Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opus106

Quote from: Brian on February 09, 2013, 11:27:09 AM
Another way to go about it, perhaps, since you started this thread, is to go back to the original post and add in links to each part of the continuing essay. That way if I think "oh snap I wonder what Gurn said about XYZ," I at least know where to find the link in a directory post of sorts.  :)

That is what he did with the first series. In that case, continuous reading involved having many tabs open. :( Whereas with a single thread, you have the flexibility of looking at it as a whole and in parts, as nothing prevents you from creating an index of Xs, Ys and Zeds. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Brian

Quote from: Opus106 on February 09, 2013, 11:34:07 AM
That is what he did with the first series. In that case, continuous reading involved having many tabs open. :( Whereas with a single thread, you have the flexibility of looking at it as a whole and in parts, as nothing prevents you from creating an index of Xs, Ys and Zeds. :)
Where is the "index" for that first series? It's not in the original post...

Opus106

Quote from: Brian on February 09, 2013, 11:42:44 AM
Where is the "index" for that first series? It's not in the original post...

There's a permanent link to it beneath Haydn's Gurn's avatar.
Regards,
Navneeth

Brian

Quote from: Opus106 on February 09, 2013, 11:44:38 AM
There's a permanent link to it beneath Haydn's Gurn's avatar.

D'oh! Thanks :)

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 09, 2013, 07:53:01 AM
Discovering Haydn's Music
Part 1
Introduction

During and since my previous series of Haydn essays, where I tried to give some biographical details, and a sampling of recordings, I spoke with many people in the Haus and via PM who wanted to give Haydn a chance for a listen, but just didn't know where to start. I wanted to address this in some way, but it has taken me quite some time to come up with some sort of format that might work for most people. And be simple enough for me to work with.  :)

Excellant writing as usual Gurn! Look forward to further posts!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K. on February 09, 2013, 11:57:06 AM
Excellant writing as usual Gurn! Look forward to further posts!

Thanks, Leo. I hope you will enjoy these installments as well.

Fate and Hoboken have conspired to make the first episode both the most important and the most difficult of the entire series. I hope you guys will forgive a bit of time to allow me to get it right. 106 symphonies; Crikey!  :o

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Brian

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 09, 2013, 04:38:00 PM
Thanks, Leo. I hope you will enjoy these installments as well.

Fate and Hoboken have conspired to make the first episode both the most important and the most difficult of the entire series. I hope you guys will forgive a bit of time to allow me to get it right. 106 symphonies; Crikey!  :o

8)

I'm going to be catching up on your previous series. It's making for fascinating reading!

Octave

The alternate-thread idea is not bad at all, but I wonder if you'd consider starting a dedicated Haydn blog, Gurn.  Your "amateur" (lover's) scholarship and investigation is nothing to be ashamed of, and a blog (which could always be made private/invite-only at your pleasure) could collect the entries in a second form without the intervening conversation and variation of topic (which of course I enjoy immensely), to be read one entry after the next.  For the world to see!  Please do not panic.
Similar blogs in loads of other well-tilled fields have yielded excellent conversations and impressed jaded pros.  Two cents from me.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

TheGSMoeller

Release date of Feb 26th in the US. Anyone have it yet?

Karl Henning

These later pf sonatas have fixed me with their glittering eye of late.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 10, 2013, 08:06:44 AM

Naxos Music Library has an entry for it, but it says album information is not yet available. So for NML subscribers, this will probably be uploaded next week. :)

Gurn Blanston

Hi guys, sorry I missed out on this discussion. Fierce thunderstorms during the night, no electricity from 4 am until a few minutes ago. Grrr....

Quote from: Brian on February 09, 2013, 07:49:07 PM
I'm going to be catching up on your previous series. It's making for fascinating reading!

Thanks, Brian. Hope you enjoy it.  :)

Quote from: Octave on February 09, 2013, 08:23:04 PM
The alternate-thread idea is not bad at all, but I wonder if you'd consider starting a dedicated Haydn blog, Gurn.  Your "amateur" (lover's) scholarship and investigation is nothing to be ashamed of, and a blog (which could always be made private/invite-only at your pleasure) could collect the entries in a second form without the intervening conversation and variation of topic (which of course I enjoy immensely), to be read one entry after the next.  For the world to see!  Please do not panic.
Similar blogs in loads of other well-tilled fields have yielded excellent conversations and impressed jaded pros.  Two cents from me.

Well, between you and Navneeth you have me thinking about that. It's do-able, no doubt. I just need to put adequate link markers between the two threads. And perhaps eventually move the other series' out to there too.

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 10, 2013, 08:06:44 AM

When Fey finally completes that set and  Hännsler inevitably boxes it up, I think I will get it. I have the first 5 disks, I like his style.

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 10, 2013, 03:07:44 PM

When Fey finally completes that set and  Hännsler inevitably boxes it up, I think I will get it. I have the first 5 disks, I like his style.

8)

If Fey averages 2.5 symphonies per disc, it will take up to Volume 42, and he's only on 19. This may take a while. Let's hope he records No. 80 and No. 98 before this set folds.

mahler10th

Already posted by Gurn, for reference to his last Haydn series analysis.
Do you know I've missed all of this, and am going to have to do some reading to catch up?   ???  I feel terrible that this has been here all the time and I haven't even noticed.  So...here goes... :)

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 25, 2011, 01:10:10 PM
  Part 50 - to 1809
  Part 49 - 1800-03
  Part 48 - 1799
  Part 47 - 1798
  Part 46 - 1797
  Part 45 - 1796
  Part 44 - 1795
  Part 43 - 1794
  Part 42 - 1793
  Part 41 - 1792
  Part 40 - 1791
  Part 39 - 1790
  Part 38 - 1789
  Part 37 - 1788
  Part 36 - 1787
  Part 35 - 1786
  Part 34 - 1785
  Part 33 - 1784
  Part 32 - 1783
  Part 31 - 1782
  Part 30 - 1781
  Part 29 - 1780
  Part 28 - 1779
  Part 27 - 1778
  Part 26 - 1777
  Part 25 - 1776
  Part 24 - 1775
  Part 23 - 1774
  Part 22 - 1773
  Part 21 - 1772
  Part 20 - 1771
  Part 19 - 1770
  Part 18 - 1769
  Part 17 - 1768
  Part 16 - 1767
  Part 15 - 1766
  Part 14 - 1765
  Part 13 - 1764
  Part 12 - 1763
  Part 11 - 1762
  Part 10 - 1761
  Part   9 - 1760
  Part   8 - 1759
  Part   7 - 1758
  Part   6 - 1757
  Part   5 - 1756
  Part   4 - 1754-55
  Part   3 - 1753
  Part   2 - 1751 - 52 Well, there IS nothing from those years, sorry. :D
  Part   1 - 1749-50

Discussion of sonates da chiesa

Discussion of divertimentos

Keyboard Trios Chronology List

String Quartets Chronology List

Symphonies Chronology

Style Periods in the Symphonies

Discussion of Notturni for 2 Lira & Ensemble

The Trumpet Concerto

Flute & Keyboard Trios

Masses & Secular Music

Organ Concertos Part 1

Organ Concertos Part 2

Organ Concertos Part 3

Organ Concertos Part 4

Organ Concertos Part 5

The Baryton Octets

Bogey

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 10, 2013, 04:04:31 PM
If Fey averages 2.5 symphonies per disc, it will take up to Volume 42, and he's only on 19. This may take a while. Let's hope he records No. 80 and No. 98 before this set folds.

To be sure that we just hope there are still cds available.  I have noticed a few selections (cannot recall them, but saw them) where the music was only available on download.  I am guessing in the next ten years or so that if you want a cd then it will be an older one and very few new ones will be issued. 
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Scots John on February 10, 2013, 04:19:28 PM
Already posted by Gurn, for reference to his last Haydn series analysis.
Do you know I've missed all of this, and am going to have to do some reading to catch up?   ???  I feel terrible that this has been here all the time and I haven't even noticed.  So...here goes... :)

Ah, thanks for that, John. I should have done it myself except for being (as my wife tells me) a slacker of the first water. Well, it will give you something to occupy the mind as you listen to some Haydn... :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 10, 2013, 04:04:31 PM

Quote from: Bogey on February 10, 2013, 04:22:46 PM
To be sure that we just hope there are still cds available.  I have noticed a few selections (cannot recall them, but saw them) where the music was only available on download.  I am guessing in the next ten years or so that if you want a cd then it will be an older one and very few new ones will be issued. 

At least Hogwood, although he also was quite stingy with the music (2 per disk except for the very first) gave you 3 disks in a box to compensate. I don't know that I shall live long enough to see Fey's series completed. Less than halfway and it approaches 10 years already!  ::)

8)

Bogey

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 10, 2013, 04:27:17 PM
At least Hogwood, although he also was quite stingy with the music (2 per disk except for the very first) gave you 3 disks in a box to compensate. I don't know that I shall live long enough to see Fey's series completed. Less than halfway and it approaches 10 years already!  ::)

8)

And with formats shifting and cd sales down, it may be hard to get the funding.  The lad better hurry.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Here's a question for you folks.  Might Fey's run be the last complete Haydn cycle that has a tangible format?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on February 10, 2013, 04:32:15 PM
Here's a question for you folks.  Might Fey's run be the last complete Haydn cycle that has a tangible format?

Actually, I suspect this one will;

[asin]B001NBS5NE[/asin]

(Dennis Russel Davies)

Which would be a pity.... :-\

8)