What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Quote from: Biffo on November 02, 2020, 07:38:34 AM
Murdoch Mysteries - Series 13 (on DVD) - getting progressively soapier but some of the quirkier stories make it worth persevering  with.

Nearing the end of season 11. Yes, a little less fresh than before, and not a little implausible too. But still funny, engaging and historically interesting (for canadian viewers anyway).

SimonNZ

Been rewatching Treme right through from the beginning.

Tonight's episode - the start of season four - is the day of the 2008 election.

vandermolen

Anyone else watching the quirky chess drama: 'The Queen's Gambit' on Netflix? (recommended)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Fëanor

Quote from: vandermolen on November 03, 2020, 12:22:56 AM
Anyone else watching the quirky chess drama: 'The Queen's Gambit' on Netflix? (recommended)

Yes, I'm liking it:  a low-key psychological drama involving a young, socially maladjusted, drug & alcohol using female chess prodigy. Pace is a bit slow at times and the issues understated but that's fine with me.

(I might like it even better if I were a chess player which I'm not ... then again maybe I wouldn't.  Chess players will need to speak to that.)

André

We are supposed to watch it in the coming weeks. My wife is arranging a viewing schedule  :D

drogulus

I have it on my watchlist at NF.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Karl Henning

My OT is.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

The new erato

Just finished episode 5 and like the interplay and drama quite a bit.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: Fëanor on November 04, 2020, 07:43:09 AM
Yes, I'm liking it:  a low-key psychological drama involving a young, socially maladjusted, drug & alcohol using female chess prodigy. Pace is a bit slow at times and the issues understated but that's fine with me.

(I might like it even better if I were a chess player which I'm not ... then again maybe I wouldn't.  Chess players will need to speak to that.)

Nice to see that some of you enjoy the series as well. I can play chess (badly) but I don't think that influenced my enjoyment of the series one way or the other. I was beating my wife at chess recently but she swept all the pieces off the board! Such a bad loser  ;D
Apparently the lead actress had never played chess before! I thought it was a fine series and I loved the ending. If you notice the matches focus more on the expressions of the players than on the chess board itself.

PS I really liked the recreation of 1950s and 60s USA and USSR.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

I heard about that chess player's story over NPR...quite interesting including how she learned to play chess.

Watched the first two episodes of Roadkill last night.  Enjoying it so far.  Irons, are you liking it any better now?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SimonNZ

Very well written and made four-parter vigilante police officer story, but what at first appeared a self-contained miniseries turns out to be only the first season in what was never picked up for a second, so all the plot lines are left unresolved. Recommended anyway.

Todd

The Queen's Gambit.  A one-trick pony of a show, but what a trick.  And that trick is Anya Taylor-Joy, who carries the whole enterprise, playing her part with nuance and range, and she makes a pill-popping, heavy-drinking loner/chess genius a compelling, fully formed character.  Everything else around her is nowhere near up to her level, though even she can't make chess interesting.  Some of the green screen scenic shots are appallingly bad.  But the lead makes the viewer forget the weaknesses.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Fëanor

Quote from: Todd on November 13, 2020, 05:29:40 AM

The Queen's Gambit.  A one-trick pony of a show, but what a trick.  And that trick is Anya Taylor-Joy, who carries the whole enterprise, playing her part with nuance and range, and she makes a pill-popping, heavy-drinking loner/chess genius a compelling, fully formed character.  Everything else around her is nowhere near up to her level, though even she can't make chess interesting.  Some of the green screen scenic shots are appallingly bad.  But the lead makes the viewer forget the weaknesses.

Yep, Queen's Gambit was great; agree with all your comments.

Currently I'm watching The Crown, season 4, and Undercover, season 2.  I'm enjoying both.

milk

Being a big fan of Tim Heidecker, I tried to watch Moonbase 8, with JC Reilly and Fred Armison. Honestly, it's a little boring. 3 really talented people though.

Brian

Quote from: Todd on November 13, 2020, 05:29:40 AM

I'm enjoying it somewhat more - really fun show - but that awful green screen shot from the hotel balcony in Mexico City cracked me up. I love the attention to set detail of hideous wallpapers, the graphic design on the posters, etc. Bill Camp as Mr. Scheibel seemed like he was impersonating Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Does anyone here watch "Taskmaster"?

drogulus

Quote from: Brian on November 18, 2020, 07:25:37 AM
Bill Camp as Mr. Scheibel seemed like he was impersonating Philip Seymour Hoffman.

That was Bill Camp all the way. On the page there wasn't that much to the character (unlike the adoptive mother). Camp brought the janitor to life. You should check out The Looming Tower to see Camp create a character as well as it can be done.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

George

Second time through this darkly fun, twisted series.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Roy Bland

SimonNZ

Finished The Crown, season three.

And while there's much to admire and its still good television, I'm disappointed that they've started playing so fast and loose with the historical record (sadly, no, that dirty limerick contest between Margaret and LBJ never happened). And a couple of big missteps the first two seasons never made - the most cring-inducing one involving a teardrop. They also seem to be galloping to quickly towards more modern timed when they could have seasons covering individual years at a more leisurely pace.

Erin Doherty wonderful as Anne, and steals every scene she's in. Loved her singing alond with "Starman" in Anne's voice.