Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Quote from: Conor71 on October 28, 2016, 08:53:57 PM
Latest purchase:

Pre-ordered this upcoming release - I will receive it in mid-December.
Oxygene 1 & 2 are great so expecting this one to be good too.

I saw Jarre's Paris La Défense concert in TV back in 1990 (recorded it even on VHS) and was into Jarre for a while. However, the only Jarre CD I got was the "Images" Collection of 1991. I got tired of the artist fast. I thought the music is after all very simple. For about 25 years I didn't even think about Jarre. Now I saw another document of Jarre on TV and got intetested again. When Jarre said in the document how record companies turned down Oxygene decause the tracks are so long I realised the collection I have contains only parts of many longer tracks! I started to listen Jarre on Spotify and realised how crappy CD I have.

Jarre has both deep and commercial (entertaining) tracks. As with all artists, the commercial ones are mostly selected on these "best of" -albums. It gives a wrong impression of an artist.  The commercial tracks sound annoying when theren't deep tracks in between. Oxygene 4 sounds better, when you have heard Oxygenes 1-3 before it. I don't like Jarre's commercial tracks much, but I can tolerate them together with deeper tracks. Also, the full versions of the commercial tracks are deeper, it's the deeper parts that are edited away for the short versions.

London Kid is a stupid song in my opinion. However, Tokyo Kid is good. Calypso 2 is superior to Calypsos 1 and 3. Rendez-Vous 2 is the only really great Jarre track on "Images", because Ethnicolor 1 is so butchered.

So, I decided to collect Jarre. I can't start with Oxygene, because I want the "trilogy set" out in December. So, I started with Equinoxe:

[asin]B000024GHZ[/asin]
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

Another JMJarre:

[asin]B000025C84[/asin]

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: 71 dB on October 30, 2016, 12:28:58 AM
Another JMJarre:

[asin]B000025C84[/asin]

Quote from: 71 dB on October 29, 2016, 03:28:32 AM
[asin]B000024GHZ[/asin]

Good stuff: these are among his best records - I hope you enjoy them.

71 dB

Quote from: Conor71 on October 30, 2016, 12:02:26 PM
Good stuff: these are among his best records - I hope you enjoy them.

Thanks!  :)

Some more JMJ:

[asin]B00OYT4E3M[/asin]

[asin]B01LYSXE17[/asin] (pre-ordered)

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: 71 dB on November 01, 2016, 12:26:51 AM
Thanks!  :)

Some more JMJ:

[asin]B00OYT4E3M[/asin]

[asin]B01LYSXE17[/asin] (pre-ordered)

I like Zoolook a lot - I would love to know what you think of your new JMJ albums if you get a chance :)

Autumn Leaves

Latest purchases:

A couple of Eurythmics DVD's.

A 2-CD Live album.

71 dB

More Jarre:  :)

[asin]B000025C86[/asin]

Maestro267

Picked up yesterday:

Marillion: F.E.A.R

Yes: Relayer

71 dB

Quote from: Conor71 on November 01, 2016, 10:05:58 PM
I like Zoolook a lot - I would love to know what you think of your new JMJ albums if you get a chance :)

Ok, I have Equinoxe, Magnetic Fields and Zoolook now. Oxygene Trilogy and Rendez-Vous are (pre)ordered.

Equinoxe: In my opinion parts 1 & 2 are the best, very good electronic music. I wish part 1 wasn't so short. This is a great solid electronic album from 1978. I'd say a "must have" for anyone into electronic music.

Magnetic Fields: Again the album starts strongly, part 1 is epic. I know part 5 is a "joke", so it's a fun way to end the album. JMJ has a tendency of getting very playful and crazy/childish at times.

Zoolook: Ethnicolor and Diva are colourful and creative tracks. The rest is not on the same level. Nice album nevertheless.

I paid total 13.55 euros delivered for these three albums. Not bad.  :)

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: 71 dB on November 17, 2016, 01:55:38 AM
Ok, I have Equinoxe, Magnetic Fields and Zoolook now. Oxygene Trilogy and Rendez-Vous are (pre)ordered.

