What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toledobass

Here's some pics of the confit on some bitter greens with a mustard caper vinaigrette.

Crisping up the skin:

The salad:

Craklin' closeup:

Allan

bhodges

I'll be right over! Oh, wait...you're 500 miles away... 8)

Surely you must win the Chef of the Week award. Those photos are mouthwatering.

--Bruce

SonicMan46

Thanks for the pics, Allan - ALL looks great!  Dave :)

toledobass

I roasted some pork shoulder and made some tacos with a super spicy arbol chili salsa.  Delicious.

Jay F

Quote from: toledobass on February 05, 2014, 10:19:19 PM
I roasted some pork shoulder and made some tacos with a super spicy arbol chili salsa.  Delicious.

Is pork shoulder a meat that braises well, or is roasting the thing? This all sounds so delicious.

toledobass

Sorry J,

I didn't see your post till now.  Shoulder is great for either,  it's best prepared with long time/low temp cooking.  Slow roasting is a dry technique and braising is a wet technique,  the results will differ in taste but more so with texture. 

Hope that helps!
Allan

toledobass

Been cooking from the wonderful cookbook Plenty.  Riffed this from one of his recipes:

Lentil salad with broiled eggplant!

Allan

bhodges

Allan, you could be the inaugural chef for a new series: GMG, The Restaurant.  8)

--Bruce

Bogey

Quote from: toledobass on February 28, 2014, 09:57:33 AM
Sorry J,

I didn't see your post till now.  Shoulder is great for either,  it's best prepared with long time/low temp cooking.  Slow roasting is a dry technique and braising is a wet technique,  the results will differ in taste but more so with texture. 

Hope that helps!
Allan

Word.  You might enjoy this one....spicy, but POW!  The key is the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and Dr. Pepper.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/03/spicy-dr-pepper-shredded-pork/

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

toledobass

Another riff out of the cookbook Plenty which I've been making a lot of dishes out of lately.  Cold ramen noodles with eggplant and mango.

Bogey

Quote from: toledobass on March 09, 2014, 10:56:55 AM
Another riff out of the cookbook Plenty which I've been making a lot of dishes out of lately.  Cold ramen noodles with eggplant and mango.

This in last Wed. NY Times, my friend.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/05/dining/ramens-big-splash.html?_r=0
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

toledobass

I saw that!  I've got some work to do though, off of that list, only been to Toto which is a really fun place to eat.

Jay F

Quote from: Bogey on March 01, 2014, 05:26:21 AM

Word.  You might enjoy this one....spicy, but POW!  The key is the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and Dr. Pepper.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/03/spicy-dr-pepper-shredded-pork/

Thanks, Bill. That looks good, and easy. A friend of mine is fond of using the same cut of pork, only he braises it in milk, from a Marcella Hazan cookbook. I made it once, but wasn't as impressed as I think I would be with this one.

SonicMan46

Tapas - new restaurant in downtown Winston-Salem called Mundo - our first try after seeing a movie - advertised as 'global tapas' meaning (after seeing the detailed menu) dishes from around the Mediterranean basin (and elsewhere); we shared 6 items:

Vietnamese Venison Springrolls - meat, fresh shitake mushrooms, scallions filling; thin & crusty wrapping.
Grilled Octopus Chalkidiki Salad - romaine lettuce, fennel, artichoke hearts, grapefruit, cucumber - salad for the meal!
Calamari Ricardo - lightly breaded squid rings w/ lemon, capers, peppers of different types.
Shish Tawook - Lebanese lemon garlic chicken on skewers w/ homemade Tzatziki sauce - chicken was moist w/ a great grilled flavor.
Lamb Lula Kababs - Armenian ground lamb on skewers w/ parsley, garlic, & bulgar served w/ the same Tzatziki sauce.
Gambas Jerez - pan fried shrimps w/ mushrooms, sherry, parsley, & garlic cream sauce served over a grilled baguette.

I'm not always a big tapas fan but this was quite delicious, especially for our modest town - we plan to return!  :)  Dave

toledobass

Sounds delicious all around! 

Why not a fan? 

A

toledobass

For dinner I am making split pea soup with a grilled cheese sandwich.

SonicMan46

Quote from: toledobass on March 12, 2014, 01:22:47 PM

Hi Allan - I've never had that combo but LOVE peas & cheese - enjoy! :)

Susan has choir tonight and picked up some pig meat from you know where!  Dave

toledobass

Ah man....you know what that pic does to me!

SonicMan46

Quote from: toledobass on March 12, 2014, 01:46:40 PM
Ah man....you know what that pic does to me!

Sorry, friend - haven't shown that pic in a while - BTW, believe that I may have mentioned a book by Bob Garner on NC Barbecue (newest edition from 2012 w/ 'top' recommendations) - local publisher - Little Richard's is currently in his top 10 for the state, so if you're ever passing through the 'Old North State', then maybe a must purchase (I have it on my iPad - $10 Amazon); of course, Lexington is just 45 mins from us w/ the best clustering of Bob's recommended BBQ places here.  Dave :)

Bogey

Quote from: toledobass on March 12, 2014, 01:22:47 PM

That is like Monet saying he is going to draw a bridge and paint a few flowers.   ;D