What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renfield

A delightful coincidence (though a little more colourful than just carrots ;D):

After the salmon I wasn't entirely satisfied with, and since the situation was similar (late, hungry, materials readily available), I repeated the dish with chicken, instead. Suffice to say, I think I've got the hang of the gas hob, at last: the aforementioned chicken, in particular, was superb! :)

Haffner

Kraft Macaroni and Cheese

oooOOOO Yeah!

bhodges

Quote from: AndyD. on March 27, 2009, 01:13:30 PM
Kraft Macaroni and Cheese

oooOOOO Yeah!

For the first 25 years of my life, I used to eat that at least once a week.   ;D

--Bruce

Haffner

Quote from: bhodges on March 27, 2009, 01:18:07 PM
For the first 25 years of my life, I used to eat that at least once a week.   ;D

--Bruce

;D It's good and soooo CHEAP!

toledobass

When I was a youngster my mom would make it for us after school. She'd reserve just a little bit of the powdered cheese so the brothers and I could sprinkle a little bit on top of our own plates of the stuff.

Allan

Dr. Dread

Mixed nuts.

Now, I think I'll have some vodka.  :P

Bogey

Quote from: AndyD. on March 27, 2009, 01:18:58 PM

;D It's good and soooo CHEAP!

Only when you buy the original, Ange.  If you try to save a few pennies (literally) and get the really cheap stuff, even our three basset hounds will not touch it.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Solitary Wanderer

Yeah, I loved my Mothers macaroni cheese when I was a kid. My job was to grate the cheese.

Very rarely eat macaroni cheese as a adult.
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Haffner

Quote from: toledobass on March 27, 2009, 01:21:43 PM
When I was a youngster my mom would make it for us after school. She'd reserve just a little bit of the powdered cheese so the brothers and I could sprinkle a little bit on top of our own plates of the stuff.

Allan

You had a great Mom, Allan!

Bogey

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on March 27, 2009, 01:23:54 PM
Yeah, I loved my Mothers macaroni cheese when I was a kid. My job was to grate the cheese.

Oh, the real homemade stuff Chris has as much to do with the Kraft M&C as lobster does with fake crab meat.  :)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Haffner

Quote from: Bogey on March 27, 2009, 01:26:03 PM
Oh, the real homemade stuff Chris has as much to do with the Kraft M&C as lobster does with fake crab meat.  :)

But Bill, you do eat the more pricey Kraft M&C...admit it!

Bogey

Quote from: AndyD. on March 27, 2009, 01:27:51 PM

But Bill, you do eat the more pricey Kraft M&C...admit it!

Yup, I do.  Just some things I won't skimp on.

bhodges

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on March 27, 2009, 01:23:54 PM

I *love* the real stuff.  (Actually the Kraft product isn't so bad, as long as you don't spill any of the yellow powdered cheese on anything valuable.  ;D)

But real mac 'n' cheese, mmm

--Bruce

Solitary Wanderer

Before the concert last night we tried a Japanese Yakitori bar, here's my review:

Being keen regulars at both Kura and Tanuki we thought it was time to finally try Tanuki's Cave. The most important point about Tanuki's Cave is that it's a bar that serves Yakitori style food, not a restaurant. You descend down a steep and dark staircase to enter into a compact bar area complete with neon signs and blaring rap/lounge music. It's very much a trendy place to congregate being mainly populated by cool twenty-something's meeting up with friends. Within half an hour of arriving there the place was full and new arrivals were given a ticket to wait for a spot at the bar to become free for service. We had miso soup and steamed rice basics along with a cabbage salad which was the most unattractive and unappealing dish I've seen in a 'restaurant' for some time; just roughly chopped raw cabbage with, what looked like, half a pot of mayonnaise dumped on the side. We tried a selection of the Yakitori style skewered meats (charcoal grilled and served on wooden skewers) including the pork, chicken livers, mushrooms stuffed with chicken mince and Kushiage style (deep fried in breadcrumbs) kumara almond ball. The three meats were all fairly nondescript with the stuffed mushrooms being the most interesting due to its moistness and more distinct seasoning. The kumara almond ball was dry and hard on the outside and stodgy and bland on the inside to the point where I only had three bites before giving up on it. The service was lightening fast which was good because we were running a little late for a show at the Town Hall. While I appreciate this was a bar scene, I found the loud music to be quite disorientating and distracting and I had to fight an urge to leave shortly after we arrived. I could see the regulars enjoying meeting and chatting while they drank Sapporo on tap and nibbling on skewered BBQ style meats. So overall a fairly underwhelming experience foodwise, but interesting nonetheless for a one-off experience.
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Jay F

Quote from: bhodges on March 27, 2009, 01:18:07 PM

--Bruce
I have never eaten it, even once.

Benji

Mac cheese is really big here in Scotland and, consequently perhaps, so is much of the population.  >:D 

Benji

Quote from: Corey on March 27, 2009, 02:23:12 PM

Cous cous! What with?

I would top with some lamb braised in a sauce of honey, cinnamon, apricot and tomato topped with some flaked almonds. Simple!  :)

jlaurson

Quote from: bhodges on March 27, 2009, 01:31:24 PM
I *love* the real stuff.  (Actually the Kraft product isn't so bad, as long as you don't spill any of the yellow powdered cheese on anything valuable.  ;D)

But real mac 'n' cheese, mmm

--Bruce

This is how Mac'n'Cheese looks where I'm currently living:

Although we call it "Kaesspatzen" or "Kaesespaetzle" or some variation on that. Topped with crispy onions. Just as addictive.

Diletante

Orgullosamente diletante.