  (I don't recall watching any of the movies based on them).  OK at best.

I enjoyed rewatching the Andromeda series more; it's less serious but also less pretentious.  I can't help but observe that Lexa Doig, who played the role of the ship's avatar, is one of the most beautiful ladies that I can bring to mind.

SimonNZ

Still going along for the ride, but they've definitely lost their focus and the story is all over the place, seemingly rethought for each episode.

SimonNZ

lately:

six one-hour episodes so everything in that long history is quick and once over lightly, but still a perfectly worthy watch

david johnson

for me: Debris and Resident Alien.  I am angry Project Bluebook was not renewed!

Fëanor

Just finished the first and as yet only season of Tribes of Europa on Netflix.  This is slightly better than average post-apocalyptic sci-fi drama.  IMDB rates it 6.8/10 -- about right:  I give it a solid 7.

There are several character/situation threads in train, all to be continue next season of course.  Actors are solid but unremarkable except Oliver Masucci as the character, Moses, who adds some touches of humor.

Todd

The Good Lord Bird.  Ethan Hawke paired with his wife to bring this to the small screen, and the results are striking.  Based on the novel of the same name, it is the tale of John Brown's raid on Harpers Ferry.  A bizarre, very modern sensibility take on the events with their roots in Bleeding Kansas, the story centers on the odyssey of Henry, a young slave Brown mistakes for a girl, calling him Henrietta and nicknaming him Onion.  Onion meets various people, regular and great, slave and free.  There's the gentlemanly Jeb Stuart, the powerful and persuasive Harriet Tubman, and the thundering Frederick Douglass, here played by Daveed Diggs in an inspired piece of casting, where the great man is portrayed as something less, something more plausible than his (rightly) towering image usually suggests.  There's a touch of the surreal, with stilted dialogue that comes across as a purposeful modern attempt to approximate colloquial speech of the time, and humor aplenty.  Some of the individual scenes rate with the best television and movies of the century.  A brief scene with Keith David in the first episode, where two slaves discuss how various slaves are related, comically skewers various unpleasant practices of the era.  The extended sequence centered on a slave named Sibonia demolishes, in mere minutes, the entirety of everything anyone ever attempted to say in defense of the infernal institution.  The dinner scene between Brown and Douglass encapsulates the differences between passionate calls for action and more level-headed realism.  The scenes between Joshua Caleb Johnson, extremely fine as the central character Onion, and Maya Hawke (a bit of nepotism creeped into the production) have freshness and vitality, showing that the young will always be young.  And at the center is Ethan Hawke as John Brown.  Prone to mumbling, overly long prayers, and poor planning, when roused to cite the good book in his denunciations of slavery and calls for its violent destruction, he roars fire and brimstone.  Brown was crazy, but he was right.  It is telling that this somewhat off-kilter show manages to rely on an anachronistic soundtrack that nonetheless works perfectly.  The best TV I've seen since The Americans ended.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Stürmisch Bewegt

Currently looking at the 3-episode limited series, Armadillo from 2001, a fascinating and challengingly opaque look at the perils and problems of an insurance adjuster.  I really like James Frain, so glad to see him in something new (to me!). 
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Papy Oli

If you haven't seen Bloodlands on the BBC and you were thinking you ought to, just don't.

That's 4 hours I'll never get back.

Anything else you'll decide to do will always be better than this.

Olivier

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 15, 2021, 07:13:58 AM
If you haven't seen Bloodlands on the BBC and you were thinking you ought to, just don't.

That's 4 hours I'll never get back.

Anything else you'll decide to do will always be better than this.

Watched the first episode then switched to the Unforgotten a decision I have not regretted.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Irons on March 15, 2021, 08:06:58 AM
Watched the first episode then switched to the Unforgotten a decision I have not regretted.

Not seen Unforgotten yet, will have to give it a go.

We also have The Bay season 1 on the go as well... Struggling with this one too, a bit dragging.
Olivier

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SonicMan46

Still watching the Murdoch Mysteries finishing Season 6 last night and the first season of NCIS: New Orleans (liked the original much better so not sure if we'll purchase the 2nd season?).

Bosch - just into the first season (apparently a 7th will be the final one?) - we started this series a while back and stopped for some reason - both of us enjoyed, so starting over a few nights ago.  Dave :)

DavidW

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 15, 2021, 10:35:43 AM
Bosch - just into the first season (apparently a 7th will be the final one?) - we started this series a while back and stopped for some reason - both of us enjoyed, so starting over a few nights ago.  Dave :)

I haven't seen the series, but I've read most of the novels in not only Bosch but also the Lincoln Lawyer series and the Jack McEvoy series.  All three series are interconnected.  Michael Connelly is my favorite contemporary mystery/detective writer.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Papy Oli

Finished the 1st season of The Bay last night. Quite slow to get going, you have to bear beyond the first two episodes then it ramps up nicely in intensity and tension after that. Satisfying closing of most of the loose threads in the last episode as well. It is not Broadchurch but it's still decent TV and it nicely offsets the disastrous Bloodlands from earlier in the week  8) We'll continue to the recent season 2 at some point.

Olivier

vandermolen

'The Serpent' - chilling but compulsive viewing:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Stürmisch Bewegt

We are certainly playing catch-up in the TV series department. Began watching All Creatures Great and Small on BritBox and perhaps even more remarkably, thoroughly enjoying it!  British actors, my wife and I are convinced, rule (the waves, air waves...)  ;D
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.