Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 11, 2014, 01:09:39 PM
Well, you have to look at it this way: my CD collecting habit is my smoking and drinking money. ;D

Ha ha! You would certainly be dead by now.... Good thing you chose music rather than the Dionysian path!  :P
Personally I cringe at times when my VISA bill arrives. Still, it is for a good cause...  >:D
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on May 11, 2014, 01:49:54 PM
Ha ha! You would certainly be dead by now.... Good thing you chose music rather than the Dionysian path!  :P
Personally I cringe at times when my VISA bill arrives. Still, it is for a good cause...  >:D

This certainly is true. I would rather buy something I could enjoy rather than never see again. Well people do get to see their alcohol the next morning. ;) :D

Thread duty:

Sergeant Rock

Arrived today: Emmylou Harris Original Album Series Vol.2, including Thirteen and Evangeline on CD for the first time. Since the box costs just 16 Euro, duplicating the other three albums doesn't bother me.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

EigenUser

A classical purchase, but not a recording:
[asin]0486419002[/asin]
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Mirror Image

Quote from: EigenUser on May 12, 2014, 12:15:43 PM
[asin]0486419002[/asin]

Nice, Nate.

EigenUser

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 12, 2014, 12:16:45 PM
Nice, Nate.
I like getting scores of things that I have trouble with because I like challenging myself. A couple of months ago I purchased the score for the Ligeti "Ramifications" for this exact reason -- I never really 'got' it. Now I love it.

EDIT: When I was at the music store earlier today, I almost got the "Five Pieces", but it was paired (in the same book) with the (Schoenberg) "Pelleas et Melisande". I am not aware of the reputation of the latter piece (though I've heard of it) so I didn't get it -- also, the "Pelleas" took up like 4/5ths of the pages.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on May 12, 2014, 12:15:43 PM
[asin]0486419002[/asin]
Whew!  ??? When I saw your name in this thread Nate I feared you had gone over the hill! Bad enough to lose John.

EigenUser

Quote from: Ken B on May 12, 2014, 01:58:46 PM
Whew!  ??? When I saw your name in this thread Nate I feared you had gone over the hill! Bad enough to lose John.
:) Well it's nice to be wanted. And John seems to have found a nice middle-ground now.

Mirror Image

Quote from: EigenUser on May 12, 2014, 01:51:34 PM
I like getting scores of things that I have trouble with because I like challenging myself. A couple of months ago I purchased the score for the Ligeti "Ramifications" for this exact reason -- I never really 'got' it. Now I love it.

EDIT: When I was at the music store earlier today, I almost got the "Five Pieces", but it was paired (in the same book) with the (Schoenberg) "Pelleas et Melisande". I am not aware of the reputation of the latter piece (though I've heard of it) so I didn't get it -- also, the "Pelleas" took up like 4/5ths of the pages.

Very cool, Nate. 8) Chamber Symphony No. 1 is certainly a great work. Five Pieces for Orchestra might be my favorite Schoenberg work. It has everything: the eeriness, the zaniness, and the grotesque. Fun stuff! ;)

Octave

.[asin]B001AI93XG[/asin]
Shirley & Dolly Collins: THE HARVEST YEARS (EMI, 2cd)
3 albums and some miscellany from 1969~1977
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Mirror Image

Bought these beauties a few nights ago:

All of these are Japanese SHM CDs and promise clearer, more transparent sound quality. Will be interesting to do some A/B comparisons with the 2007/2008 remixes/remasters. After I receive these, I will own three different sets of Genesis remasters. Yeah, I'm quite the hardcore fan. They are my favorite band after all.

Mookalafalas

Terrific bargain.  17 classic jazz albums on 10 CDs for $18 8)

[asin]B00F2ZROGQ[/asin]
It's all good...

Mirror Image

Added another King Crimson 40th Anniversary Edition to my collection (I own all that has been released now):

kishnevi

Barnes and Nobles had a buy 2 get the third free sale. Could not resist when I saw these three together.  Amazon pricing is about the same, or possibly even a little less, but the thrill of the hunt took over: $87 for the three together, including sales tax.

Mirror Image

Just bought:

Peter Gabriel - Up

Peter Gabriel - New Blood (2-CD Special Edition) -

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Mirror Image

Quote from: Bogey on May 26, 2014, 07:44:19 AM
Good one.

Indeed. My dad owns this one and I heard, and enjoyed, it when it came out, but since I collect Gabriel now, I thought it might be high time I pick it up.

Mirror Image

NJ Joe

"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne