What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Alberich on September 20, 2018, 06:44:21 AM
I couldn't wait anymore so I started reading Ninety-Three.

You're in for a treat. Please report when you have time.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Jaakko Keskinen

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

SonicMan46

Well, left a post a few months ago - now on another half dozen books (tend to mix physical & e-books):

Click Here To Kill Everybody - Bruce Schneier (2018) - security in today's world of the 'Internet of Things' - scary read so far!
Fear - Bob Woodward (2018) - bought on Apple's Books - Susan & I both reading - yet another scary book!
History of Jazz, The - Ted Gioia (2011 - 2nd ed) - had the first edition - missed this one until now - just starting in paperback.
Rome: A History in Seven Sackings - Matthew Kneale (2018) - major sacks of Rome from before Caesar to WW II.
Something Wonderful - Todd Purdum (2018) - just finished - excellent read (covers Hart, too) - MUST for musical show lovers!
Walls: A History of Civilization in Blood & Bricks - David Frye (2018) - just started on Kindle app - should be good.  Dave :)

NikF

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

SimonNZ

hpowders

"Hitler's Willing Executioners; Ordinary Germans and the Holocaust" by Daniel Jonah Goldhagen

Reading it for the third time. Like all great works of art, multiple encounters always provide something new.

Recommended to those members interested in this still inconceivable historical subject. A brilliant job!
"Why do so many of us try to explain the beauty of music thus depriving it of its mystery?" Leonard Bernstein. (Wait a minute!! Didn't Bernstein spend most of his life doing exactly that???)

Elgarian Redux

My wife has been reading Georgette Heyer's Regency novels since the 1960s, but I never thought to sit down with any of them myself until recently (see here: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,28492.msg1172072.html#msg1172072). I discover that they are like chocolates: finish one, and you want another. They're variable in quality (not surprising, since she wrote so many), but all have charm, delightful wit, and are written with exquisite delicacy. She also has a profound knowledge of the period, with which she creates a world into which I can enter almost instantly and suspend disbelief.

Just finished Frederica, and it is one of the most satisfying I've read so far, with characters in whose company it's a pleasure to spend time.

Another aspect of this that appeals especially to me is the interest Heyer took in the dust jacket designs for the hardback editions of the books - the best being by Arthur Barbosa, like this one here for Frederica.

Jaakko Keskinen

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

MN Dave

"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Florestan on September 26, 2018, 05:57:40 AM
You're done with Ninety-Three, I presume.  :D

Nope, not even close. I like to read several books at once.

- Victor Hugo

Florestan

Quote from: MN Dave on September 26, 2018, 06:47:34 AM
I've attempted to climb that mountain twice.

And failed. :)

Non c'è due senza tre:)

MN Dave

"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

Omicron9

"The Big Love: Life and Death with Bill Evans," by Laurie Verchomin.  I'm a huge Bill Evans fan; Laurie was his life partner for the final couple of years of his life, and was there when he passed.  Well-written and fascinating; however, it is not an easy read.  The author holds nothing back, and in many passages it almost reads as a personal journal.  By "not an easy read," I mean the facts and details of the last couple of years of Bill's life are not easy to read.

Highly recommended.

"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Omicron9

Quote from: Omicron9 on September 27, 2018, 02:22:55 AM
"The Big Love: Life and Death with Bill Evans," by Laurie Verchomin.  I'm a huge Bill Evans fan; Laurie was his life partner for the final couple of years of his life, and was there when he passed.  Well-written and fascinating; however, it is not an easy read.  The author holds nothing back, and in many passages it almost reads as a personal journal.  By "not an easy read," I mean the facts and details of the last couple of years of Bill's life are not easy to read.

http://www.billevanswebpages.com/biglove-varrallo.htm

Highly recommended.

"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Brian

Quote from: Omicron9 on September 27, 2018, 02:22:55 AM

Highly recommended.

Sounds very much like Sue Graham Mingus's memoir of her last few years with Charles. That was a beautiful, excellent, difficult read.

SimonNZ