Equinoxe: In my opinion parts 1 & 2 are the best, very good electronic music. I wish part 1 wasn't so short. This is a great solid electronic album from 1978. I'd say a "must have" for anyone into electronic music.

Magnetic Fields: Again the album starts strongly, part 1 is epic. I know part 5 is a "joke", so it's a fun way to end the album. JMJ has a tendency of getting very playful and crazy/childish at times.

Zoolook: Ethnicolor and Diva are colourful and creative tracks. The rest is not on the same level. Nice album nevertheless.

I paid total 13.55 euros delivered for these three albums. Not bad.  :)

Ahh that's great you appear to have enjoyed those records :D.
Equinoxe is probably my favourite JMJ album - one of his essential ones for sure.
I think all of the compositions on Zoolook are of a high standard and I think its one of his best albums so we disagree slightly on that one but that's no problem.
13.55 euros is a good deal for all 3 - Im sure you will get many spins out of them too.

71 dB

Colin MacIntyre is a genius. This should be good:

[asin]B01AYU1DF6[/asin] The price was right, so I bought it.

Quote from: Conor71 on November 17, 2016, 02:08:52 AM
Ahh that's great you appear to have enjoyed those records :D.
Equinoxe is probably my favourite JMJ album - one of his essential ones for sure.
I think all of the compositions on Zoolook are of a high standard and I think its one of his best albums so we disagree slightly on that one but that's no problem.
13.55 euros is a good deal for all 3 - Im sure you will get many spins out of them too.

Actually I agree with Zoolook, no bad tracks there.  ;) I just think the first two tracks are better than the rest.

I just received Rendez-Vous and managed to listen to it. Part 2 has always been my favorite (25 years ago I was into Jarre, but the fever went away fast thanks to the crappy "Images" collection which gives amazingly bad impression of the artist). Part 4 is the weakest on Rendez-Vous album.

It's very easy and natural for me to like Jarre. I was just "misled" in the past with that crappy compilation album and it took for long to realise Jarre is actually quite good at what he does.  :)

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: 71 dB on November 17, 2016, 04:53:13 AM

Actually I agree with Zoolook, no bad tracks there.  ;) I just think the first two tracks are better than the rest.

Ahhh no worries, I knew you liked all the album from your first post - just noted a minor disagreement as I don't think the first 2 tracks are any better than the rest of the album :)

Quote from: 71 dB on November 17, 2016, 04:53:13 AM
I just received Rendez-Vous and managed to listen to it. Part 2 has always been my favorite (25 years ago I was into Jarre, but the fever went away fast thanks to the crappy "Images" collection which gives amazingly bad impression of the artist). Part 4 is the weakest on Rendez-Vous album.

It's very easy and natural for me to like Jarre. I was just "misled" in the past with that crappy compilation album and it took for long to realise Jarre is actually quite good at what he does.  :)

Good stuff, I like Rendez-Vous too although I don't think its as good as Equinoxe, Oxygene, Zoolook and Magnetic Fields (which are the top ones for me).
I think its easy to like JMJ too - his music is a bit cheesy and commercial I guess (just saying that with my critical hat on) but its easy to overlook this as his music is so tuneful and uplifting.
I wish you fun in your JMJ journey!  :D

71 dB

Quote from: Conor71 on November 17, 2016, 05:52:44 PM
Ahhh no worries, I knew you liked all the album from your first post - just noted a minor disagreement as I don't think the first 2 tracks are any better than the rest of the album :)

My opinion may change over the time, but for now my opinion is what it is. I am a "pseudo newbie" to Jarrre, because I have known and even liked some of his music for 25 years, but never explored him properly before now. Back in the days there was no Spotify or Youtube, not even the internet! Jarre's "Waiting for Cousteau" had just been released and I remember loaning it from a library. It is not one of Jarre's best. Calypsos 1 and 3 must have turned me away.  :D

Quote from: Conor71 on November 17, 2016, 05:52:44 PMGood stuff, I like Rendez-Vous too although I don't think its as good as Equinoxe, Oxygene, Zoolook and Magnetic Fields (which are the top ones for me).
I think its easy to like JMJ too - his music is a bit cheesy and commercial I guess (just saying that with my critical hat on) but its easy to overlook this as his music is so tuneful and uplifting.

Again, my opinions may change in time. I like the albums for different reasons and it is not easy to compare apples and oranges. Rendez-Vous 2 has this epic orchestral feel to it, but Rendez-Vous 4 is a bit stupid.

Yes, Jarre is quite cheesy and commercial -sounding at times which is one reason why I turned my back on him years ago. Now that I have collected his albums, I have much better explosure to his deeper works. Also, I have learned to appreciate commercial music much more and take it for what it is, much need fun entertainment. My taste ranges from Autechre to Katy Perry.  ;D Music can be good in so many ways.

Quote from: Conor71 on November 17, 2016, 05:52:44 PMI wish you fun in your JMJ journey!  :D

Thanks! It's fun, otherwise I wouldn't be doing this.  ;)

Now I need to wait for a few weeks for the Ozygene Trilogy set. The rest of Jarre's output is perhaps a bit iffy? 

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: 71 dB on November 18, 2016, 01:15:47 AM
My opinion may change over the time, but for now my opinion is what it is. I am a "pseudo newbie" to Jarrre, because I have known and even liked some of his music for 25 years, but never explored him properly before now. Back in the days there was no Spotify or Youtube, not even the internet! Jarre's "Waiting for Cousteau" had just been released and I remember loaning it from a library. It is not one of Jarre's best. Calypsos 1 and 3 must have turned me away.  :D

Again, my opinions may change in time. I like the albums for different reasons and it is not easy to compare apples and oranges. Rendez-Vous 2 has this epic orchestral feel to it, but Rendez-Vous 4 is a bit stupid.

Yes, Jarre is quite cheesy and commercial -sounding at times which is one reason why I turned my back on him years ago. Now that I have collected his albums, I have much better explosure to his deeper works. Also, I have learned to appreciate commercial music much more and take it for what it is, much need fun entertainment. My taste ranges from Autechre to Katy Perry.  ;D Music can be good in so many ways.

Thanks! It's fun, otherwise I wouldn't be doing this.  ;)

Now I need to wait for a few weeks for the Ozygene Trilogy set. The rest of Jarre's output is perhaps a bit iffy?

Good stuff - thanks for your detailed response: good to talk about JMJ with another fan! :D
I think I have most of Jarre's studio albums (except the last 2 collaborative ones he made - the "Electronica" ones that is) - I think we discussed the strongest albums already so that leaves Teo & Tea, Metamorphoses, Revolutions, Sessions 2000, Chronologie and Geometry of Love (there may be more but these are the ones I know from memory).
I do like all of these albums and think theres good stuff to be found on them but I cant really get into Chronologie for some reason (I think its a bit much even for JMJ). I also own the Live In China set and that's worth getting too for the original chinese-inspired tracks.
Theres plenty of JMJ to sink your teeth into :)

71 dB

Quote from: Conor71 on November 18, 2016, 01:55:47 AM
Good stuff - thanks for your detailed response: good to talk about JMJ with another fan! :D
Well, I am maybe just a semifan at this point. Definitely not a hardcore fan.

Quote from: Conor71 on November 18, 2016, 01:55:47 AMI think I have most of Jarre's studio albums (except the last 2 collaborative ones he made - the "Electronica" ones that is) - I think we discussed the strongest albums already so that leaves Teo & Tea, Metamorphoses, Revolutions, Sessions 2000, Chronologie and Geometry of Love (there may be more but these are the ones I know from memory).
I do like all of these albums and think theres good stuff to be found on them but I cant really get into Chronologie for some reason (I think its a bit much even for JMJ). I also own the Live In China set and that's worth getting too for the original chinese-inspired tracks.
Theres plenty of JMJ to sink your teeth into :)
I tried Electronica 1 on Spotify, but didn't like it much. Collaborations usually mean compromised results. Many other newer Jarre albums are missing on Spotify and are expensive to buy. So, I let them be for now. I didn't like "Les Concerts en Chine" that much, I find the chinese tracks stupid, but that's me. I'm sure there are much better options if I want Chinese music.

Chronologie and Revolutions are a bit harsh in a negative way so I am not planning to get them, at least for now. I may get "En Concert Houston/Lyon", but we'll see.

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: 71 dB on November 18, 2016, 02:56:49 AM
Well, I am maybe just a semifan at this point. Definitely not a hardcore fan.

Just my opinion but I don't pay too much attention to "levels" of fan-ness as I don't really think liking music is some sort of competition but that's just me - a fan is a fan to me in other words :).

I tried Electronica 1 on Spotify, but didn't like it much. Collaborations usually mean compromised results.

Yeah I avoided the Electronica albums for this reason too - just want to collect unadulterated JMJ.

Many other newer Jarre albums are missing on Spotify and are expensive to buy. So, I let them be for now. I didn't like "Les Concerts en Chine" that much, I find the chinese tracks stupid, but that's me. I'm sure there are much better options if I want Chinese music.

Ahh, too bad about Concerts In China but at least you gave it a go.

Chronologie and Revolutions are a bit harsh in a negative way so I am not planning to get them, at least for now. I may get "En Concert Houston/Lyon", but we'll see.

Im a bit undecided about Revolutions and you know what I think of Chronologie - in my view you could safely skip these ones unless you want to be a completest about JMJ at a later stage..
I haven't heard En Concert Houston/Lyon so if you get it I would love to know what you think of it.

71 dB

Quote from: Conor71 on November 19, 2016, 11:27:24 PM
Just my opinion but I don't pay too much attention to "levels" of fan-ness as I don't really think liking music is some sort of competition but that's just me - a fan is a fan to me in other words :).

Yeah, I am not competing here. Just letting you know that at this point at least there's a few artists more important for me than Jarre. He is in my "B-list" of favorites at the moment. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate his music. It's not easy to get on my "B-list". Jarre has potential to be on my "A-list".   Binary choices are tricky.

Quote from: Conor71 on November 19, 2016, 11:27:24 PMYeah I avoided the Electronica albums for this reason too - just want to collect unadulterated JMJ.

I see your point. Great artists are great partly because they have an unique style. Have two artists with unique styles working together and you get something less unique. I think it is better to have someone remix your song, because the remixer feels greater freedom of expressing his/her unique style, but even remixes are often bad and very rarely on the par of the original track or even better.

Quote from: Conor71 on November 19, 2016, 11:27:24 PMAhh, too bad about Concerts In China but at least you gave it a go.

Well, Spotify makes it easy to give a go. I listen to Spotify and if I like something, I try to buy it. If not, I move on.  :)
Too bad many of the newer albums are missing on Spotify (different copyright owner?)
I like parts of Concerts In China. Souvenir of China is nice for example.

Quote from: Conor71 on November 19, 2016, 11:27:24 PMIm a bit undecided about Revolutions and you know what I think of Chronologie - in my view you could safely skip these ones unless you want to be a completest about JMJ at a later stage..
I haven't heard En Concert Houston/Lyon so if you get it I would love to know what you think of it.

I may get these albums later. I want to see what happens to my interest in Jarre's music first.
I listened to En Concert Houston/Lyon on Spotify, twice I think and found it pretty solid, better than Concerts In China. I'm surprised you don't know it.

George

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here - SACD
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

kishnevi

Found on the shelves of Barnes and Noble. I blame Brian😈
[asin]B0002VNYI2[/asin]
[asin]B002JOUNHK[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 02, 2016, 04:14:36 PM
Found on the shelves of Barnes and Noble. I blame Brian😈
[asin]B0002VNYI2[/asin]
[asin]B002JOUNHK[/asin]

Great stuff, Jeffrey. Love me some Looney Tunes. They just don't make good cartoons like these anymore.