Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Octave

John, by coincidence I was just going to ask the forum about the comparative sound quality of Genesis' LAMB in particular (old ~90s edition vs. new ~2009 regular cd edition).  I meant to post to the Genesis thread a couple of weeks ago but zoned out.

Duty:

[asin]B0000251JM[/asin]
His Name Is Alive: STARS ON E.S.P. (4AD, 1996)
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Octave on April 02, 2014, 01:52:00 AMJohn, by coincidence I was just going to ask the forum about the comparative sound quality of Genesis' LAMB in particular (old ~90s edition vs. new ~2009 regular cd edition).  I meant to post to the Genesis thread a couple of weeks ago but zoned out.

I actually haven't heard these 2007-08 remasters (yet). I think I'll be able to hear them early, though, as I bought them directly through Amazon and they offer that 'Auto-rip' program so I can transfer these albums via iCloud to iTunes and put them on my iPod. I'll definitely let you know, but will probably post in the Genesis thread.

kishnevi

A tablet at Best Buy.  Asus/Google/Nexus 7.   Takes the idea of minimal documentation to a new level, and not necessarily a good one.  I will have to get the Internet connection set up tomorrow or Friday, so right now it's sitting idly in its box, albeit fully charged. 

Mirror Image

Just bought:

Bought the 2013 Deluxe Edition with a new studio remix by Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree.

DavidW

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 02, 2014, 05:15:56 PM
A tablet at Best Buy.  Asus/Google/Nexus 7.   Takes the idea of minimal documentation to a new level, and not necessarily a good one.  I will have to get the Internet connection set up tomorrow or Friday, so right now it's sitting idly in its box, albeit fully charged.

Nice!  Is this an upgrade or a first tablet?  I use an Ipad Mini.  Despite the poor resolution and specs, my only real complaint is a slow buggy browser and the fact that some sites are just not mobile device friendly.  I did try the Nexus 7, but I like the simplicity and elegance of Apple.  I hope that you enjoy your new tablet.

Nearly a week ago I ordered a new laptop.  A desktop replacement 17 inch monster.  It is from Lenova, and I find it cheaper to order straight from them.  They're manufacturing it now.  Should ship on Monday.

kishnevi

Quote from: DavidW on April 03, 2014, 05:35:55 PM
Nice!  Is this an upgrade or a first tablet?  I use an Ipad Mini.  Despite the poor resolution and specs, my only real complaint is a slow buggy browser and the fact that some sites are just not mobile device friendly.  I did try the Nexus 7, but I like the simplicity and elegance of Apple.  I hope that you enjoy your new tablet.

Nearly a week ago I ordered a new laptop.  A desktop replacement 17 inch monster.  It is from Lenova, and I find it cheaper to order straight from them.  They're manufacturing it now.  Should ship on Monday.

First tablet ever.  I'm still taking baby steps with it, and have yet to set up a real online connection other than with free wifi at work, and finding out how limited that can actually be.  Learning curve will probably high and a little long, but this way I don't need to replace my old desktop which is fine for Quicken and typing letters and stuff; I just needed a better Internet connection than what I had (dialup on an XP machine!)   

Principal reason I went with the Nexus was price--a couple of hundred dollars cheapare than Microsoft's Surface or anything they were offering at the Apple store.

Mirror Image

Just bought:

My Dad owns all of Yes' discography, but I don't and this seemed like a cheap way to acquire their best albums under one roof. I've already heard many negative comments about the flimsy sleeves in the box set, but I don't really care. You've got to make a compromise somewhere for this great price. Also, Amazon offers the 'Auto-Rip' service for this set when buying directly through them, so I definitely jumped on that as well. I've already loaded this set on my 'prog' iPod and did quite a bit of editing when I transferred the set. One of the things I did was give each disc their original album covers and, of course, in doing this I renamed each disc with its' proper title like Close To The Edge, The Yes Album, Fragile, etc. No progressive rock fan should be without at least Yes' better efforts.

Mirror Image

Just bought:

The newly remastered release from 2007 (I believe?).

North Star

Bought these today at the biannual sale of a department store

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

Just bought:

Bought for $23 and includes the 'Auto-Rip' via iCloud. Seemed like a good deal to me, especially since several of these albums I don't own.

Mirror Image

Just bought:

I purchased this set for $128 via Amazon.de. My dad owns all of these albums of course and several editions of them, but he doesn't own the 2011 remasters of any of these and I figured this was a great way for myself to own all the studio albums. The price was certainly right as I've seen this go for much more than I paid on Amazon.de. 8)

Moonfish

What a deal MI! I must admit that I am at heart a PF fan myself although it has not been something I usually listen to. Hmm, but all these posts about their albums makes me feel like I need to take a peak at them once again.   Amazing how much cheaper these sets are in Germany. Why is that you think? Prices set to accommodate to a different economy? This set is drastically different in terms of cost. Hmm, such treasures! You are going to have a blast with that set!!!
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on April 16, 2014, 10:32:08 PM
What a deal MI! I must admit that I am at heart a PF fan myself although it has not been something I usually listen to. Hmm, but all these posts about their albums makes me feel like I need to take a peak at them once again.   Amazing how much cheaper these sets are in Germany. Why is that you think? Prices set to accommodate to a different economy? This set is drastically different in terms of cost. Hmm, such treasures! You are going to have a blast with that set!!!

Thanks, Moonfish. Yeah, it was quite a deal as I've been looking on various Amazon sites and even eBay, but never found as good of a price as I did on Amazon.de. I'm not sure why their set is cheaper. Like you said, it could very well be priced according to their economy? I really have no idea, but I'm glad I jumped on it when I did. :)

As for listening to Floyd, well I think they're one of those progressive bands that you either love or hate. Their sound is so unique. I have heard all of their studio albums and most of their official live albums (I haven't heard any bootlegs of them) and they've just been a favorite of mine for so long. It seems that the older I get, the more I'm able to appreciate them. Here's what I wrote about them on FB:

Along with Genesis, Yes, and King Crimson, Pink Floyd, for me, exemplify the best of what rock music has to offer a listener. They explore wide open sonic terrains but always with an earthy resonance that echoes through the aural tapestry.

HIPster

That Floyd set is incredible!  Nice score, MI.

And MI, I have a Genesis question for you, which I've posted in the Genesis thread.  Very much appreciate the nod in the Genesis direction as of late!  Thanks. 

Thread duty ~

Aion/Dead Can Dance
[asin]B001FZ0A7M[/asin]
Medieval Prog! 8)  Was interested in the MoFi SACD, but the price was just too high. . .

Pat Metheny/Dave Holland/Roy Haynes - Question and Answer (Remastered)
[asin]B001ECE6BW[/asin]
Grabbed the remaster of this for a song.  ;)  I've had the original since it was released and will be interested in hearing how this version compares.  My favorite Metheny album by a mile.  I am a fan of Haynes' work with Coltrane and he is simply stunning on this album.  Dave Holland is the bass player to my mind.

A great album.

Hot Tuna - Double Dose
[asin]B008OI8EZI[/asin]
One of the great live albums of the '70's. 

Looking forward to hearing this latest edition from Culture Factory.
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: HIPster on April 18, 2014, 07:11:48 AM
That Floyd set is incredible!  Nice score, MI.

And MI, I have a Genesis question for you, which I've posted in the Genesis thread.  Very much appreciate the nod in the Genesis direction as of late!  Thanks.

Yeah, the Floyd are incredible. No doubt! I'll answer your question about Genesis on the Genesis thread...

George

Oh, by the way, which one's Pink?
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Pat B

Mirror Image

Just bought Peter Gabriel's first four albums (I'm sure more will follow):

I believe my dad owns No. 1 and Security, but I don't recall running across Scratch or Melt in his collection. I know he owns the originals of these albums, so it will be nice to have the newest remasters.

Mirror Image

Remember when I said more Gabriel will probably follow? Well...it did:

The Plays Live album I bought is the 2-CD set not the 'Highlights' compilation. Definitely looking forward to revisiting some of these Gabriel albums and some of them I never heard before.