Forum members who have actually met face-to-face

Started by Ugh!, September 26, 2008, 12:46:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

springrite

Time for the First International GMG Convention!

Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Dundonnell

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on February 24, 2009, 05:26:37 PM
And dogs ?? What about dogs ??  :'(.

My cat exhibits many of the characteristics of a dog! She greets my arrival home by meowing loudly, follows me about and after I have been away for a few days sleeps on my bed curled up close to me :)

Although I cannot take her for walks I do feel often that I get the best of both worlds ;D ;D

karlhenning

Dundonnell

Quote from: Mn Dave on February 25, 2009, 09:24:28 AM
Fargo, North Dakota.  8)

Oh no! People get bumped off there in the snow ::) I have seen it on film 8)

karlhenning

It wasn't really "based on a true story" . . . .

8)

Christo

Quote from: Dundonnell on February 02, 2009, 04:26:22 PM
The afore-mentioned (and utterly exhausted!) Dundonnell has now arrived home after a long delay at Schipol Airport in Amsterdam because of the snow in Great Britain ;D

Although the London airports were closed and all flights cancelled, Edinburgh Airport had been kept open(just!). However the flight was delayed and Dundonnell spent a total of five hours enjoying the sights, sounds and other amenities of Schipol ;D ;D

However, he has now arrived safely home and had an extremely pleasant few days in the Netherlands...although he did not realise how cold it could be in January :) :)

(Changing tense)....I would like to put on record my very grateful thanks to my two Dutch friends Christo and Jezetha(the two Johans) for their tremendous kindness in showing my friend and myself around Utrecht and Delft respectively and in extending such warm friendship and hospitality :) It demonstrates how a shared love of music can translate into a bond of humanity and fellowship and how perceptions of the personalities and characters of internet friends can indeed be reflected and confirmed in the reality of a face-to-face meeting :) :)

Photographs to follow ;D

I look forward to meeting Vandermolen(Jeffrey) soon and very much hope that one day soon we may all meet up together :)

Now....BED!! ;D

Great to read all the stories and see all the pictures posted in this thread during my (partial) absence! Taking a special interest in meetings between BSE, I thoroughly enjoyed the stories from London, Delft and Utrecht especially. Hope for future encounters of this kind!  8)

(I was both busy and staying in Germany, these weeks, so I couldn't join my GMG friends for a while, but hope to frequent this place a bit more from now on.)  :D

(BTW, an outcome of one of these meeting being, that I listened a lot to William Wordsworth's Second and Third Symphonies in Germany, so that I can testify about my admiration for yet another master symphonist, whose neglect is imcomprehensible. More of this kind to follow. )  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Dundonnell

I am so very pleased to have converted you to Wordsworth, Johan :)

I wish that I could believe that we shall be able to hear more of his symphonies one day....but who knows :)

I hope that you had a pleasant time in Germany following in the footsteps but not suffering the same unfortunate fate as the late Publius Quinctilius Varus and his three legions ;D

vandermolen

Nice to see you back Johan. I have also warmed to the Wordsworth symphonies (they are unlike those of Walton  ;D) and have been especially enjoying Butterworth's 4th Symphony and Simonsen's No 2 - a wondeful score - oops, I am not supposed to talk about music here  :-X Yes, here's to more meetings with the BSE and others  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Fellow GMG member Catison (Brett) is staying in Delft the coming three months. If all goes according to plan, we'll meet up this coming Saturday!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Joe_Campbell

Any members here from Newfoundland, Canada (more specifically, St. John's)? I'll be there in just over a month: wondering if there are fellow forum members I could get connected with. :)

Harry

Quote from: Jezetha on May 06, 2009, 12:25:12 PM
Fellow GMG member Catison (Brett) is staying in Delft the coming three months. If all goes according to plan, we'll meet up this coming Saturday!

Yep, all the fun is in the other part of Holland, no wonder we Northerners feel so isolated......... ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Jezetha on May 06, 2009, 12:25:12 PM

Have a great time. I have very happy memories of my visit to Leiden last year.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Harry on May 06, 2009, 01:46:54 PM
Yep, all the fun is in the other part of Holland, no wonder we Northerners feel so isolated......... ;D

Well, cheer up, Harry! You're much nearer the coming Dopper Festival, which starts this September in your province. I'm coming to Groningen next year (God willing) to attend a performance of Dopper's Requiem...

Look here (nice site):

http://www.s3producties.nl/
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on May 06, 2009, 01:50:53 PM
Have a great time. I have very happy memories of my visit to Leiden last year.

So have I.  :) I'm looking forward to seeing Brett. He was on Facebook tonight, "stealing a flaky Internet connection" from his neighbours...

Dundonnell

Quote from: Jezetha on May 06, 2009, 01:53:08 PM
So have I.  :) I'm looking forward to seeing Brett. He was on Facebook tonight, "stealing a flaky Internet connection" from his neighbours...

If Brett is made to feel as welcome as was I in Delft in February-as I know that he will be-he will enjoy the meeting immensely :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Harry on May 06, 2009, 01:46:54 PM

Well, for god's sake, Harry, my daily drive to work would take me from North to South! You guys need to get out more. ;D

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Quatuor Mosaiques - K 421b 428 String Quartet #16 in Eb 1st mvmt - Allegro non troppo
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)