What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harpo

Quote from: jlaurson on July 10, 2009, 01:37:58 AM
I am happy for your enjoyment... but please don't call it French Fries. You made Freedom Wedges.

But seriously folks... Fries (Belgians being the masters of the Pommes Frites) are fried, not baked. And not mucked about

Frites in Belgium (and France) are of course way better, but have pity on those of us who are trying to cut calories and fat and are looking for acceptable pseudo-fries.

I went to Belgium once and thought that they cooked everything better. Thinking I knew French, though, I ordered "plateau de fruits de mer", not realizing that everything would be raw, including little tiny snails whose "meat" you had to extract with a pin. Fortunately, I like raw shellfish. Belgian chocolate shoppes are superb--"cream" fillings taste like real cream.
If music be the food of love, hold the mayo.

Harpo

I went to a restaurant tonight and, for the first time, ordered a vegetable plate as my main dinner course. I was a little apprehensive, but it consisted of: mixed mushrooms with artichokes, beans with rice, baby bok choy with baby corn, and arugula salad with apricots. Yum! My body is not used to being that healthy!

I do sometimes order veggie plates for lunch at some of the local diners, but here in the Southeast, veggie choices include fried okra or squash, sweet potato/marshmallow casserole and macaroni and cheese, more fat and sugar than vitamins. I always get fried okra--it's sort of like popcorn

Mozart

The falafel tonight was fantastic 11 stars out of 5. Its usually like an appetizer but I didn't feel like eating anything but it. I used whole grain bread too..fresh and soft...mmmmhmmm
"I am the musical tree, eat of my fruit and your spirit shall rejoiceth!"
- Amadeus 6:26

Lilas Pastia

For our annual work barbeque I fixed a big seafood salad: tons of crabmeat-flavoured  pollock, shrimps, diced lebanese cucumbers, chopped celery stalks, 'garden vegetables' mix (green beans, diced carrots, corn), garden-chopped chives, mayonnaise, cucumber dressing etc. Plus seasoning and sundry ingredients,  We had lots of fun  ;).

Brünnhilde ewig

Everybody out for Sunday dinner at KFC? Just as I sat down to my Sunday dinner I decided it looks good enough to share with you.

Garlic-mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli with Greek yogurt, a chunk of baked Leberkäs and for dessert cantaloupe with Greek Honey yogurt. All this accompanied by a glass of 2003 Kiona Cabernet Merlot.

The Zenith? That's my antique transister radio sitting at the table with me, while I am eating and listening to the local news. Interesting stuff too, like our local bicyclist Tyler Farrah is No. 130something in the Tour de France. He was No. 3 but took a bad spill a few days ago putting him way back.

Dr. Dread

DavidW

Dr. Dread

Quote from: DavidW on July 13, 2009, 06:19:28 AM
I thought you were on a diet! ;D

Just the light, fluffy ones.  8) Not many around here.  :P

Brian

Quote from: MN Dave on July 13, 2009, 06:29:59 AM
Just the light, fluffy ones.  8) Not many around here.  :P
I hear Rob Newman's is a good emetic.

Jay F

I cut up a watermelon into cubes, put it in a large serving bowl, throw in a pint or two of blueberries, and the juice and zest of one lime, and some honey. I leave the juiced, zested lime halves in the bowl.

Stir, serve. It's really good a day later, and you can use two limes if you want.

Harpo

Tonight I sauteed soft shell crabs and served them with a shitake mushroom slaw with cabbage, carrots and watercress. Also ate more ice cream than necessary.

Novi

Quote from: nicht schleppend on July 13, 2009, 01:55:24 PM
I cut up a watermelon into cubes, put it in a large serving bowl, throw in a pint or two of blueberries, and the juice and zest of one lime, and some honey. I leave the juiced, zested lime halves in the bowl.

Stir, serve. It's really good a day later, and you can use two limes if you want.

Sounds yummy.

I reckon a splash of stoli would be nice as well. :)
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

ChamberNut

A bowl of organic blueberries, cherries and strawberries.  :)

They are in season, and cheap, so getting my fill right now!

Mozart

I'll try to roast some chickpeas with spices tomorrow or Thursday. Someone told me they come out tasting like crunchy chips (crisps) if you do it right. Chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, oil and who knows what else I'll through in! I'm excited.

What can one do with lentils? I usually make them with brown rice.

Brünnhilde ewig

Try them as a salad. Cold, chopped onions or shallots, grated garlic, slivers of carrots and marinate an hour or so in your own recipe of vinaigrette. I like to add some curry powder.

Novi

Quote from: Mozart on July 14, 2009, 10:39:58 PM
I'll try to roast some chickpeas with spices tomorrow or Thursday. Someone told me they come out tasting like crunchy chips (crisps) if you do it right. Chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, oil and who knows what else I'll through in! I'm excited.

With brown or puy lentils (ones that hold their shape when cooked), I cook in stock, toss in chunks of goat's cheese, and add roast eggplant or capsicums or whatever vegetables I have in the fridge. A handful of rocket is also nice.

Red lentils (the ones that go mushy) are good for dahl or soup.

How did the chickpeas go? I used to be really lazy about cooking them from scratch as tinned ones aren't too bad, but recently took the time to do so and found that they taste a lot better. The overnight soaking business doesn't work too well with my somewhat ad hoc feeding habits. :P
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

jlaurson

Quote from: Mozart on July 14, 2009, 10:39:58 PM

1.) Yes... but I've succeeded a few times, but not managed to do it right very often. I love adding obscene amounts of rosemary.
Abstain from garlic powder... better to add a smashed clove in at a later stage.

2.) Lentils -- You'll find pictures there, too.

Quote from: jlaurson on May 19, 2009, 03:32:22 PM
From some days ago: Pictures of the Lenti/Oyster Mushroom dish with Leeks.

Quote from: jlaurson on May 22, 2009, 06:36:20 AM
Two days ago and today:

Small Arugula-Carrot Salad

Salad on warm French Lentils with hot Tomatoes and Lox

Lentils, if you don't add too much water, can be cooked well without becoming mushy. The starchiness can be avoided by draining/washing. That's not at all necessary, but it gets you away from the mush and opens up many new uses for very clean looking plates. As a side with meat... as part of salads...

You can also substitute 1/3 (or less) of your rice for risotto with lentils. Take long-cooking lentils like Soret du Puy (among the tastiest, in any case) so that you don't have mushy lentils and hard rice in the end.

Obvious solutions are to go Indian and make Daal-like concoctions or lentil-based curries.

Mozart

Well I'll try to make the chickpeas tomorrow, better go leave them in water!

What is wrong with garlic powder?

I read for a lentil based vegetarian hamburger but...I'm far to lazy or not good enough of a cook to pull it off. Maybe one day....

Mozart

Ehhh I kind of have a busy eating schedule...I think I'll have to delay the chickpeas till Monday.

jlaurson

Quote from: Mozart on July 15, 2009, 09:10:58 AM
What is wrong with garlic powder?

It's nasty. Yuck. Yuckyuck.