The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulR

I am glad the next time I go to Bowling Green, OH I don't have to come back until November.

Szykneij

Composers b. 101-200 B.C.
Pick your top 1 from the following list.
You many only select up to 1 option.

Flaccus

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Szykneij on April 21, 2011, 05:39:02 PM
Composers b. 101-200 B.C.
Pick your top 1 from the following list.
You many only select up to 1 option.

Flaccus

Umm, I chose Flaccidus uh, Flaccus, Tony, because I really didn't know another.  My bad... :D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Royal PO / Previn  Ax - Bia 337 Op 37 Concerto #3 in c for Piano 1st mvmt - Allegro con brio
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Szykneij

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 21, 2011, 05:56:05 PM
Umm, I chose Flaccidus uh, Flaccus, Tony, because I really didn't know another.  My bad... :D

8)

I considered including his cousin Flatulent during the tedious compiling of the list, but I ran out of gas ...

0:)
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Szykneij on April 21, 2011, 06:00:04 PM
I considered including his cousin Flatulent during the tedious compiling of the list, but I ran out of gas ...

0:)

Wait, I have some..... crap it got away.   :-X  Guess I'll see you guys later!  :o

8)

----------------
Now playing: Royal PO / Previn  Ax - Bia 337 Op 37 Concerto #3 in c for Piano 2nd mvmt - Largo
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Philoctetes

My knee surgery is scheduled for Friday.  8)

DavidW

Brian

My live blog of the Royal Wedding. With pot-shots at Dave Cameron and John Rutter.

karlhenning

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brian on April 29, 2011, 03:56:47 AM
My live blog of the Royal Wedding. With pot-shots at Dave Cameron and John Rutter.

"Uh, so it turns out the person in all-yellow with a big yellow cylinder on their head is... the Queen. Sorry, United Kingdom. I hope I haven't offended you. If it is any consolation, she does look slightly sharper than David Cameron."

Hilarious, Brian  :D  I havent been paying any attention to the wedding (didn't even know it was today) until I saw your post about the blog. Yours is the only coverage I'm interested in. Keep on truckin'  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

"The household trumpeters botching their fanfares, again. A couple of those notes were sharper than David Cameron."--Brian's blog

;D :D ;D

I think it's tradition  :D  When I saw a change of the Horse Guards, the trumpeter (mounted) botched it coming and going. But this is probably as good as it got on the battlefield-- so, in a way, it's authentic  ;)

Sarge

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Luke

This ardent republican, intending to hide his head under the duvet all day, took a peek. Hm. I have to admit I  felt a surge of guilty pleasure at times - not down to any of the people involved in the day but simply...well, sometimes a bit of Parry or Walton just does that to a person. Turn the sound down and it was just a bunch of people in funny clothes flouncing around in a big old building; turn it up and the goosebumps and lumps in the throat spring up. The power of music!

'I Was Glad' as she walked up the aisle, alone, a long distance camera shot showing her walking into the distance through a forest of trees and giant pillars - that was stirring stuff in a fairytale, innocent-into-the-woods kind of way; Crown Imperial as they walked out also powerful in a much more rigid, pageantry-driven way which I usually detest. Damn those rhetorical tropes with which music plays with our unwanted responses! The power of a big ol' dominant preparation and a swelling patriotic tune as the happy couple (about whom, sound down, I could not care less) appear on the steps. Ugh. I feel soiled  ;D

Thankfully, the Rutter was awful, though, so that was OK....

Oh, and the organist, Rob Quinney, was my 'college son' at university. So really, I should have had an invite  ;D

Now I have to find some music with which to cleanse the palate...

karlhenning

Quote from: Luke on April 29, 2011, 04:51:13 AM
. . . Thankfully, the Rutter was awful, though, so that was OK....

Yes, he's quite reliable there.

Luke

Predictably bad, but really it stuck out so terribly when surrounded by Proper Big Tunes that go somewhere and mean something. The usual four bars of arpegiated noodling (poor, poor Rob having to play that to the world) followed by a kind of poppy, directionless...thing. Sometimes Rutter can hit on a fine melody and can shape it to a pointed, cathartic place, but not here. And though I myself am not religious, it rankles with me that he, who has no faith, has made a career out of setting words that clearly do not mean anything much to him beyond their inherent poetry. It strikes a sour note to think - yes, but the emotion and the piety you are simiulating in this music is just that: simulation.

karlhenning

A cynical undercurrent which is entirely alien to the sacred music of RVW, e.g.

The Diner

I got your royal wedding...

ibanezmonster

This s*it is so freaking stupid...

(to say my honest opinion)

Philoctetes