What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

Series in progress, the Kominsky Method - makes me both howl with laughter and well up... loving it.

Completed series in the last few weeks :

Hinterland - Welsh crime series - moody, slow in a very good way, gripping and stunning scenery

The Good Cop (Tony Danza, Josh Groban) - entertaining but predictable...but entertaining.

Atypical - About an autistic teenager, being a teenager. Very enjoyable and intelligently handled.

House of cards - caught up with the last season, very poor.

Ozark - in hindsight, ok-ish, waning interest as it went on...

Happy Valley - great crime series again.
Olivier

vandermolen

Les Miserables BBC. Part 6 last night - an extended concluding episode. I have thoroughly enjoyed this powerful and moving drama.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 03, 2019, 01:08:34 PM
8) 8) 8)

That episode Introduces Q, one of the great Star Trek characters.

Sarge

Cheers, Sarge!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

drogulus

I'm watching Shogun in HD. I remember it as being really good and it is. It does have a a very TV movie-ish look about it. For its time it was a real advance in telling a complex story in quite adult terms.

The story is that the producers wanted Albert Finney for the role Chamberlain played. They got the right guy, he holds the screen and drives the story as well as anyone could.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

SimonNZ

Billions, season three

and still wondering why this terrific show isn't more talked about

Asia Kate Dillon was a really interesting addition to season two and gets room to shine in three

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: vandermolen on February 04, 2019, 03:46:12 AM
Les Miserables BBC. Part 6 last night - an extended concluding episode. I have thoroughly enjoyed this powerful and moving drama.

If I may ask, Jeffrey, have you read the book? I am currently reading it unabridged which is no small task. For years I thought I had read the whole thing.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 03, 2019, 01:08:34 PM
8) 8) 8)

That episode Introduces Q, one of the great Star Trek characters.

Sarge

I had the opposite reaction, I always found Q annoying.

Sef

Russian Doll

Thoroughly enjoyed binge watching this. Not exactly an original concept, but if you start then be prepared to finish it.
"Do you think that I could have composed what I have composed, do you think that one can write a single note with life in it if one sits there and pities oneself?"

lisa needs braces

New series based on James Clavell's Shogun will be produced...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fx-orders-shogun-limited-series-1132074

I am always chasing the high that first reading Clavell's Shogun gave me...

drogulus

Quote from: -abe- on February 09, 2019, 05:55:28 AM
New series based on James Clavell's Shogun will be produced...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fx-orders-shogun-limited-series-1132074

I am always chasing the high that first reading Clavell's Shogun gave me...

One of the remarkable things about the 1980 series was that while the Eurocentric perspective was there, the Japanese perspective was presented to an unusual degree, so that as the story develops you are more and more seeing the Europeans from a Japanese perspective.

"There's a lot of really fun and fascinating work going on to try to balance the story out and tell it from both points of view," said the exec. "We're also casting ... really, really wonderful Japanese actors. I agree with your assessment that if [it is to] just sort of exoticize and fetishize Japanese culture through Western eyes and the male gaze, it would probably not fly. But I think there's an exciting opportunity to tell the collision of two cultures from both perspectives."

No hacks like Toshiro Mifune need apply? Let's see what comes out of this de-fetishizing and male-less gazing. Will it be true to the Japan of 1600, or will everything be correct for the present day audience? It looks like the new series is determined to respect the current tastes in the way the 1980 version didn't.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

George

Quote from: Sef on February 08, 2019, 12:14:52 PM
Russian Doll

Thoroughly enjoyed binge watching this. Not exactly an original concept, but if you start then be prepared to finish it.

Enjoyed that so much that I watched the whole thing again a few days later.

Also watching the first three episodes from season 3 of this series:

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

XB-70 Valkyrie

Castle Rock on Hulu -- very interesting and creepy as ****!

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Omicron9

Quote from: Sef on February 08, 2019, 12:14:52 PM
Russian Doll

I binge-watched the entire series yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Not an original basic concept, but I like where they took it, which was pretty original.  Good performances as well.

"Signature-line free since 2017!"

JBS

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on February 05, 2019, 10:08:02 AM
I had the opposite reaction, I always found Q annoying.

I am with Sarge. Q was in fact the main reason I ever watched ST:TNG.

(And compared to Wesley Crusher, how could anyone be annoying?)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

NikF4

My wife loved ST: TNG. Most days I used to rent out a VHS cassette of it for her - two episodes on each tape - which kind of illustrates how long ago it was. I don't remember her offering a strong opinion on Q one way or another, but I'll always have a soft spot for the show as a whole because she got so much pleasure from it.

Meanwhile, I got to see a couple of episodes of the latest Star Trek incarnation. It's nice to see some updates in the form of how relationships are portrayed. But it's not nice to see characters such as that terrible woman who is written as being pushy and immature (pandering to the millennial audience?) regardless of the scenario depicted. Let's be honest, Data would be berated by Picard or Riker or whoever if he committed a faux pas or strayed too far from acceptable social norms, but this current character is clearly never to be questioned about her childish behaviour. Yeah, millennial character insertion, right there.  ;D

e: same with the current Doctor Who - everything about seems that it needs to be so agreeable. I know,  appealing to a varied overseas market for the BBC and therefore a huge money maker etc. But I felt I should be watching it while eating avocado toast, checking my phone every few minutes, then when it's over having a nap while covered by my favourite blanky.

drogulus

Killing Eve is coming back in April. That will be fun.

Right now I'm watching the original Wallander. I really like it and I'm not sure I'll want to watch the other one.

Ken B

Quote from: drogulus on February 11, 2019, 12:44:10 PM

Right now I'm watching the original Wallander. I really like it and I'm not sure I'll want to watch the other one.
We gave up on the English one pretty quickly. And we both usually like KB.

Daverz

Quote from: drogulus on February 11, 2019, 12:44:10 PM

Is that the one with Krister Henriksson?  Wasn't there also a German series?

George

Funny You Should Ask - a funny game show where comedians give funny answers to trivia questions then give their real answer. My girlfriend and i have been recording it every day and watching it at night. Airs twice a day.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

drogulus

Quote from: Daverz on February 11, 2019, 06:12:46 PM
Is that the one with Krister Henriksson?  Wasn't there also a German series?

Yes, that's the one. I don't know about a German version.