What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: JBS on December 09, 2018, 04:25:49 PM
Thar last book says it has a foreword by Victor Davis Hanson, who used to be a good classical scholar but has turned into a right wing hack. I would therefore Ibrahim's book is heavily biased against Islam, because Hanson certainly is.
Ibrahim is an apostate from Islam, and a convert to Christianity.  I have read a couple of his articles. They are indeed harsh in tone, and polemical, though seemed well researched. He criticizes Mohammed for his murder of Jews, which many Islamic apologists do not do.

I confess I dislike hearing criticism of a religion described as bias against it. All religions are demonstrably false.

JBS

Quote from: Ken B on December 09, 2018, 05:06:25 PM
Ibrahim is an apostate from Islam, and a convert to Christianity.  I have read a couple of his articles. They are indeed harsh in tone, and polemical, though seemed well researched. He criticizes Mohammed for his murder of Jews, which many Islamic apologists do not do.

I confess I dislike hearing criticism of a religion described as bias against it. All religions are demonstrably false.

Religions may be false, but God is very real. Dogmatic atheism is as false as dogmatic Christianity or dogmatic Islam.
I know about Muhammad's penchant for killing others, including Jews. Interestingly, he fits very well into Jewish teaching about prophecy, which takes into account that even valid prophets can be misled by their egos into becoming false prophets.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Ken B

Quote from: JBS on December 09, 2018, 05:15:34 PM
Religions may be false, but God is very real. Dogmatic atheism is as false as dogmatic Christianity or dogmatic Islam.
I know about Muhammad's penchant for killing others, including Jews. Interestingly, he fits very well into Jewish teaching about prophecy, which takes into account that even valid prophets can be misled by their egos into becoming false prophets.
God is false too, but I just want to point out that is not what I claimed. I can prove all extant monotheistic religions are false. God is a different question. I freely confess I cannot prove Bal and Thor do not exist, only that there is no reason to believe they do. The only god who canbe proven not to exist is an all all knowing, all powerful, all good god. You know the kind I mean.  ;)

Daverz

Quote from: 2dogs on December 08, 2018, 08:24:07 AM
I'm not 100% certain Klingons actually get the concept of political correctness :-\.

Trying telling a Klingon, oh, say "Kahless wasn't such a great warrior."  You may find out what is politically incorrect for a Klingon.

Jaakko Keskinen

More Sherlock Holmes. Blue Carbuncle.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Jaakko Keskinen

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Jo498

Quote from: Alberich on December 11, 2018, 09:50:37 AM
More Sherlock Holmes. Blue Carbuncle.
you are a little early, that's a Christmas story, isn't it?
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Jaakko Keskinen

You're right, it is. I just didn't know it before I started reading.

- Victor Hugo

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: JBS on December 09, 2018, 05:15:34 PM

Religions are true, all of them, they are a manifestation of biology. God is an invention.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on December 12, 2018, 09:09:57 AM
Religions are true, all of them, they are a manifestation of biology. God is an invention.

It's amazing what the clouds of hydrogen and helium atoms resulting from the Big Bang have produced over 13 billion years, so much diversity, complexity and beauty and even into the immaterial realms of music and ideas such as those religions with all their commentaries and embellishments 8).

Artem

In the last couple of months it's been mostly rereading for me. Finished Yevgeny Zamyatin's We and planning to finish rereading all the W.G.Sebald's books that I have. So far I'd finished After Nature, Vertigo and The Emigrants. He's one of my favourite writers and it's been a real pleasure to read him again.

bwv 1080

Quote from: Artem on December 17, 2018, 01:04:40 AM
In the last couple of months it's been mostly rereading for me. Finished Yevgeny Zamyatin's We and planning to finish rereading all the W.G.Sebald's books that I have. So far I'd finished After Nature, Vertigo and The Emigrants. He's one of my favourite writers and it's been a real pleasure to read him again.

Been doing the same on the two audiobooks that are on audible - Austerlitz and The Emigrants

bwv 1080

nice collection of short stories focused on China in the 80s and 90s and the transition to the current state capitalist system and focused on ordinary people trying to make the best of their opportunities

SimonNZ

Finished:

Various things on the go:

Ken B

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 22, 2018, 12:18:28 AM
Finished:

Various things on the go:

Game, Set, Match are on my shelf, hoping to be re read soon. I read Jardine's Ingenious Pursuits, and it was pretty interesting.

Jaakko Keskinen

- Victor Hugo

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Jaakko Keskinen

- Victor Hugo

SimonNZ

Quote from: Ken B on December 22, 2018, 07:13:55 AM
Game, Set, Match are on my shelf, hoping to be re read soon. I read Jardine's Ingenious Pursuits, and it was pretty interesting.

Berlin Game was even better than The Ipcress File, so I'll happily do all three of Game, Set and Match - and I learn that there are three trilogies involving this group of characters. Also that there was a tv series of GSM made in the 80s with Ian Holm that I was unaware of and want to track down.

Ken B

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 22, 2018, 02:12:00 PM
Berlin Game was even better than The Ipcress File, so I'll happily do all three of Game, Set and Match - and I learn that there are three trilogies involving this group of characters. Also that there was a tv series of GSM made in the 80s with Ian Holm that I was unaware of and want to track down.
Yes, a trilogy of trilogies. LD says they can be read in any order — which cost him much effort — but I read them long ago in order. There is also Winter, a family saga of WW2, in which earlier generations of Samsons and Renssalears appear.