The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 08, 2022, 01:46:51 PM
Not our finest hour.

Red scare and domino theory. Today, white genocide theory (maybe).

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 12, 2022, 09:08:51 AM
Scientists say that we are close to reversal of aging in humans.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/02/health/reverse-aging-life-itself-scn-wellness/index.html

Define "close." It worked in a mouse.

I remember reading how caloric restriction slowed aging in mice. Has anyone shown in works in humans? A mouse lives for 18 months. It seems that whatever process causes a mouse to die after 18 months has already been solved by nature in humans.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Todd

Quote from: Spotted Horses on June 13, 2022, 05:54:10 AMHas anyone shown in works in humans?

No.  From the National Institute on Aging at the NIH: Calorie Restriction and Fasting Diets: What Do We Know?

Quote from: National Institute on AgingSome study results suggest that calorie restriction may have health benefits for humans, but more research is needed before we understand its long-term effects. There are no data in humans on the relationship between calorie restriction and longevity.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Spotted Horses on June 13, 2022, 05:54:10 AM

I remember reading how caloric restriction slowed aging in mice. Has anyone shown in works in humans? A mouse lives for 18 months. It seems that whatever process causes a mouse to die after 18 months has already been solved by nature in humans.

It may not be close. Thank you.

DavidW

Quote from: Spotted Horses on June 13, 2022, 05:54:10 AM

There is also a problem that journalists are quick to jump on research that has not been exhaustively tested by independent labs, sometimes even reporting on results of papers that haven't even been accepted by peer reviewed journals.  Add in the propensity for them to misinterpret, exaggerate, misunderstand or outright lie and anything remotely scientific coming from some place like CNN should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

drogulus

In terms of some super important thing or other, we are in a bear market. I bought me a Canadian bank for cheap.

All heck has broke loose. Take it from me, the earth is rising towards the sky at a precipitous rate. Y'all gonna die!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

drogulus

Joe Biden, destroyer of worlds!

See where China is inflation-wise? They're in deep stag and they can't even get a good flation on! That's fucked up.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

drogulus

I think you need a closer genetic match to humans. Supposedly pigs are more suitable than mice, but I would think that it would take a long time to get results with animals that have much longer lifespans than mice.

MusicTurner

Canada and Denmark just got a common 1.2 km land border.

You can now stand solidly with a foot in each of the two countries - that is, with a bit of travelling to get to the place. The long-lasting 'Whisky War' is over.

https://www.arctictoday.com/canada-denmark-agree-on-a-landmark-deal-over-disputed-hans-island/

André

Quote from: MusicTurner on June 13, 2022, 08:23:33 PM
Canada and Denmark just got a common 1.2 km land border.

You can now stand solidly with a foot in each of the two countries - that is, with a bit of travelling to get to the place. The long-lasting 'Whisky War' is over.

https://www.arctictoday.com/canada-denmark-agree-on-a-landmark-deal-over-disputed-hans-island/

Nice !

Karl Henning

Stocks stem losses but still close out worst week since March 2020
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

drogulus

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 17, 2022, 04:01:44 PM
Stocks stem losses but still close out worst week since March 2020

I would urge everyone to sell sell sell before the market uncrashes if I wasn't fully invested. Since I always am, I don't really care what people do. What difference does it make?

MusicTurner

The rise in gasoline prices has various side effects: now, the police was left completely baffled at a highway speed control here in DK:
among 4400 drivers, only 0.3 % exceeded the speed level somewhat, and none were serious offenses. 'It's completely surreal', a police office was quoted saying.

Todd

Karl Henning

Quote from: MusicTurner on June 17, 2022, 08:56:54 PM
The rise in gasoline prices has various side effects: now, the police was left completely baffled at a highway speed control here in DK:
among 4400 drivers, only 0.3 % exceeded the speed level somewhat, and none were serious offenses. 'It's completely surreal', a police office was quoted saying.

That's a hoot!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: drogulus on June 17, 2022, 07:02:33 PM
     I would urge everyone to sell sell sell before the market uncrashes if I wasn't fully invested. Since I always am, I don't really care what people do. What difference does it make?

Well, of course, occasional volatility is simply The Norm. I think I'll wait a few weeks before checking my 401(k) again.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

drogulus

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 18, 2022, 06:23:06 AM
Well, of course, occasional volatility is simply The Norm. I think I'll wait a few weeks before checking my 401(k) again.

I have a Roth IRA that's about 20% off the high. Yikes? Well, maybe a little, like yikes! The stocks therein have dividends reinvested so I'm picking up a few shares at bargain prices. When the market recovers my Roth will be like a big gigantic thing.

But then, what is normal when you get down to it?

Karl Henning

Quote from: drogulus on June 18, 2022, 09:58:49 AM
     I have a Roth IRA that's about 20% off the high. Yikes? Well, maybe a little, like yikes! The stocks therein have dividends reinvested so I'm picking up a few shares at bargain prices. When the market recovers my Roth will be like a big gigantic thing.

But then, what is normal when you get down to it?

Aye, it will rebound.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA