Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Destiny

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 30, 2015, 02:43:51 PM
Bought three of my favorite U2 albums:

War (Deluxe Edition) -

The Unforgettable Fire (Super Deluxe Edition) -

The Joshua Tree (Super Deluxe Edition) -

Excellent buys MI - they are all great albums!. I didn't know there was a deluxe for the unforgettable fire (I do have the Joshua tree one) I may have to pick that up at some stage  :o :D

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on March 31, 2015, 01:27:48 AM
Excellent buys MI - they are all great albums!. I didn't know there was a deluxe for the unforgettable fire (I do have the Joshua tree one) I may have to pick that up at some stage  :o :D

Yeah, all great albums indeed. The Unforgettable Fire can be had for about $25-$30 in the Amazon MP.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on March 20, 2015, 07:48:45 PM

New two cd set from Intrada.  I almost fell out of my chair when I saw this one come through.  One of my all time favorite movies and scores and now it has the edition it deserves.

Hey Bill - see below - on my BD wish list - for a June release @ a good price - have the DVD, but the sound in particular will be greatly improved!  Dave :)

Mirror Image

Just bought:

Stan Getz: The Bossa Nova Albums

Bogey

Quote from: The new erato on March 30, 2015, 10:17:10 PM
Amazing to see they are still at speaking terms. Did you know that Mick grew up in Oslo (at least for some years) and spoke Norwegian as a young boy?

FWIW, they were fantastic.  Christie McVees' voice was a little weak, but I guess it is coming around.  Lindsay has more energy than my 16 year old son (who by the way was the one that wanted to see them the most).  Mick's energy level was also amazing.  The sound was solid and though the show had a lot of their hits, they also threw in a couple of surprises:

The Chain
You Make Loving Fun
Dreams
Second Hand News
Rhiannon
Everywhere
I Know I'm Not Wrong
Tusk
Sisters of the Moon
Say You Love Me
Big Love
(Lindsey Buckingham Solo)
Landslide
(Buckingham and Nicks)
Never Going Back Again
(Buckingham and Nicks)
Over My Head
Gypsy
Little Lies
Gold Dust Woman
I'm So Afraid
Go Your Own Way

Encore:
World Turning
(With Drum Solo)
Don't Stop
Silver Springs

They are heading to Europe next.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

North Star

I decided to start weightlifting  8)

[asin]0230200958[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Bogey

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 31, 2015, 08:32:46 AM
Hey Bill - see below - on my BD wish list - for a June release @ a good price - have the DVD, but the sound in particular will be greatly improved!  Dave :)

Been waiting for this!  The first bd got poor reviews.  Thanks!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mirror Image

Bought earlier:

I enjoy Bitches Brew more and more as I get older. I was quite dismissive of it when I was in my teens, but I've come to appreciate the music for what it represents, not only as a milestone in Davis' career, but how this album helped pave the way for a new generation of jazz musicians.

George

Quote from: Bogey on April 05, 2015, 09:03:35 AM
FWIW, they were fantastic.  Christie McVees' voice was a little weak, but I guess it is coming around.  Lindsay has more energy than my 16 year old son (who by the way was the one that wanted to see them the most).  Mick's energy level was also amazing.  The sound was solid and though the show had a lot of their hits, they also threw in a couple of surprises:

The Chain
You Make Loving Fun
Dreams
Second Hand News
Rhiannon
Everywhere
I Know I'm Not Wrong
Tusk
Sisters of the Moon
Say You Love Me
Big Love
(Lindsey Buckingham Solo)
Landslide
(Buckingham and Nicks)
Never Going Back Again
(Buckingham and Nicks)
Over My Head
Gypsy
Little Lies
Gold Dust Woman
I'm So Afraid
Go Your Own Way

Encore:
World Turning
(With Drum Solo)
Don't Stop
Silver Springs

They are heading to Europe next.

Wow, that's a killer set list!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Mirror Image

Just bought:

I have been eyeballing Dolphy's discography for many years and I almost kicked myself for not talking advantage of the older, now very OOP Prestige set, but, now, I'm happy to hear it has been reissued and quite affordable.

Bogey

My haul from the local record expo:

Green Destiny

Got this one last night (Godspeed You! Black Emperor's new album):

Listened to it this morning already - Very nice and not much of a stylistic departure for this group :)

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Jubal Slate

Sergeant Rock

Arrived today, an addition to a sub sub-genre in my collection: Attractive Actresses Who Made Pop Albums (Some More Successfully Than Others). Scarlett Johansson (singing Tom Waits) joins Brigitte Bardot, Vanessa Paradis, Ann-Margret, Traci Lords, Jane Birkin, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Milla Jovovich, Jennifer Love Hewitt.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Drasko

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 28, 2015, 03:33:15 AM
Arrived today, an addition to a sub sub-genre in my collection: Attractive Actresses Who Made Pop Albums (Some More Successfully Than Others). Scarlett Johansson (singing Tom Waits) joins Brigitte Bardot, Vanessa Paradis, Ann-Margret, Traci Lords, Jane Birkin, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Milla Jovovich, Jennifer Love Hewitt.

She recorded another pop album, Break Up, with Pete Yorn. I found it so-so, but it had one proper hit, Relator.

http://www.youtube.com/v/RHGecjIgJ70

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: sanantonio on April 28, 2015, 03:38:10 AM
I remember hearing that when it first came out and she was a virtual unknown - surprisingly good.

Great choice of songs, a superb band (with an alt rock vibe) make up for her lack of a strong singing voice and it all somehow works. I've listened to it twice now, and it's grown on me.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Draško on April 28, 2015, 04:19:34 AM
She recorded another pop album, Break Up, with Pete Yorn. I found it so-so, but it had one proper hit, Relator.

I did not know that (that she'd recorded another album). Catchy tune. I caught my leg keeping the beat  ;D

Sarge

HIPster

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 28, 2015, 03:33:15 AM

Sarge
Hi Sarge.

[asin]B000002TNT[/asin]

edit - I see that you have this one in your collection already.  What do think of it?  I was really skeptical, but have grown to like it.

Have you looked into She and Him?  Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward.
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Mirror Image

Not a purchase of my own, but my dad bought this SMSL headphone amplifier for me today:

I've heard good things about it and they sound great as my dad owns one just like it. Here are the specs for it:

Signal Output : RCA 2 Channel Output
Digital Receiver : DIR9001
DAC Chip : PCM1793
OPA2134 and WIMA caps
Print : Laser Carve
Case : Aluminium
Input interfaces: coaxial / Optical (with switch)
Input Frequency: 44.1,48,96 KHZ/16/24BIT
SNR:> 113db
Dynamic Range: 105db
Distortion: 1KHZ% 0.0006 following
Rated output: 1.7VPP
Frequency response :20-20KHz (-0.2 dB)
Total power <8W
Earphone output power: 65mW @ 16Ω; 130mW @ 32Ω
Headphone output distortion: 0.01% THD + N _AT_ 100mW/32Ω
Machine size: 128 * 77 * 35mm (including protruding parts)
Weight: 0.5Kg
Configuration: SD-793II x 1, the manual (in English), Japan PSE certification power x 1
Voltage: 100-240ACV global power