What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M forever

SonicMan46

Quote from: M forever on August 24, 2008, 04:26:34 PM
Ostrich?

M - yep, forget that wimp of a bird, Quetzal - you need a BIG BIRD to eat!  ;D

Ostrich is a lean 'red' meat (better than chicken breast for fat/cholesterol) that needs to be cooked medium rare - been eating the bird for years now; in fact, a lot of ostrich (and emu) farms in the USA, including North Carolina; so, if you (or others) like a red meat but want to avoid the issues w/ a fatty steak, then ostrich is a great option (BTW, also eat a lot of bison & other wild game, again fewer calories, fat, & cholesterol).  :D

Wanderer

Quote from: M forever on August 24, 2008, 11:49:18 AM
It is probably edible (aren't all birds?), but you would need a lot of those to make a full meal, I think.

For the starved, perhaps, but wouldn't that be like wearing your best suit to go to the dentist?  :D
This is such an iconic creature for central America I doubt anyone would consider eating it. Plucking it would certainly take a lot of time and it would leave less than half of what's seen in the pictures for the actual cooking...  ;D

Quote from: SonicMan on August 24, 2008, 05:04:33 PM
Ostrich is a lean 'red' meat (better than chicken breast for fat/cholesterol) that needs to be cooked medium rare - been eating the bird for years now; in fact, a lot of ostrich (and emu) farms in the USA, including North Carolina; so, if you (or others) like a red meat but want to avoid the issues w/ a fatty steak, then ostrich is a great option (BTW, also eat a lot of bison & other wild game, again fewer calories, fat, & cholesterol).  :D

I've been meaning to try it for some time but haven't got the chance yet. There's a number of farms in Greece already (one of which I've visited) and ostrich's appearing in more restaurant menus as time goes by.

toledobass

I'm on the road today and will get some chili when I pass through Cinci.

Allan

SonicMan46

Well, out to our local mountain place just down the road, River Birch Lodge:

I had one of my favs - vension tenderloin w/ a couple of veggies + a few glasses on Pinot Noir - excellent, as usual!  :D

But, wife had the Rack of Baby Back Ribs - she loves but does not order these often - large rack!  I'm not a big rib eater, but these are absolutely delicious; meat wonderfully flavored and just falls off the bone - lightly sauced - think I could get to like these!  ;D

Doing a short vacation next weekend to Memphis - second visit for me, but expect to have quite a varied experience, including eating some barbecue!  We'll be staying @ the famous Peabody Hotel, i.e. the ducks walking into the lobby - stayed there w/ my son years ago when we did a trip together into Mississippi to look for the blues -  8)

M forever

Quote from: SonicMan on August 27, 2008, 04:23:27 PM
Rack of Baby Back Ribs

Baby Back? What kind of baby are we talking about?

SonicMan46

Quote from: M forever on August 28, 2008, 07:05:00 PM
Baby Back? What kind of baby are we talking about?

LOL -  ;D  Pork ribs - short quote from Wiki below - not sure what the age of the pig needs to be, though?  Also, pic below shows pretty much the way our local restaurant prepares the ribs, however, she had veggies & fruit as side dishes (fries & cole slaw looks good, too!) -  :D

QuoteBaby back ribs, sometimes called loin ribs or simply back ribs, are taken from the top of the rib cage between the spine and the spareribs, below the loin muscle. They have meat between the bones and are shorter but meatier than spareribs. The rack is shorter at one end, due to the natural tapering of a pig's rib cage. The shortest bones are typically only about 3" (7.6 cm) and the longest is usually about 6" (15.2 cm), depending on the size of the hog. Whilst a pig has 15 ribs, a rack of baby back ribs contains a minimum of 8 ribs but can include up to 15 ribs depending on how it has been prepared by the butcher.

toledobass

Quote from: SonicMan on August 29, 2008, 05:08:21 AM
LOL -  ;D  Pork ribs - short quote from Wiki below - not sure what the age of the pig needs to be, though?  Also, pic below shows pretty much the way our local restaurant prepares the ribs, however, she had veggies & fruit as side dishes (fries & cole slaw looks good, too!) -  :D

I'm pretty sure age doesn't play a part in baby back ribs and the baby part simply refers to the size of the ribs compared to normal spare rib size.

Allan

SonicMan46

Quote from: toledobass on August 29, 2008, 06:04:18 AM
I'm pretty sure age doesn't play a part in baby back ribs and the baby part simply refers to the size of the ribs compared to normal spare rib size.

Allan - that's what I thought, esp. looking at the SIZE of the 'rack of ribs' brought to the table - certainly, not a suckling pig!  ;) ;D  Dave

Lilas Pastia

The picture shows two pigs.

M forever

You're calling SonicMan a pig? (If that's even him in the pic.)

Lilas Pastia

No, that's not him ;). But whoever eats that thingy there must be one. Probably going into a three day digestive torpor.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on August 29, 2008, 04:30:25 PM
No, that's not him ;). But whoever eats that thingy there must be one. Probably going into a three day digestive torpor.

M & André - first, that's not me in the pic; however, the size of that rib rack is pretty much what my wife had the other night (so, is she a pig?  ;) ;D) - actually, I had the venison that night and helped her w/ 2 or 3 ribs, myself - could not help myself - actually 2/3 or more of that rack turn out to be the bones, so not really as much to eat as 'meets the eye'!  :)  Dave

Lilas Pastia

I know, a lot of it is bones. But still, that's double my intake capacity (and I love ribs !!). Maybe that's because I usually clean up the veggies and potatoes before attacking them. I suppose I could get through it all if I skipped the rest :D.

SonicMan46

Well, to leave the subject of ribs (for the moment!) - just returned from an overnight in Charlotte, NC (90 mins from home) to see the Pompeii Exhibit at the Discovery Place - outstanding presentation, ending w/ a half dozen or more of the famous 'castings' of humans & animals - :o

But we dined that evening at a downtown favorite restaurant of ours there - the Mimosa Grill - kind of noveau southern cooking:

Appetizers - shared a fresh peach/argula blue cheese salad & smoked trout crabcakes (i.e. trout w/i the cakes - just superb!)

Main courses - wife had the Shrimp & Grits, almost like a stew w/ scallops, mussels, and pieces of fresh lobster - did not hear a word from her!  I had the Crusted North Carolina Catfish w/ rock shrimp succotash + lobster jus & a little spice/heat - just delicious; one of the moistest catfish that I've even eaten.  For me, a couple of glasses of Pinot Gris from the Central Coast of California.

Dessert shared also - peach tart w/ home-made cinnamon ice cream & fresh large blackberries w/ a delightful sauce + some cappuccinos!

Our 3rd or 4th visit to that eatery, and always interesting, innovative, & delicious - will return -  ;D

ezodisy

pizza. feel like i'm going to throw up

vandermolen

Marmite and tomato on toast  :P :P :P
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Lilas Pastia

Back from a late day at work, I picked some stuff at the grocery: made-on-the-premises sushi, greek olives and dalmodakia, extra-sharp english cheddar and indian naan bread. Washed down with a german schwarzbier. Burp.

ezodisy

Quote from: M forever on August 24, 2008, 04:26:34 PM
Ostrich?

Sometimes I have ostrich steak or ostrich burgers when visiting Borough Market by London Bridge, which is (central) London's biggest and best farmer's market. Great place to visit on a lazy Saturday, right next to Shakespeare's Globe and the Tate Modern. I found the meat itself pretty much identical to beef steak. But then it was well done (not my choice), and I see Sonicman says it should be medium rare, which is how I like steak anyway, so if I visit again I will try to get it done that way.

Quote from: Wanderer on August 24, 2008, 10:28:25 PM
There's a number of farms in Greece already (one of which I've visited) and ostrich's appearing in more restaurant menus as time goes by

You've got those ostriches in the central park in the centre of the city, I wonder why they're there...I've seen them on each visit -- the ugliest animals I have ever seen. They are hideous in person, peering through the bars at you with all the desire in the world to peck your eyes out. It occured to me just now to enquire if the ostrich represents any country as the national animal: turns out it's Grenada. Greece has the sheep  ;D

Kullervo

Some real comfort food: angel hair pasta in white sauce (I think to be bechamel it has to have nutmeg — correct me if I'm wrong). Slightly more trouble to make but much more filling than tomato sauce.