What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

The Thief's Journal: Jean Genet.

aligreto

DH Lawrence: Love Among The Haystacks and Other Stories

This collection of short stories is a re-read for me and it was an enjoyable one.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on November 19, 2021, 08:47:36 AM
DH Lawrence: Love Among The Haystacks and Other Stories

This collection of short stories is a re-read for me and it was an enjoyable one.

I love "Love Among the Haystacks" ! I like it's subtlety, sensuality, and atmosphere.

Mandryka

Quote from: Artem on November 16, 2021, 11:45:20 AM
I've read a few Modiano's books. I enjoyed reading them, but I don't remember a single thing about them.

Indeed.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 19, 2021, 07:29:50 AM
The Thief's Journal: Jean Genet.

I read this in English when I was about 18, and it had a real impact, so much so that I went on a sort of homage to the seedy old drinking places in Rotterdam old port looking for Stilitano. Then I reread it about five years ago in French and found it unbearably dull and adolescent, with its eroticisation of crime.

I'm kind of open to the idea that Genet is a great author who has somehow eluded me though -- there's also Satre's St Genet to think about.

Crudblud

The Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus

Mostly going over my head, but I've come to expect that of first reads of philosophical treatises.

aligreto

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 19, 2021, 08:57:04 AM

I love "Love Among the Haystacks" ! I like it's subtlety, sensuality, and atmosphere.

Yes, and also the tension that exists between the two brothers is quite palpable. It is an excellent story indeed.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on November 19, 2021, 12:10:12 PM
I read this in English when I was about 18, and it had a real impact, so much so that I went on a sort of homage to the seedy old drinking places in Rotterdam old port looking for Stilitano. Then I reread it about five years ago in French and found it unbearably dull and adolescent, with its eroticisation of crime.

I'm kind of open to the idea that Genet is a great author who has somehow eluded me though -- there's also Satre's St Genet to think about.

I was 16 years old when I read the book first time, and I was shocked. Still I like the work. I used to like Sartre but his works don't appeal to me anymore.

Artem

Strong recommendation for The Unwinding. The others I'd pass.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Artem on November 20, 2021, 10:43:33 AM
Strong recommendation for The Unwinding.

Good to hear. I've got it waiting on the shelves after hearing a string of highly intelligent long-form interviews with the author.

He was/is one of those interviewees who aren't getting through their marketing bullet points, but letting each conversation go where it will, never say the same thing twice but still convey that you know your subject completely, and where each conversation shines a different light on the book, each highly persuasive in its own way.

Artem

Packer is a great writer. You don't want to put the book down. It was also interesting to me how timeless that book felt even though it was published almost 10 years ago on a subject of US history culminating at a certain point in time. I will definitely get his book about Iraq next.

ritter

Taking a break from André Salmon's fascinating (but also very long) memoirs, with a short novella by Jean Giono, Faust au village.

I had never read anything by Giono, but this short book, dealing with fantastic elements, is very attractive. Very "local" (Giono was the "literary ambassador"of the region that covers northern Provence and the southern Dauphiné), with lots of geographic detail —real and imaginary—, but beautifully written in a folksy way, and quite entertaining.

SonicMan46

Cuba: An American History (2021) by Ada Ferrer - bio of her below from Amazon - well rated there and also at Goodreads - just starting but so far quite enjoyable.  Dave :)

QuoteAda Ferrer is Julius Silver Professor of History and Latin American and Caribbean Studies at New York University, where she has taught since 1995. She is the author of Insurgent Cuba: Race, Nation, and Revolution, 1868–1898, which won the 2000 Berkshire Book Prize for the best first book by a woman in any field of history, and Freedom's Mirror: Cuba and Haiti in the Age of Revolution, which won the Frederick Douglass Prize from the Gilder Lehrman Center at Yale University, as well as multiple prizes from the American Historical Association. Her writing has appeared in The New Yorker, The Washington Post, The Hill, the American Historical Review, and she has held fellowships from the Guggenheim Foundation, the Cullman Center for Scholars and Writers and the New York Public Library, the American Council of Learned Societies, the National Endowment for the Humanities, and more. Born in Cuba and raised in the US, she has been traveling to and conducting research on the island regularly since 1990. (Amazon Review)

Mandryka

Difficult because it's often not obvious whether you're reading a dream being narrated, or a memory - this is deliberate. Modiano's idea is precisely that the boundaries between the experienced present, the half remembered past and dreams are porous. Probably a masterpiece.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Failure, Colin Feltham.
Nice, successful, philosophy book.

SimonNZ

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Spotted Horses

The Haunting of Hill House, Shirley Jackson.

A literary ghost story, but I didn't find it as attractive as the other Shirley Jackson works I've read, which focused on dark humor and social commentary.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 20, 2021, 06:26:33 AM
I was 16 years old when I read the book first time, and I was shocked. Still I like the work. I used to like Sartre but his works don't appeal to me anymore.

A lot of things I liked when I was a teen no longer engage me, especially books of philosophy.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Florestan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 25, 2021, 05:13:20 AM
A lot of things I liked when I was a teen no longer engage me, especially books of philosophy.

+ 1.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy