Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Octave

[asin]B000MR9DZ4[/asin]
Édith Piaf: INTÉGRALE (EMI France, 20cd)
Mainly because I found a great deal on it, and because I've liked her singing but never acquired any for keeps.  I listened to a Piaf-inspired jazz album by the trio Tethered Moon and really felt the need to have her in my life.

[asin]B00004WGY3[/asin]
Bennie Moten: BAND BOX SHUFFLE (Hep, 2cd)
To complement the slightly older recordings on the two Frog discs I got, which I am crazy about.  John R.T. Davies apparently did these Hep masters as well.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Octave

.[asin]B0002Y4T1A[/asin]
Vashti Bunyan: JUST ANOTHER DIAMOND DAY (1970, reissued ~2004)

The new erato

Quote from: Octave on September 13, 2013, 05:22:44 AM
.[asin]B0002Y4T1A[/asin]
Vashti Bunyan: JUST ANOTHER DIAMOND DAY (1970, reissued ~2004)

Wonderful Norwegian cover version of her Train Song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRsbThVOmnI

Pat B

Quote from: Octave on September 12, 2013, 09:20:30 PM
sheer volume as a building block of a music.  I felt a bit that way when I saw SunnO)))) and my pants were blowing around my ankles from all the sub-bass.  Unfortunately, I'm never able to enter the ecstatic at shows like that, because I keep thinking of all the future musical and non-musical listening experiences I might be denying to myself, and the music-in-progress (at the loud show) just never seems anywhere near worth it.  I do like a lot of those "loud" musics, though, as long as I don't have to be flattened by them.
Yes. I've never heard Sunn O))) live but I can imagine.

Geo Dude

Quote from: Octave on September 11, 2013, 11:55:09 PM
That looks awesome.  A composer friend of mine really values Haeckel's prints (?)...I need to seek out that book.

I'm very glad to think that I might have sparked your interest.  Mine was originally sparked by the cover of Richard Fortey's Horseshoe Crabs and Velvet Worms, which employs one of Haeckel's prints as the 'base' of the cover:

Quote[asin]B00B8O4V34[/asin]
Waylon Jennings: DREAMING MY DREAMS [1975]

I just broke several tables!  There was a period in the '70s where Waylon could do no wrong, and that was (I feel) his final truly great album.  It showed that Waylon could 'go soft' without going soft.

Thread duty:

(Mini)

Octave

Two sexually complicated maestros produce a runaway Eighties arthouse hit:

[asin]B000A2FHCE[/asin]
Pat Metheny & Ornette Coleman: SONG X - 20th ANNIVERSARY EDITION (Nonesuch)

DavidW

Radiohead:

[asin]B00004XONN[/asin]

Preordered the new Arcade Fire album:

[asin]B00F30S0Y0[/asin]

Pat B

Quote from: Geo Dude on September 15, 2013, 05:47:05 PM
I just broke several tables!  There was a period in the '70s where Waylon could do no wrong, and that was (I feel) his final truly great album.  It showed that Waylon could 'go soft' without going soft.
So his albums are worth getting? Country, even the "outlaw" variety, seems so singles-oriented. Though a couple Willie albums (Phases and Stages and Red-Headed Stranger) are musts.

Waylon had one of the great country voices though.

Geo Dude

Quote from: Pat B on September 24, 2013, 03:32:38 PM
So his albums are worth getting?

Yes.  Willie had excellent albums (other than the above mentioned), too.  Same with Kristofferson.

Pat B

Quote from: Geo Dude on September 24, 2013, 05:32:50 PM
Yes.  Willie had excellent albums (other than the above mentioned), too.  Same with Kristofferson.
I have a lot of Willie. Yesterday's Wine and Shotgun Willie are excellent, coherent albums but not quite at the level of Phases and Stages and Red-Headed Stranger. After that came a long sequence of cover/Christmas/duet albums that mostly are really not at the same level. I like The Troublemaker, the Lefty and Kristofferson tributes, and the post-heyday Spirit, but I wouldn't call them musts.

I'll check out some more Waylon.

Geo Dude

Quote from: Pat B on September 25, 2013, 03:22:58 PM
I have a lot of Willie. Yesterday's Wine and Shotgun Willie are excellent, coherent albums but not quite at the level of Phases and Stages and Red-Headed Stranger. After that came a long sequence of cover/Christmas/duet albums that mostly are really not at the same level. I like The Troublemaker, the Lefty and Kristofferson tributes, and the post-heyday Spirit, but I wouldn't call them musts.

I'd also label The Sound In Your Mind and Stardust as fine albums, but you're right, it goes downhill after that, with the exception of his Willie & Family Live album.

Octave

Re: the C&W conversation: do we have a Diner thread for country/related musics?  I don't really need another obsession, least of all within music, but.....

Duty/remediation:

[asin]B005MAHVUK[/asin]

[asin]B00AFYQDIY[/asin]

Elvaise

George

Quote from: Octave on September 30, 2013, 12:37:28 AM
Re: the C&W conversation: do we have a Diner thread for country/related musics?  I don't really need another obsession, least of all within music, but.....

Naw, in the non classical thread we allow both kinds of music, country and western.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Drasko

Octave

I'm pretty late to this one, but initially it's excited me the way that the later Talk Talk and Mark Hollis records once excited me, without really sounding anything similar.

[asin]B000QFBVHK[/asin]
Vic Chesnutt: NORTH STAR DESERTER (Constellation)

DavidW

Octave

Quote from: George on September 30, 2013, 03:44:45 AM
Naw, in the non classical thread we allow both kinds of music, country and western.

Jeje, yes....just in case I was unclear above, I meant that discussion of C&W was really interesting to me, as I know so little about it and have trouble chasing comps (of great singles) or original commercial albums, etc.  I thought we might have an old thread floating about.  I might create one, once I get my feet wet.

Duty:

[asin]B007AR7OGE[/asin]
Ella Fitzgerald: FIRST LADY OF SONG (Membran, 48cd)

Octave

.[asin]B001U14IQ0[/asin]
Duke Ellington: LIVE AT NEWPORT 1956 (2cd)

The 'reconstructed' mono-stereo non-studio-interpellated version from 1999.  Nate Dorward's Amazon review was useful in qualifying the success of this reconstruction, but I think I still need it.  Strange that I've never owned the full version, just the old album with most (?) of the material re-recorded in the studio. 

Geo Dude

I'm pretty sure there's a country thread floating around somewhere.  May be hard to find, though.

Thread duty:

Mirror Image

Quote from: Geo Dude on October 04, 2013, 08:59:03 PM

Thread duty:

Fantastic game, Geo! I think you'll really enjoy it. Definitely give Rayman Legends a try as well. A wholly successful follow-up. Both games are some of the best I've played in quite some time.